What to learn in the Holidays (1 Viewer)

calamebe

HSC
Hello, I'm just about to finish up prelim 3U, and am excited and scared for 4U next term! I am wondering a few things, would it be good to learn 3U/4U in the term 3-term 4 break, what topics come up in the first tests, and I have the Cambridge 3U, 4U and MiF 3U (school assigned) textbooks, do I need anything else? I mainly want to do this so I can start past papers as soon as possible. Anything would be appreciated, thanks!

leehuan

HSC
If you can handle it then learn whatever you can.

I would, however, try to get 2U covered in the holiday break. It becomes assumed knowledge for you.

Typically, the first 4U topic is complex numbers or graphs. Complex numbers it always helps to know how to use radians so you can adjust easily when it comes to mod-arg form. Graphs, well a knowledge of how to sketch simple curves is necessary too.

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
If you can handle it then learn whatever you can.

I would, however, try to get 2U covered in the holiday break. It becomes assumed knowledge for you.

Typically, the first 4U topic is complex numbers or graphs. Complex numbers it always helps to know how to use radians so you can adjust easily when it comes to mod-arg form. Graphs, well a knowledge of how to sketch simple curves is necessary too.
+1

Do 2U (and maybe some 3U) in this upcoming break. Then, in the 6 week summer holidays, learn as much of the 4U course as you can. That's what I did: I learnt Conics, Graphs, Integration and Volumes well before the 2015 school year started. Then, over the next term or so I taught myself Mechanics. I advise you do something similar; it's a lot of work, but at the end of the day, it's work which will very much count towards your ATAR: if you can get most of 4U learnt by the start of term 1, you will have HEAPS more time to spend perfecting your maths technique and also focusing on other subjects.

addybrah

HSC
Pretty much what everyone else said. Ask your teacher what topics you will be doing next term for 3 and 4u (usually complex). Get those covered, make sure you understand them. The 4u Cambridge textbook is a good place to start for questions and theory.

Study during your summer holidays, get all of 3u and half of 4u covered.

braintic

HSC
N/A
Pretty much what everyone else said. Ask your teacher what topics you will be doing next term for 3 and 4u (usually complex). Get those covered, make sure you understand them. The 4u Cambridge textbook is a good place to start for questions and theory.

Study during your summer holidays, get all of 3u and half of 4u covered.
The Ext 2 Cambridge is great for revision. But it is terrible for instruction.

calamebe

HSC
Would you reccomend anything else for instruction?

SammyT123

HSC
Internet and. The book by s.k Patel (newer edition)
The book can be criticised as it is only very basic, but it helps you grasp all the fundamentals , meaning when you start 4u you will be ready for those harder qs

leehuan

HSC
I use S. K. Patel's original textbook (not excel) for 4U in conjunction with Cambridge. Most of the content was taught to me out of Patel, but Cambridge was superior in some regards.

Terry Lee's textbook has been classified as good as well, except I hear the questions are significantly harder. It's a textbook aimed for selective schools I think?

Patel's instruction is just a painful read because of the font. It's nonetheless good.

Also, because I use a limited number of textbooks, when it comes to the volumes topic I haven't seen any textbook actually do the 'integration by first principles' process. Just saying.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Also, because I use a limited number of textbooks, when it comes to the volumes topic I haven't seen any textbook actually do the 'integration by first principles' process. Just saying.
Is unnecessary (if you mean writing it as a limiting sum etc.).

HSC
Just wondering, this teacher keeps telling me that you should absolutely get 100% in mechanics because it is a "bs topic" as he so eloquently puts it. Do you guys find this topic easy? Because I'm have so much troubles, and its actually making me feel terrible at myself. Is there any advice you could give me about doing better in Mechanics, since you guys seem to have finished it already

braintic

HSC
N/A
Just wondering, this teacher keeps telling me that you should absolutely get 100% in mechanics because it is a "bs topic" as he so eloquently puts it. Do you guys find this topic easy? Because I'm have so much troubles, and its actually making me feel terrible at myself. Is there any advice you could give me about doing better in Mechanics, since you guys seem to have finished it already
It is like many topics - it is easy once it clicks. For many people it never clicks.
In that respect it is kind of like Counting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)