What to do if... (1 Viewer)

stefgi32

Meh
HSC
N/A
I'm in prelim working towards my HSC in a TAFE environment at the moment. I want to become a veterinary nurse or any job where I'd get to assist in taking care of animals...science is by far my weakest point, so I don't intend to be a vet or anything but I still would love to work with animals, particularly birds and dogs.

Anyway, I figured to be able to have a chance at doing this I'd have to do at least biology as an HSC course. So I'm doing biology right now, and I got the misfortune of having a teacher that doesn't explain things in a way the common person can understand and hardly makes sense, if any to me. I thought it was just me not understanding, so I ask the other people in class if they understand what she's talking about and they're like "No". I've spoken with her about me not understanding, basically just asking as many questions as I can until she simplifies it to a point whre it makes sense to me, but it doesn't get me too far.

There are a lot of other subjects I'd rather be doing as opposed to biology and geography (which I'm also doing because it'll help me get into a career as a wildlife park ranger if vet nursing doesn't work out..but god it is bloody boring), such as modern history, religion, community and family studies, legal studies and aboriginal studies but at the moment I'm studying subjects that I actually don't find interesting (ie: geography, biology) because I do have a love for animals and I know these courses will help me get into a career with them.

I am not too sure what to do about my problem at the moment. Should I just continue doing biology and hope I find a way to understand it, or should I just drop the subject and actually do subjects I'm interested in even though they are irrelevant to the career path I desire? Geography, I can at least understand it even though I don't like it but I don't know how I can pass biology if I don't understand and if my teacher isn't very good (and is the only biology teacher in the school).

What are my options?

stefgi32

Meh
HSC
N/A
That's what I'm intending to do..................

Meh, perhaps this is what I get for posting at 1am.

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
Meh, perhaps this is what I get for posting at 1am.
Bump it tomorrow afternoon, you'll actually get productive answers then. At this time of night people are just spamming etc, most people (including me :p) are too tired to bother with a proper response lol.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
I say... start hoping you get a good teacher for HSC year.
Or get a tutor.
Or transfer TAFE.
Or self-teach.

blerkles

HSC
N/A
Get the cheat-sheet books/study guides that Excel produce. Look on ebay for used ones. Download the syllabus from BOS so you know what the HSC markers are after rather than relying on your teacher's interpretation of it. If all goes to hell, you can do a Biology degree (Bach of Science (Applied Sciences)) from RMIT via Open Uni's via distance with no entry requirements (yes, not even a HSC). Do a couple of subjects in that degree then seek a transfer to your preferred course. If you really want to be a park ranger... look at CSU's Parks, Recreation and Heritage degree... Bachelor of Applied Science (Parks, Recreation and Heritage) at Charles Sturt University

stefgi32

Meh
HSC
N/A
Thank you for your advice guys.

Out of curiosity..do you think you'd be able to get accepted to a vet nursing course if you just did senior science (as opposed to chem, bio, etc..)??

blerkles

HSC
N/A
You can always work your way up from a Cert II in Animal Studies (flexible from New England TAFE) which has no entry requirements other than a confirmation of ability to do work experience somewhere.

melodic_gal

HSC
I'm in prelim working towards my HSC in a TAFE environment at the moment. I want to become a veterinary nurse or any job where I'd get to assist in taking care of animals...science is by far my weakest point, so I don't intend to be a vet or anything but I still would love to work with animals, particularly birds and dogs.

Anyway, I figured to be able to have a chance at doing this I'd have to do at least biology as an HSC course. So I'm doing biology right now, and I got the misfortune of having a teacher that doesn't explain things in a way the common person can understand and hardly makes sense, if any to me. I thought it was just me not understanding, so I ask the other people in class if they understand what she's talking about and they're like "No". I've spoken with her about me not understanding, basically just asking as many questions as I can until she simplifies it to a point whre it makes sense to me, but it doesn't get me too far.

There are a lot of other subjects I'd rather be doing as opposed to biology and geography (which I'm also doing because it'll help me get into a career as a wildlife park ranger if vet nursing doesn't work out..but god it is bloody boring), such as modern history, religion, community and family studies, legal studies and aboriginal studies but at the moment I'm studying subjects that I actually don't find interesting (ie: geography, biology) because I do have a love for animals and I know these courses will help me get into a career with them.

I am not too sure what to do about my problem at the moment. Should I just continue doing biology and hope I find a way to understand it, or should I just drop the subject and actually do subjects I'm interested in even though they are irrelevant to the career path I desire? Geography, I can at least understand it even though I don't like it but I don't know how I can pass biology if I don't understand and if my teacher isn't very good (and is the only biology teacher in the school).

What are my options?
I would suggest to you to make appointment with the TAFE counsellor they are pretty good with your problem. I saw counsellor before and nearly to the end of my course to discuss my career and different pathways to achieving that goal with the courses offered in the field. I found that it was very helpful it help me get to my goal.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)