• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What the? (1 Viewer)

rottendodo

HSC
Hi guys, first post here. I was having a go at SAM, trying to work out what subject I should drop out fo Chemistry or IT. Im ranked second in both subjects. whats annoyign me is that an 87 in Chem isnt as good as a 91 in IT... i'l say it again.. what the? Chemistry is a proper science, hard as hell, and IT is easy as. I dont exactly want to drop chemistry because it seems like so muhc more of a 'proper' subject, but it seems its easier o do better in IT. Any suggestions?

rottendodo

HSC
What do you mean by pre-aligned? does that mean that each subject goes through some kind of scaling before this happens?

rottendodo

HSC
Is that 15% of chemistry students or 15% of teh general student population? top 15% in Chemistry is probably actually harder than top 8% in IT becasue of the general quality of the students in either.
To get an 'aligned mark' I know you have to adjust for what school and rank your in, but will a chemistry mark 'align' better than an IT mark? eg If i got 85 in Chem and a 95 in IT could that align to an 87 and a 91 in IT? If thats the case then Chems the go I think.

rottendodo

HSC
does anyone know If some raw marks align better before scaling?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Aligned marks are never scaled.

Aligning and scaling are two independent processes that run in parallel.

Raw marks -> aligned marks -> HSC record of achievement

Raw marks -> scaled marks -> UAI

SAM estimates scaled marks from aligned marks (because they're the only statistics we have), but in reality no such transformation occurs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)