What to do when you receive your results (1 Viewer)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
As we all know the HSC results are due to be revealed soon.

Just a few things to help you understand what they really mean.

First and foremost, as a result of Lazarus' who I'm sure you all know, we have a program called SAM (Student Assessment Modeller), where you can input aligned HSC marks and it will show the UAI a student would of achieved if he/she sat in that year to close accuracy.

Here is the link to it.

Briefly, to get you started, when you get your HSC results and you are eager to know what type of UAI you may be looking for, please don't post threads asking for UAI predictions. SAM will provide the most accurate guess that anyone can make.

There are 2 versions of SAM available. Standard SAM and Advanced SAM. Advanced SAM provides more information and better insight into your marks and thus we recommend you use it over standard SAM. For those who are not premium members, you’d need to pay a small fee to access Advanced SAM that will also give you access to a large variety of other features and discounts. If you wish to join premium membership, click here..

Now, lets have a look at what to type into SAM. What we are mainly concerned about is the HSC Mark. The HSC mark is the average of the examination mark and the assessment mark. Reading the forums, a lot of people have asked whether they take into account ranks of the class. The answer is yes. The HSC mark is the final mark you receive for that subject. It takes into account all aligning and moderating procedures.

The HSC mark which I surrounded by red is the mark you input into SAM after adjusting it to the subjects you did. After which you simply just click 'submit' and let the program do all the work.

You'd then want to look at the result which corresponds to the latest UAI result. Most likely your 2006 UAI will be closest to the 2005 one. In my opinion, I would say you should deduct about 1.4 UAI points from the 2005 UAI number SAM provides. If everything remains stable, my guess is it would take a little higher marks every year to achieve the same UAI as the previous.
Reason for this I believe is the candidature is getting smarter or more knowledgeable of the syllabus each year; as a result, it would take higher marks to achieve the same UAI because the UAI is a ranking index which ranks students from each other.

Now for those who aren't too concerned about the UAI, but rather the HSC marks, and would like to know what they really mean.

First off, the examination mark is simple. It's simply the HSC exam mark from the exams you did from October - November. This mark however is not your raw mark. A process known as aligning as been done to those marks to ensure the marks every year will be able to be compared with each other.
Typically the majority of marks will be over 50.

You can see this flowchart to understand how the aligning/scaling process differs.
http://www.boredofstudies.org/other/flowchart.pdf

The assessment mark is the mark based on your class’s performance in the HSC exam. This mark is not the final school mark that you may have calculated yourself at school. This is the mark after your raw school marks have been moderated. These marks are moderated to ensure that every school is fair, and a more acedemic school will not have an advantage over less acedemic schools. i.e. a person attending a highly acedemic school can still attain a low UAI, and vice versa.
More information can be found in this thread.

The HSC mark is simply the final mark for your course. It is the average of your HSC examination mark and your assessment mark. It is the end result after all the technical aligning and moderating procedures have been done.

The performance band is the category that your mark falls under.

Band 1 is a mark between 0 - 49
Band 2 is a mark between 50 - 59
Band 3 is a mark between 60 - 69
Band 4 is a mark between 70 - 79
Band 5 is a mark between 80 - 89
Band 6 is a mark between 90 - 100

Band E1 - E4 is given out to 1 unit subjects with the exception of 3/4U maths in which a student undertaking 2 units of 4U and 3U maths are still 'banded' between E1 - E4. There is no real importance of these bands, except to tell you what you fall under.

So to end this, the main thing I'm trying to put out is to use SAM to help you get an idea of the type of UAI you will get, rather than posting UAI predictions on the forum as they can be very inaccurate sometimes as they are mostly based on subjective opinions by other students who may not have a good understanding of the marks. SAM will provide the most consistent and accurate UAI based on your marks. With that said good luck with your results and hope you have achieved your goals.

allysheila

HSC
AHHH ITS ALMOST TIME!!!

JUST A FEW MINUTES IN THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM

THE 1 N ONLY:
sHEILz

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
I got my results and used SAM. Though I'm guessing that my UAI will be lower than what that thinggy predicts because it's "out". I'm missing out on my target...

Damn The Computer is slooooooww.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
spadijer said:
50/50 for Extension 2 English
49/50 for Extension History
Band 6 for Modern Histroy and Advanced English
Band 4 (Extension) English, but proletarian school coupled with idiotic teacher took my mark down. Shall be complaining about that one.
My biology school mark was scaled down to the point of "fuck" - School mark was 95 - reduced to a 87 - go figure.
oh wow your bio school mark went down too? lol my assessment mark was 91 but i ended up with 85 for it, no idea how. it happened with drama too, my lovely 94 got put down to 90 for some reason.

anyway SAM tells me 93.80...being conservative to be safe i guess that means realistically i'm looking at about 92 or 91, which is still heaps more than i actually need, so i'm quite stoked.

taouk69

HSC
look its not about a uai its about were u put yourself after it...

taouk69

HSC
look its not about a uai its about were you put yourself after it... you have completed the first stage of your life

mimikoko

HSC
:rofl: the only thing i care about is that is this sam thing accurate???????how many percentage?????????

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
mimikoko said:
:rofl: the only thing i care about is that is this sam thing accurate???????how many percentage?????????
I'd say that for UAI above 90, it usually have error range of about 0.2 to 0.5, while for lower UAI often it's off by 1 or 2 UAI points.

Jait

HSC
N/A
Your school mark is merely a rank. A teacher can give his 3 students 95, 90 and 85 as "school marks" and if they then go and get 67, 65 and 60 in the exam then the "school marks" will be adjusted (to 60-67) to reflect their real performance.

If your school mark was dropped down then it means your class did not perform as well as expected. As a rough rule the top ranked student will get the highest exam mark as his "school mark" and everyone else will be spread out below that.

Scaling occurs with your UAI not for your HSC "school mark".

Last edited:

kevinant

HSC
luckily the top student in my class had his exam mark equal to assesment mark, therefore my high assesment mark is not moderated down.
Well when I was about to to receive my result i felt so bad because i'm afraid that i couldn't get a band 6..but when i got my result it surprised me.. i went well above 90 which was good
next yr i hope i can get all other band6s (except english, which i'm not good at) and hopefully i can get the all-round prize thing.

S

samcg

that SAM thing was way off... it said 78.90 for my results when i actually got 81.05.. i prefer my real mark.. i was aiming for over 80 and i got into my course at wollongong uni for civil engineering so thats good.. i think i could have done a lot better, i didnt really try that hard.. but i still did pretty well!! i hope all of you did as you hoped!

js0ul

HSC
sydneyphoenix said:
I'd say that for UAI above 90, it usually have error range of about 0.2 to 0.5, while for lower UAI often it's off by 1 or 2 UAI points.
For me, SAM predicted 92.25 but I actually got 94.5 so it was 2.25 off. I was so happy lol.

Jamo-S

HSC
SAM predicted my UAI as 89.55 but being an idiot that i am i put in my trial examination marks. But it didn't matter, my UAI turned out to be 96.5 :D More than i expected.

HSC
Everything you do in year 12 matters, you must not forget that if you want to do well.. In answer to your question yes it matters more than the rest of your school assessments, but it doesnt mean you should try any less beforehand, or you will screw up trials. trials arent a huge bearing in terms of weighting. In terms of preparation for the hsc, trials are very important.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)