What to expect on the 1st day of Uni... (1 Viewer)

Salehhh

HSC
It will be interesting... What happens exactly on the first day on university?

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
It will be interesting... What happens exactly on the first day on university?
nothing, you will have an awkward lecture where they expect you to introduce yourself to the person next to you; they will tell you what you need; finish that in 15 mins...

you will go to your tute, have to intro yourself in front of the whole class and talk about how interesting you are... then you will go home :)

Kittikhun

HSC
Yeah, those first lectures and tutorials where you introduce each other are cringe-worthy.

Also, expect to be a bit lost and crowding over the map stands at uni with other first-years if you haven't done a reconnaissance of your rooms already during O-week.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
To help with navigation... your student diaries (which are free at most universities); have maps of the campus...

It's not as daunting as it seems... you are all in the same boat...

Nessie96

HSC
Hi guys :) is anyone here taking on board a degree from the business and economics faculty?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

madharris

HSC
N/A
Expect a few icebreakers in your tutes!
e.g. 2 facts, 1 lie :mad2:

expect at least 2 different subjects to go over your uni's online system (I think it's myuts for uts)

Remember to have a copy of your timetable available to you

Be on the lookout for friends. If someone looks by themself, then no matter how awkward it is, go up to them and introduce yourself (they will appreciate it as much as you will)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Weird, never had icebreakers when I started.

Things have changed...

enoilgam

HSC
Weird, never had icebreakers when I started.

Things have changed...
We had them a fair bit. I remember in 3rd year, I took a 100 level subject and we did the whole icebreaker routine - man were some of them scared shitless when they saw the assignment load.

Salehhh

HSC
What do you guys mean by "icebreakers"? As in lecturer/teacher over exaggerating?

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
I only have three or four people I would actually address as "friends" at uni (who I actually keep in touch with and go out with)

other than that it's pretty much just hi and bye, hows your day been, want to go for a smoke, can I borrow your lighter, how did you go on that assignment/exam; fuck you, you did better than me, etc... that's about it...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Expect a few icebreakers in your tutes!
e.g. 2 facts, 1 lie :mad2:

expect at least 2 different subjects to go over your uni's online system (I think it's myuts for uts)

Remember to have a copy of your timetable available to you

Be on the lookout for friends. If someone looks by themself, then no matter how awkward it is, go up to them and introduce yourself (they will appreciate it as much as you will)
Unless you're that mean blonde girl who I decided would make a nice lecture buddy - based on principles of physiognomy, no less - but she decided her laptop was more interesting than me :(

Though there was this one funny time I got on the train, took a seat next to this girl in a very distinctive blue dress.

nek minnit at unsw

I walk in the lecture, see her and march up with the line: "Hey, didn't I see you on the train?"

BAM! lecture buddy for the next six weeks until she dropped out

enoilgam

HSC
I only have three or four people I would actually address as "friends" at uni (who I actually keep in touch with and go out with)

other than that it's pretty much just hi and bye, hows your day been, want to go for a smoke, can I borrow your lighter, how did you go on that assignment/exam; fuck you, you did better than me, etc... that's about it...
This pretty much - there were only two or three people I would actually consider "friends" on any level at uni. The rest were just acquaintances or people you go to class with.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Unless you're that mean blonde girl who I decided would make a nice lecture buddy - based on principles of physiognomy, no less - but she decided her laptop was more interesting than me :(
hate plebs like this, should have just apologised for not looking like Brad Pitt...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
hate plebs like this, should have just apologised for not looking like Brad Pitt...
The story has a happy ending.

I walked into the lecture, saw an acquaintance (lecture buddy) I had in microeconomics - recognised her, and was like, "what the heck are you doing here?!" Turns out she was taking English as an elective.

She became my lecture and tute buddy for that subject, and now she's one of my closest female friends.

So, some random encounters might end up fruitful. Moral of the story though: meet people!

You win some, you lose some.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
The story has a happy ending.

I walked into the lecture, saw an acquaintance (lecture buddy) I had in microeconomics - recognised her, and was like, "what the heck are you doing here?!" Turns out she was taking English as an elective.

She became my lecture and tute buddy for that subject, and now she's one of my closest female friends.

So, some random encounters might end up fruitful. Moral of the story though: meet people!

You win some, you lose some.

???

:)

studybuddy101

HSC
is there anyone who actually enjoys these stupid icebreakers? i just want to learn, friends can be made outside of the classroom.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
http://tanasinn.info/images/2/2f/Yaranaika_finger.gif[/IMG

???

:)[/QUOTE]

i friend zoned her

not my type

Interesting person though, just not my type in a ~romantic~ setting.

[quote="studybuddy101, post: 6553640"]is there anyone who actually enjoys these stupid icebreakers? i just want to learn, friends can be made outside of the classroom.[/QUOTE]

Nope.

I don't like them because when I have to intro myself, it sounds really wankery and bad. It's usually like name, degree, majors and an interesting fact - and since these things are only for my English classes, I get up to "...and I study Arts and Advanced Mathematics, and I'm majoring in English and Pure Mathematics" and everyone in the room just goes and thinks 'wtf, why are you in my english class if you do maths'.

I got a "wow" from a tutor and "Maths? What are you doing here?" from a girl in my tute <_<

studybuddy101

HSC
Nope.

I don't like them because when I have to intro myself, it sounds really wankery and bad. It's usually like name, degree, majors and an interesting fact - and since these things are only for my English classes, I get up to "...and I study Arts and Advanced Mathematics, and I'm majoring in English and Pure Mathematics" and everyone in the room just goes and thinks 'wtf, why are you in my english class if you do maths'.

I got a "wow" from a tutor and "Maths? What are you doing here?" from a girl in my tute <_<
if it happens that often then you need to start setting up some good one-liners to drop on everyone when they say it. Rebel level 11/10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)