What UAI do I need to get into Medicine? (1 Viewer)

joe_rulez37

HSC
What UAI do I need to get into medicine at University of Sydney or University of NSW? I know that there's also a UMAT test and Interview Involved...

Hypothetically, if I get above average in the umat test (say top 10% of the state), approximately what UAI would I need? Many thanks

Mongke

HSC
my mom worked on the admin in UNSW the first year it was introduced. the lowest UAI was 96.75. good luck! the interview kills the most tho, so tell the truth!

i never said that

Antler

Custom User Title
HSC
USyd to get in provisionaly you need a 99.95. The average UAI at UNSW I think was quoted as 99.70.
There are other options of course. UNCLE doesn't care about your UAI as long as you get 93.80 and UAdelaide doesn't care about it as long as you get 90.00. You must sit the UMAT for all med schools except JCU. These UAI figures drop a bit (significantly for UNSW) if you are rural.

Yogeesan

FOR UNSW
MBBS
Academic Merit

Applicants applying on the basis of Year 12 results

Applicants applying on the basis of the NSW Higher School Certificate (HSC) will be required to attain a Universities Admissions Index (UAI) of at least 95.00 to be eligible for consideration for UNSW Medicine. Applicants applying on the basis of interstate or overseas school qualifications will be required to attain a score equivalent to an academic rank of at least 95.00.

The minimum achievement to be eligible for consideration to UNSW Medicine for applicants applying on the basis of their high school results is listed in the following table. However, as previously stated, achieving the minimum academic score is unlikely to be sufficient to be selected for an interview.

New South Wales UAI of 95.00

FOR USYD:
Combined Science-Medicine

Information for Local Students

2005 UAI Cut-off 99.95*
UAC Course code 512097

Last edited by a moderator:

pravski

HSC
joe_rulez37 said:
What UAI do I need to get into medicine at University of Sydney or University of NSW? I know that there's also a UMAT test and Interview Involved...

Hypothetically, if I get above average in the umat test (say top 10% of the state), approximately what UAI would I need? Many thanks
There's a table on the UNSW site somewhere...i cbf finding it sorry. But I know this, people got rejected with 99.00 UAI. But look, the interview is the most important because its the most subjective. People can get 99+ UAI and top 5% UMAT and miss out.

Hurri

HSC
pravski said:
People can get 99+ UAI and top 5% UMAT and miss out.
They'd get into Melb U with those scores. If they miss out on med, it'll be because they didn't apply, nothing to do with their scores.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
This is probably the UNSW table that was mentioned. I'm quoting from a post I made last year so note that the table may change slightly this year.

KFunk said:
Hey guys, I posted this in the MX2 forum earlier but I figured that it'd be a helpful thing to have here. This table lists "the minimum predicted UAI and actual UMAT scores that applicants needed to achieve to be offered an interview in the main round of interviews (September) over the past two years" for UNSW medicine.

Actual UMAT....|......Predicted UAI required for offer of main round interview
....152.............|.........................................100.0
....169.............|......................................... 99.5
....176.............|......................................... 99.0
....192.............|......................................... 98.0
....210.............|......................................... 97.0
....225.............|......................................... 96.0
....237.............|......................................... 95.0

http://notes.med.unsw.edu.au/home/medweb.nsf/website/2.2.latestnews_local

Also, UNSW later released a table of UMAT/UAI scores required for second round interviews:

Actual UMAT....|......Predicted UAI required for offer of main round interview
....152.............|.........................................100.0
....170.............|......................................... 99.5
....176.............|......................................... 99.0
....185.............|......................................... 98.0
....188.............|......................................... 97.0
....205.............|......................................... 96.0
....215.............|......................................... 95.0

Where the last two UMAT scores are rough estimates. (Taken from: http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/page/Latest_News )

Last edited:

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Hurri said:
They'd get into Melb U with those scores. If they miss out on med, it'll be because they didn't apply, nothing to do with their scores.
They'd need 99.65 still.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Perhaps 06's may want to draw comfort from my very rough analysis of how hard it is to get into med school.
Newcastle & Adelaide- after excluding people who'd reject their offer, you'd have a 1 in 3 chance roughly. A reasonable UAI and UMAT will do for these two.
UNSW- Something like 150 interstate applicants and only 10 of them accepted a place in 04. So it's 130 non-rural places and 350 people- roughly 1 in 3. Again, a reasonable UAI and UMAT.
UWA and UNSW are similar in terms of admissions. Let's assume that they're the same in difficulty.
You can see from the above that if you're Mister Random at interviews, you already have an 80.25% chance of getting in med by trying those universities...

Then consider:
High UAI? Melbourne guaranteed.
Decent UMAT? UQ guaranteed.

The odds are pretty.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
joe_rulez37 said:

i heard getting double digits in your UAI improves your chances.

joe_rulez37

HSC
You'd need at least a UAI of 95... but I'm guessing that a score that low would not stand much of a chance.

What I'm asking is, for those of you already doing medicine.. what UAI and Umat scores did you get?

I heard average UAI you'd need is like.. 99.5 to get into University of Sydney, UNSouth Wales? Is that right?

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
if ur talking about the provisional offers (around 10) USYD give out for med, then the cut-off is 99.95 to get an interview....if ur talking about the graduate entry med at USYD then i dont think UAIs matter...they only take into account ur uni marks, interview and GAMSAT..
the average for UNSW is 99.7 but there's a lot of people with UAIs less than that, but generally it's above 99..i guess they did well in UMAT and the interview, which btw is graded A to E i think..and usually no one with less than B gets in..

Last edited:

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
Bob.J said:
i heard getting double digits in your UAI improves your chances.
lol nah, not really... i got 99.7 and i didnt get in

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
funnybunny said:
the average for UNSW is 99.7 but there's a lot of people with UAIs less than that, but generally it's above 99..i guess they did well in UMAT and the interview, which btw is graded A to E i think..and usually no one with less than B gets in..
I think for UNSW's 2005 intake the average/mean UAI was 99.30 while the median UAI was 99.70. From what I've heard about the marks/scores/performance of other people making it into UNSW med you can generally make up for average marks in one component by doing particularly well in another. Being realistic though you want to do reasonably well across the board.

Correct me if anyone thinks differently but in order to have a good chance of getting in (speaking UNSW specific here) you'd be wanting to get a UAI of 99+, a scaled UMAT aggregate of 183+ and perform well in the interview. Don't underestimate the weighting of the interview, this year I've heard that it knocked out many people with marks like UAI:99.8 and UMAT:184.

bingman

HSC
KFunk said:
IDon't underestimate the weighting of the interview, this year I've heard that it knocked out many people with marks like UAI:99.8 and UMAT:184.
True that. I got a UAI of 99.8 and scaled UMAT score of 182 and only just managed to scrape into UNSW.
According to Gordan Rees at UNSW, 182 is about average, and 99.8 is just above average, and my interview is just below average.
Have you considered taking any UMAT Prep courses?

Estel

Tutor
HSC
How did you know your interview is just below average? I'd be interested in finding out how I went.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)