what TYPE of school do u go to? (1 Viewer)

what TYPE of school do you go to??

• Total voters

gigi31

im a yobbo
HSC
Re: Public School vs. Private

hmm well i go to one of the very top selective schools which is public
in year 6 when we i was choosing it was this school (which wasn't as good then) and one of the big prestigious private schools
i chose selective

to me, if i had kids in sydney, i would only ever send them to a private school or one of the good selective schools (cos there are some dodgy ones)

-pari-

HSC
N/A

i've been to both (currently in private)

and i agree...there tend to be a greater proportion of good teachers than bad teachers in private, whereas in public there are some awesome teachers, but the proportion of not so great teachers is also higher...

other than that everything but the $ and facilities bit are quite equal

oh and also u tend to have a lot more competition in private schools as majority of the students aim to do quite well. in public schools u'll always have that bunch of kids who arent' too fussed about academics....not to say that bunch in non existant in private schools, but again the proportion is less.

for this reason....
I think a study was done and they found that private schools tended to do better but that public school students caught up and in some cases did better when they reached uni.
....private schools might show they have a greater number of students with better uai's but in terms of the individual, it's really up to him/her. there are of course countless numbers of people who don't go to private, nor do they attend coaching of any sort, who come out with UAIs of >95.

Last edited:

limbo-gal

HSC

A study has been done that shows that people who went to public schools develop better social and coping skills than people who went to private schools. This is because at a public school you are exposed to a much more diverse socio-economic background than that of a private school. Private schools spoon-feed their students and then when they get to University they can't cope.

limbo-gal

HSC

oblivious. said:
Private schools have better/more facilities, more opportunities for students and the teachers have more personal interest in how the students are progressing both educationally and in there personal lives.
Private schools also get longer holidays aswell as having more camps and excursions.
:)
... Private schools have the same hours overall as public schools. Private schools just have longer days. The extra half hour or whatever that private schools have is equivalent to the extra week of school that public schools have.

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC

Lol... these threads are heaps political.. i dont think any1 realli cares... 06'ers dont care cuz we've finishd year 12... and are on completing our HSC :DDD
WOOOHHOOoOooO...

i dont care... lolz but good on ya's if u go to private schools and good ya's if u go to public schools.. why dunt add a third option or maybe a fourth... i.e. Tafe or Home schooling.. lolz

:DDDD

z600

Sigh.....
HSC

dion7789 said:
Public school are definately better...we dont have the snobby students or teachers for that matter and the teachers we do have actually give a damn about the students unlike private schools where they are interested in their pay packets.

I think u get a much better education at public schools because the teachers do care and set up extra lessons and do a lot of extra work when they really dont need to. Public schools all the way
You say this on the grounds of what?? Dont compare a selective school with some obscure private school. So far, priavte schools has out done public schools in my personal experience. However, there are some public school experiences that you will never learn in a private school.

And in regards to your comments about paychecks. Out of the good private schools, there are always a few teachers that has a pHD degree, if they are so interested on how many figures is on their paycheck, i am sure they would of gone and get a better job.

turtleface

HSC

z600 said:
And in regards to your comments about paychecks. Out of the good private schools, there are always a few teachers that has a pHD degree, if they are so interested on how many figures is on their paycheck, i am sure they would of gone and get a better job.
how does having a PhD make a difference? A PhD is a research degree usually for academics/teachers and scientists. A PhD candidate only really learns what they research themselves. Usually none of this is relevant at all to school students so I can't imagine how a PhD would make a teacher better or worse...just older....

Additionally because lecturers are not paid that well, I'd imagine that the average salary of people with PhDs is LOWER than those without PhDs especially in high paying professions like medicine, business, engineering etc.

PhD does not equal higher salary. If anything, it equals lower salary.

Last edited:

libertine

in the middle class ghetto: North Shore, Bitch
HSC

if i had a child, id never send them to a normal comprehensive school. the people there are mostly intellectually retarded. of course there are a few diamonds, but the overwhelming majority are dumbfucks. dont try and refute me. its true. i blame the government.more funding for education you capitalist cocks.

selective schools are better i suppose in terms of intellectual stimulation, but id worry for the social well being of my child stuck in a 24-7 memorising centre. so one with a good mix with extra-curricular activities. theres only three really. Sydney Boys, Sydney Girls and North Sydney Girls. North Sydney Boys at a stretch.

