• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What to do in California? (1 Viewer)

she's_beck

HSC
I am planning to go to California and caaaant freaking wait. but i was wondering if anyone else has been there and has any advice on what not to miss when i am over there. :)

Also what i shouldnt do. For example: go to Compton wearing a particular colour so i am not mistaken to be a part of some gang. Not that i would go to Compton ANYWAY

law_stud

HSC
N/A
advice LA

Orright, I just got back from college in LA 3 months ago,

here's my tips:

1. If you're there in time for sales, you can get some freakin' awesome bargains, otherwise, expect stuff to be expensive but quality. There's heaps of things you can buy there [retail-wise] that you wouldn't see here in Australia. Suggest: American Eagle, etc

2. Disneyland: good to go for 'yeah... I um went there once in my life" but not really a big event. Think trailer-trash, cheesy rides, 999 statutues of Mickey mouse, etc. go once, but that's it.

3. Go to 12 flags [or is it 8 flags?] - just mention that you want to go on some awesome rollercoaster rides and a local will point you to this place. I think it's also called Magic Mountain? anyhow - this IS what you're looking for, it's disney-land for adults IMO

4. Californian beaches [and girls] are over-rated, our beaches are cleaner, have better bods, and aren't hyped [nor are they full of hobos - see point 5], nonetheless, go to Santa Monica Pier

5. America has no welfare system imo, expect to see hordes [yes, hordes] of hobos and bums EVERYWHERE. Yeah, and don't go to Compton. I'd feel perfectly safe walking around Redfern compared to some of these suburbs, and there is no reason to go to these shady suburbs.

6. LA is huge, it is spread out into valleys, You need a car to get around. Get your parents to rent a car [they are cheap to rent!] at the airport, otherwise it's the MTA for you baby.

7. Californian people are awesome! it's just like Australians [except we're more cooler] they are generally friendly ppl, they LOVE australians, they know NOTHING about Australia as it really is but yeah, Californians are fantastic people.

8. Go to San Diego, San Fran, even Vegas if you can make the trip, motels are cheap-ish, and highways are great.

9. Shops, yeah, Ripcurl, Billabong etc are the fad at the moment over there so expect heaps of these stores, i think the best I can do in terms or recommending shopping is to tell you to check out Santa Monica, 3RD STREET, it's a promenade of retail stores - go at about 5pm so you can watch the nightlife.

10. a lot of my advice depends on w/er you go with parents or if you go by yourself [like me]

11. Go "Downtown" and walk around there for a day

12. Drinking age is 21, they are totally strict over there about this. DO NOT get caught.

13. Try walking from Santa Monica beach down to say, Venice Beach or just along the beach path [rent a bike!],

14. Go watch some movies, they get released over there before they get released over here.

15. Cruise Sunset Boulevard with the top down during the evening, then go eat some Californian food - Mexican! [love it or hate it]

16. Food is expensive.

17. If by yourself and old/mature enough, go watch some concerts!

18. Go to The Beverly Centre shopping mall [as sung about by Usher] and check out Macy's and shops etc

19. Drive through the hills above UCLA where all the rich people live, Bel-Air... do this, tell your parents to do this, the houses are fucking amazing

20. Don't walk around by yourself at night in a shady area.

21. Hollywood is cheap, seedy, over-rated, and has NOTHING to do with movies, that being said, buy some cheap bling, there's some clubs here, check out Mann's Chinese Theatre as well.

22. Universal Studios. Go or forever regret it, DO EVERY SINGLE RIDE AT LEAST ONCE!

23. Quickly stop by at the Penthouse Store on Sunset for some naughty thrills and a great cappucino [only if with friends]

24. Make plans to come back here sometime in future!

25. LA is dirty and urban, and polluted. Expect this, Also, TRY not to give money to hobos no matter what amazing story they spin.

Have a great time!

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
take a ride thru the golden gate bridge, its beautiful. also go on one of the golden gate bridge tours, they take you there by walk and tell you all about it, its truly amazing.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
DO NOT BUY ripcurl, billabong etc - any aussie surf brand. It's cheaper in australia and better quality, the quality of aussie surf clothes are pretty shit in the states compared to us.

I'll second San Diego - that place is awesome! Public transport in LA is easy to figure out if you dont get a hire car.

William_Lawry

NSW Police
HSC
N/A
rnitya_25 said:
take a ride thru the golden gate bridge, its beautiful. also go on one of the golden gate bridge tours, they take you there by walk and tell you all about it, its truly amazing.
the golden gate brigde is in san fran you dickhead

olchik

HSC
My favourite place in CA was Disneyland. It's so much fun, even for adults. Also I liked LA in night time, it's gorgeous! And of course go to San Francisco. It's fun to drive there. The streets are like hills.

Have fun!

IceBreaker

HSC
is there alot of palm trees along the beaches?
do they have an open gym?
enjoy your stay in cali

Lundy

Banned
HSC
William_Lawry said:
the golden gate brigde is in san fran you dickhead
san fran is in California you dickhead

Californians are really friendly. But remember when you're eating out, tips are expected. I think the norm is about 10%

HSC
law_stud said:
Orright, I just got back from college in LA 3 months ago,

here's my tips:

1. If you're there in time for sales, you can get some freakin' awesome bargains, otherwise, expect stuff to be expensive but quality. There's heaps of things you can buy there [retail-wise] that you wouldn't see here in Australia. Suggest: American Eagle, etc

2. Disneyland: good to go for 'yeah... I um went there once in my life" but not really a big event. Think trailer-trash, cheesy rides, 999 statutues of Mickey mouse, etc. go once, but that's it.

