What to do?!?!? (1 Viewer)

Meshy590

HSC
So in our chem trial, there was a question on Industrial chem which asked for an environmental issue of the Frasch Process. I wrote "sulfur can oxidise or reduce at the surface producing SO2 or H2S. Now the teachers are saying that they are not accepting this answer. I have shown them several textbooks as well as the Board of Studies sample answers, but they are still not accepting it. I have one more thing that I hope will work: the powepoint presentation showed to us by the teachers, stating that this is one of the environmental issues. Because if the teachers show that to us, we can assume that it is right??? Am I right?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
From what you're giving us, you have legitimate grounds, since it's your Trials.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Although, assuming your information is correct, it would be fair to give you marks for it. With that said, the assessment schedule is purely based on the school (even beyond the scope of the Board of Studies) and if they choose to not allocate marks for that answer, you will not receive marks.

A similar situation occurred for me where I said "Technetium-99m has a short biological half-life of 1 day" was given a cross and I assume, was -1 mark.

deswa1

HSC
Although, assuming your information is correct, it would be fair to give you marks for it. With that said, the assessment schedule is purely based on the school (even beyond the scope of the Board of Studies) and if they choose to not allocate marks for that answer, you will not receive marks.

A similar situation occurred for me where I said "Technetium-99m has a short biological half-life of 1 day" was given a cross and I assume, was -1 mark.
But from memory, the half life of Tc 99m is 6 hours not one day so technically it is wrong and you should get docked. OP on the other hand is perfectly correct (assuming you then went on to say why SO2 or H2S is bad for the environment- even something like pollution would do)

jamesischool

Forum Lurker
HSC
Uni Grad
you just have to forget about it... teachers can be complete assholes. take for example my biology trial:
we were told to give the possible genotypes of children with parents with genotype Tt and TT - answers were 50% TT and 50% Tt
then we're supposed to give our PREDICTION for 3 children with those parents... i was wrong because i predicted that 1 would have Tt and 2 would have TT. Apparently the only proper prediction was to put a '?' as you couldnt give an accurate prediction...
i spent 20 minutes arguing this with 3 teachers but didnt get the mark. in the scheme of things if you're only losing 1 mark yea it's shit but it really won't make that much of a difference

v1

HSC
So in our chem trial, there was a question on Industrial chem which asked for an environmental issue of the Frasch Process. I wrote "sulfur can oxidise or reduce at the surface producing SO2 or H2S. Now the teachers are saying that they are not accepting this answer. I have shown them several textbooks as well as the Board of Studies sample answers, but they are still not accepting it. I have one more thing that I hope will work: the powepoint presentation showed to us by the teachers, stating that this is one of the environmental issues. Because if the teachers show that to us, we can assume that it is right??? Am I right?
I think u needed to state that they are atmospheric pollutants, not just that it oxidises or reduces at the surface to produce it.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
But from memory, the half life of Tc 99m is 6 hours not one day so technically it is wrong and you should get docked. OP on the other hand is perfectly correct (assuming you then went on to say why SO2 or H2S is bad for the environment- even something like pollution would do)
It said "biological half life" of 1 day. I also mentioned a half life of 6 hours and hence, is quickly removed from the body and shorter time of exposure.

Meshy590

HSC
I think u needed to state that they are atmospheric pollutants, not just that it oxidises or reduces at the surface to produce it.
yes I did go on to further explain it, I just haven't written up my answer here.

Bobbo1

HSC
yes I did go on to further explain it, I just haven't written up my answer here.
Take it up with head teacher and really try attempt to get those final assessment marks before the HSC...

Meshy590

HSC
Take it up with head teacher and really try attempt to get those final assessment marks before the HSC...
LOL the head teacher herself is being so arrogant, and she is not accepting it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)