Private schools. the centres of "values" and "morality". LOL. some are good some are wastes of space. especially those pathetic no-name, st donovan the fourth types, which achieve nothing academically and spend most of their time spreading rhetoric about the need for man to believe in the "lord" . anyway, some good ones are: grammar, shore, pymble ladies, abbotsleigh and moriah.

holy fuck im bored. procrastinating is totes awesome!!!!!!!

edit: im being harsh on comprehensive high schools. but my views are reflective of the conversations i ve had with people from said schools. blowing up skateparks!! baddass

Last edited:

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A

and SCEGGS!

z600

Sigh.....
HSC

turtleface said:
how does having a PhD make a difference? A PhD is a research degree usually for academics/teachers and scientists. A PhD candidate only really learns what they research themselves. Usually none of this is relevant at all to school students so I can't imagine how a PhD would make a teacher better or worse...just older....

Additionally because lecturers are not paid that well, I'd imagine that the average salary of people with PhDs is LOWER than those without PhDs especially in high paying professions like medicine, business, engineering etc.

I am not saying having a phD degree mean the teacher is the best or any better than the ones without. I am saying if you did a phD in a certain field, you mostly likely to follow in subject you did for your phD degree, rather than teach at a school.

turtleface

HSC

sorry

also, a lot of PhD secondary teachers have done their PhD in education (i.e. secondary education) so I guess they are doing the area of what they researched in lol

HSC

i think it depends on the teachers. No matter which school u go to, if a teacher doesn't inspire u to work and doesn't care then ur not gonna go well. i go to a public school and whilst we might not have the same funding as private schools; my school has some amazing teachers.
Our history faculty is at an excellent quality and our school goes well in the SC and the HSC in history. My school offers VET entertainment and hospitality, TAFE courses and has a huge performing arts facility.
it also depends on the amount of work u put in, if ur dead lazy and do nothing u wont go well, even if u go to a private school

z600

Sigh.....
HSC

My school (curretly comprehensive high school) gets all the reject teachers. One of them is like some pedophile and was fired from a girls school. Not saying all of them is bad, a few of them are great teacher and know what they are doing.

LaurenHarvey

HSC

dion7789 said:
Public school are definately better...we dont have the snobby students or teachers for that matter and the teachers we do have actually give a damn about the students unlike private schools where they are interested in their pay packets.

I think u get a much better education at public schools because the teachers do care and set up extra lessons and do a lot of extra work when they really dont need to. Public schools all the way
I think that's a really narrow minded way of looking at private schools. Not all private school kids fit that stereotype of being snobby, and the teachers are extreemly devoted. Sorry but that's a really stereotypical way of looking at private schools...

LaurenHarvey

HSC

turtleface said:

What evidence do you have to prove this?

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A

makedamnsure101 said:
i think it depends on the teachers. No matter which school u go to, if a teacher doesn't inspire u to work and doesn't care then ur not gonna go well. i go to a public school and whilst we might not have the same funding as private schools; my school has some amazing teachers.
Our history faculty is at an excellent quality and our school goes well in the SC and the HSC in history. My school offers VET entertainment and hospitality, TAFE courses and has a huge performing arts facility.
it also depends on the amount of work u put in, if ur dead lazy and do nothing u wont go well, even if u go to a private school
Quoted for Truth.
This is about as objective as you will get.

Close Thread.

HSC

I'd say that facilities would be better but other then that it'd be about the same...Sometimes at my school we can't do the experiments ourselves because we don't have the materials so we watch it as a class while our teacher does it..I mean you learn it just as well as a private school would have learnt the experiment...its just a matter of absorbing things and studying hard. :)
And i think peeps at private school get in more shit socially and in school just because are put in stricter circumstances.

But all round i reckon going to a private school won't make you set for the hsc :p

That is just my opinion, definately not set as fact so yeah.

bekt

HSC

Quote: Public school are definately better...we dont have the snobby students or teachers for that matter and the teachers we do have actually give a damn about the students unlike private schools where they are interested in their pay packets.

Excuse me, i go to a private school in which we have receive one of the best educations possible. The teachers care immensely how we achieve and are not only interested in what they get paid. The teachers at my school genuinely care and put in so much extra effort.

Furthermore, how can you justify that you get a better education when for several years now 10% of the year group has got over 99 and more than 50% over 90 (and we are totally non selective) I'm not trying to flaunt it, but we have such fantastic resources and committed teachers that we are able to achieve such results. I'm not saying that public schools are bad, i think they can be great. But can you please stop dissing private schools and give us some credit.

riichard

HSC

Public Selective > Private > Public Comprehensive

I hate maths.
That is all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)