3. Go to 12 flags [or is it 8 flags?] -
just mention that you want to go on some awesome rollercoaster rides and a local will point you to this place. I think it's also called Magic Mountain? anyhow - this IS what you're looking for, it's disney-land for adults IMO

4. Californian beaches [and girls] are over-rated, our beaches are cleaner, have better bods, and aren't hyped [nor are they full of hobos - see point 5], nonetheless, go to Santa Monica Pier

5. America has no welfare system imo, expect to see hordes [yes, hordes] of hobos and bums EVERYWHERE. Yeah, and don't go to Compton. I'd feel perfectly safe walking around Redfern compared to some of these suburbs, and there is no reason to go to these shady suburbs.

6. LA is huge, it is spread out into valleys, You need a car to get around. Get your parents to rent a car [they are cheap to rent!] at the airport, otherwise it's the MTA for you baby.

7. Californian people are awesome! it's just like Australians [except we're more cooler] they are generally friendly ppl, they LOVE australians, they know NOTHING about Australia as it really is but yeah, Californians are fantastic people.

8. Go to San Diego, San Fran, even Vegas if you can make the trip, motels are cheap-ish, and highways are great.

9. Shops, yeah, Ripcurl, Billabong etc are the fad at the moment over there so expect heaps of these stores, i think the best I can do in terms or recommending shopping is to tell you to check out Santa Monica, 3RD STREET, it's a promenade of retail stores - go at about 5pm so you can watch the nightlife.

10. a lot of my advice depends on w/er you go with parents or if you go by yourself [like me]

11. Go "Downtown" and walk around there for a day

12. Drinking age is 21, they are totally strict over there about this. DO NOT get caught.

13. Try walking from Santa Monica beach down to say, Venice Beach or just along the beach path [rent a bike!],

14. Go watch some movies, they get released over there before they get released over here.

15. Cruise Sunset Boulevard with the top down during the evening, then go eat some Californian food - Mexican! [love it or hate it]

16. Food is expensive.

17. If by yourself and old/mature enough, go watch some concerts!

18. Go to The Beverly Centre shopping mall [as sung about by Usher] and check out Macy's and shops etc

19. Drive through the hills above UCLA where all the rich people live, Bel-Air... do this, tell your parents to do this, the houses are fucking amazing

20. Don't walk around by yourself at night in a shady area.

21. Hollywood is cheap, seedy, over-rated, and has NOTHING to do with movies, that being said, buy some cheap bling, there's some clubs here, check out Mann's Chinese Theatre as well.

22. Universal Studios. Go or forever regret it, DO EVERY SINGLE RIDE AT LEAST ONCE!

23. Quickly stop by at the Penthouse Store on Sunset for some naughty thrills and a great cappucino [only if with friends]

24. Make plans to come back here sometime in future!

25. LA is dirty and urban, and polluted. Expect this, Also, TRY not to give money to hobos no matter what amazing story they spin.

Have a great time!

lol its 6 flags. and it is the sketchiest place in America.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
Most certainly hit San Fran...awesome. Try out the tram, but god almighty listen to the instructor!!!

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
I lived in California for a few years and have relatives there, I went to LA recently as well.

The biggest issue is transport, don't bother with public transport.

Visit:

San Francisco - Golden Gate Bridge

Hollywood/Universal Studios - Lots of rides and shows. Visit the set of Desparate Housewives :D The Mummy indoor rollercoaster (fastest in the world). This is probably the 'must go' of LA.

Santa Maria beach I think is a nice place, don't really remember it well (but theres a famous pier somewhere).

Las Vegas - Go around the hotels and look around. They have daily shows (free) outside some hotels. Lots to do.

Go outlet shopping. There are many outlets in the US and all good brands at very good prices. AMERICA IS CHEAP when it comes to food and clothing in outlets. Go to Cosco and see for yourself, those Jellybeans they sell in Aus for like $5 a small packet (the ones with 50 different flavours) is like $8 for more than a Kg.

Los Angeles consists of a large population of Mexicans/Latins and the Mexican food is top unlike Aus there are no places that offer it.

Visit Downtown.

Thats all I remember for now.

Last edited:

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
cro_angel said:
Thats excellent for me as well.. I'm going to LA for 8 days on December 1st.
What will the weather be like there?
cold...but not snowing or anything...lol

Lundy

Banned
HSC
cro_angel said:
Thats excellent for me as well.. I'm going to LA for 8 days on December 1st.
What will the weather be like there?
It won't be too unlike our winter, only a little colder.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
Sweet! Maybe I can avoid buying a big bulky jacket until the end of my trip there before I head to NY.
I'm a tad freaked out about travelling on American Airlines with one of those dudes that carries a gun..

0Jade0

HSC
Frisco... you must go.

You can avoid Downtown LA. Actually avoid it like the plague.

Vist all the theme parks including Knotts berry farm in LA.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
http://www.knotts.com/

Never been there but I did a search and it looks like fun. But Universal Studios is more enjoyable, the rides arent as good (but are still good; had some screen time on the Biggest Loser) but theres a lot to see.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
cro_angel said:
Has anyone heard of going to a show like Dr Phil while being over there?
You mean in LA?

You'll probably have to sign up for it early to get into those shows.

Oprah > Phil; at least you have a better chance of winning something or getting it for free. Although I dont think those shows are actually in LA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)