What the hell does context mean??? (1 Viewer)

omigodwhenover

gotta love the HSC...
HSC
I'm probably just really stupid but i find it really hard to understand. All I know is that it gives meaning to something and i know the different types but how would you use it in an essay or something? how would you use it in a sentence. Please help

A l

HSC
N/A
omigodwhenover said:
I'm probably just really stupid but i find it really hard to understand. All I know is that it gives meaning to something and i know the different types but how would you use it in an essay or something? how would you use it in a sentence. Please help
Context is the background of a text. It tells you a lot about the purpose, audience and language of the text. For example if a newspaper article talks about terrorism today, the likely context of it would be the London bombings. You can tell what context a text is by the references it makes or the issues it alludes you to. To use this example in the sentence of an essay, I would write:
"....The newspaper article 'Our Spirits Will Not Be Broken' which is set in the context of the terrorist attacks in London on July 2005, demonstrates that...."

At least that's what I think...

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
context is one of the big things to know in the last 2 yrs of school. pretty much, the context is just the influences (the things that were happening in the world) at the time the composer made the text. in otherwords, what the composer was thinking when they made the text.

omigodwhenover

gotta love the HSC...
HSC
oh okay i was confused cuz my teacher was talking about your own personal context when you're reading something

kaylz

HSC
What your teacher is talking about is the social and historical context in which you are receiving something. Your perceptions of a work may vary to that of another because of the context. You wanted it used in a sentence... here you go.
"Shakespeare's Othello can be applied to a modern context." Say for example Austen's Emma, and Clueless. Clueless is an appropriation of Emma into another social and historical context. There are contexts of setting (time, place) and contexts of reception (how you perceive something that you read).

P

pLuvia

omigodwhenover said:
context of a text is the
  • setting
  • the event that is influencing the text
  • the time customs that influence the text
  • the life of the author
  • the authors hardships, thoughts about life at that time

help this helps.. this is just from the top of my head.. :):p

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
the conditions in which the text were produced within (social/economical/political/historical)

HSC
N/A
Yeah, pretty much what everyone else has said.

You can take it as simply as -

Context = the time and place in which it was created.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)