• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What to combine law with? (2 Viewers)

izzy88

HSC
I think you should think about what you are interested in/want to do. If you want to go into banking etc then yes doing a commerce or economics degree with the law is probably very useful. However if this isn't what you are interested in- if you want to go into the law- or don't know what you want to do- then an arts degree is always nice in that there are many broad paths you can follow. You don't need a commerce degree to get into a law firm when you've finished uni.

However you've also now mentioned engineering etc as well as law- what are you interested in? Do you want to become an engineer? If you don't want to be an engineer, why do engineering? If you aren't really interested in something, then it can be very difficult to get through that degree at university.

I do arts/law at usyd (just finished my arts component), and when I started uni i didn't really know what I was going to do afterwards (there's a good five or six years to figure that out!). To be honest, I was always going to do an arts degree at uni majoring in ancient history- I did law because I got in, with the perspective that I could drop out if I didn't like it. Surprisingly (for me anyway), I have actually enjoyed my law subjects and have done alright in them, and will probably go into law once i have finished.

If you really don't know what you want to do at uni (or what you are interested in), then pick a slightly broader second degree (commerce or arts or science), and see if you like what you do in it. If you don't you could always try and transfer into something else. (My friend started out in media/communications and transferred to arts; and another started in arts and moved to commerce).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)