What uai do i need to get into psychology (2 Viewers)

kev

are their any compulsory subjects i need to do at school to get in to psychology?
and what UAI do i need to get into the course

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
B Psychology @ UNSW

Assumed Knowledge
2u mathematics.

Recommended Studies
Any two units of science.

Past Cut-offs
2003 - 95.15
2002 - 94.75
2001 - 93.00
2000 - 95.00
1999 - 95.25

Soul

New Title...
I recall... but check it

Not sure about other unis,

At unsw can do psychology as an arts major (but you'll need to keep a high average to transfer at end to science degree to get professional recognition)

Or you can possible do it through science hmm

Advice is to check with uni

piccaninny

invisible
HSC
my friend wants to do psychology at unws, uai is not a problem, but she does general maths, can she still do phychology at unws?

Last edited:

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
yes i dont think mathematics is involved in psych as Psych 1A and Psych 1B are the mandatory courses in first yr. as long as she doesnt pick any mathematics courses she'll be fine.

pri

HSC
N/A
I thought stats was taught in the first year psych as compulsory, I mean thats why they advise 2 u maths

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Ideally, she should take a bridging course for 2u maths - but the statistics covered in general maths actually overlaps part of the statistical analysis done in psychology (so she won't be completely lost).

But if possible, she should...

staree

HSC
N/A
I am in 2nd yr majoring in Pschology...... you can major in Psych with an arts degree, science degree, but if you want to be a full on psychologist, it's best to do a B. Psychology...... only catch is that if you make it in, you have to keep up a Credit Average.

As for stats, first year it's pretty simple...... if you don't understand anything, your tutor should be able to help you. In 2nd Year, it get a bit more confusing, but then I somehow managed to scrape through, which for me, if i can do it, anybody can.... you'd be best to do revision rather than my technique of cramming and stress......

third year is even harder stats, so i've been told...... but you can branch out into the different areas of psychology.

For more information you can look at the UNSW website and look through the Handbook....

Good Luck to you mate :D

FLR-IT

if u can major in psych in so many subjects what is the point of trying to get in to B.Psych that is like 95 when u can go Sci or Arts which are much lower like 80's??

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
so what types of jobs could u get with psychology. it's really interesting, i just dont know what i could really do with it, besides being a counsellor

pri

HSC
N/A
not thaaat gr8, I think starting for clinical psych is 45000 ish

Patricio

UNSW Member
umm..the advantage of B.Psych is that you are automatically guaranteed honors (which is the starting point if you actually want to be a psychologist).

Maintaining a credit average isn't a disadvantage! For other people wanting to transfer into the B.Psych/Psych Hons, they need a minimum of a distinction (often its a minimum of a high distinction). Cos there's only like 50 or so honors places and there is around 45 B.Psych students so the rest of the Arts and Science students have to compete for the remaining places in honors.

Organisational Psychologists are on average at $100,000 a year within 3 years of graduating I read. I'd imagine Forensic Psychology is even higher, I remember someone saying something about $70,000.

that $45,000 is a STARTING salary, last time i looked law and med were around $40,000 (for starting)...
ppl don't stay on their starting salary. I'm not sure that much about how much clinical psychologists make, but they generally charge over $200 per hour so I'd say once you're established, you'd be making big $$, you do the math.

what kinda jobs? Well I've never heard of a psychologist who is a 'counsellor' -thats for ppl who study counselling at tafe or whatever, counselling is more about 'listening' to ppl's probs (not so much treating those probs).
For jobs, you can become a clinical, forensic, organisational psychologist (main 3), sports psychologist, criminal psychologist. Consulting is also good if you want the big $$.

oh and lexicographer, you said something about doing psych in another thread, were you talking about psychiatry or psychology?

Now USyd offers medical psychology, and within years clinical psychologists will be prescribing drugs (psychology students will do the final year/2 years in the med faculty)...

Last edited:

FLR-IT

so let me get this rite

can u become a clinical/forensic/organisational etc pyschologist if u major in pysch in arts or sci??

Patricio

UNSW Member
yeh, if you get honors with the arts or science degree (to become a psychologist you need honors -remember competition is very high for those 5-10 places for non-B.Psych student honors), and then go on to do a Masters/Doctorate of clinical/forensic/organisational psychology (you need a first class honors/second class honors division 1 to get into Masters/Dr).

So yeh, its possible through arts/sci, but remember you need masters/Dr in those 3 fields to become one, and each uni only lets around 10-15 into each masters/Dr program I think.

The alternative is to leave uni after the honors year, and do 2 years of supervised work experience, and then you can be registered as a Psychologist, but obviously on the $ side, I don't think you'd be making as much as a Masters/Dr graduate, unless you get into the consulting side of psych.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)