what would a 32 raw mark in chemistry get scaled to? (1 Viewer)

vishnay

God
HSC
i'm pre sure the lowest aligned mark is a 50 so im guessing ur exam mark would be a 50

correct me if i'm wrong

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
i'm pre sure the lowest aligned mark is a 50 so im guessing ur exam mark would be a 50

correct me if i'm wrong
Additionally, considering the alignment of Chemistry, your Examination Mark may reflect some strong alignment, possibly resulting in a considerably higher Examination Mark compared to your raw mark. However, if this were true, then I think 50 would be the highest possible aligned Examination Mark you can receive. 🤔

With that being said, a raw mark of 32 would be problematic, irrespective of the subject in which it is achieved.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
What if your ranked first with a low mark like 50. And get 99 in the exam.
Doesn’t NESA do their scaling to ensure that they account for different schools giving varying difficulties of marking and assessments.
For example if a teacher marks very harshly on all 4 assessment, yet another teacher just casually hands out marks.

How would their internal mark be scaled in this case? If they 50 internals but still ranked first. And 99 in the hsc exam
Consistent with what tito981 mentioned, the Assessment Mark is subject to the moderation process. If a student is ranked first, their Assessment Mark will be adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark, which can be achieved by either themselves or any other student in their cohort.

In your example, the student is ranked first, meaning the above moderation rule applies. This means that if they receive 99 as their Examination Mark, their Assessment Mark will also be 99, ultimately leading to a 99 as their HSC mark (final mark) in that particular subject.

sab13562

HSC
So if I rank first internally, and I come second place in HSC, my assessment mark becomes the mark of the person who got first place in HSC? If so, why? And how is that fair?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
So if I rank first internally, and I come second place in HSC, my assessment mark becomes the mark of the person who got first place in HSC? If so, why? And how is that fair?
That is correct. The moderation process exists because the way in which schools set and mark assignments/exams can be different, which means that comparing students with other students across the state solely on that basis unfair. Moderation makes this process fair because the students will then be compared using one common element that is set and marked in exactly the same way, being the HSC exam.

laterz laterz

HSC
Let's suppose you are rank 1st internally. You come second place in HSC with a mark of 96 whereas the person who came 1st in the HSC examination got a mark of 98. Because you are ranked 1st internally, 98 (1st place in HSC would become your internal mark), therefore your overall mark would be the average of 96 and 98, that is 97. And now because you placed 2nd in the HSC exam, your mark of 96 would become the 2nd persons internal mark. So the person who came 2nd internally would get a mark of the average of 96 and 98 as well, that is 97. So basically both of you guys will get the same overall mark.

Wdym by fair. It's fair because even though you performed well internally, you kinda slacked off externally whereas the other person who slacked off internally did beast externally, so therefore you guys get the same overall mark.

Someone correct me if I am wrong

EDIT: BY SLACK OFF I DONT MEAN YOU DIDNT WORK HARD. I JUST MEAN YOU CAME 2ND LMAO

uniqueusername1

HSC
so wouldn't it be better to go to a low ranked school and rank first in all internals. Then do well in the hsc.
So would going to a selective school put you at a disadvantage? since you may not rank first internally?
let me put it simply.

Either go to a really good school. Or go to the worst school haha (easy to top).

In the middle you get killed.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Let's suppose you are rank 1st internally. You come second place in HSC with a mark of 96 whereas the person who came 1st in the HSC examination got a mark of 98. Because you are ranked 1st internally, 98 (1st place in HSC would become your internal mark), therefore your overall mark would be the average of 96 and 98, that is 97. And now because you placed 2nd in the HSC exam, your mark of 96 would become the 2nd persons internal mark. So the person who came 2nd internally would get a mark of the average of 96 and 98 as well, that is 97. So basically both of you guys will get the same overall mark.

Wdym by fair. It's fair because even though you performed well internally, you kinda slacked off externally whereas the other person who slacked off internally did beast externally, so therefore you guys get the same overall mark.

Someone correct me if I am wrong

EDIT: BY SLACK OFF I DONT MEAN YOU DIDNT WORK HARD. I JUST MEAN YOU CAME 2ND LMAO
Just one thing, with ranks other than first and last, students may not receive the exact same equivalent Examination Mark as their Assessment Mark. However, they will definitely receive a mark that is very close. Consider the following example from NESA:

Example table

As you can see, the second highest Examination Mark is 80, but the student who ranked second internally received a Moderated Assessment Mark of 77.

so wouldn't it be better to go to a low ranked school and rank first in all internals. Then do well in the hsc.
So would going to a selective school put you at a disadvantage? since you may not rank first internally?
There may be a risk associated with this approach. Attending a school with an academically capable cohort (such as a selective school) mitigates the risk associated with achieving unexpected/unsatisfactory results, because the cohorts performs at a higher standard overall, as opposed to a low ranking school with an academically inferior cohort.

laterz laterz

HSC
Just one thing, with ranks other than first and last, students may not receive the exact same equivalent Examination Mark as their Assessment Mark. However, they will definitely receive a mark that is very close. Consider the following example from NESA:

Example table

As you can see, the second highest Examination Mark is 80, but the student who ranked second internally received a Moderated Assessment Mark of 77.

There may be a risk associated with this approach. Attending a school with an academically capable cohort (such as a selective school) mitigates the risk associated with achieving unexpected/unsatisfactory results, because the cohorts performs at a higher standard overall, as opposed to a low ranking school with an academically inferior cohort.
Thanks for the correction 🐐

uniqueusername1

HSC
So if your coming first internally you can essentially give up?

Lets say your internal mark is 90 and rank is 1
In External no.1 Gets 58 (comes 2nd)

Lets say the the guy number 2's internal mark is 88
In External no.2 Gets 98 (comes 1st).

Does that mean no.1 gets 98 as assessment mark? I'm so confused lol. And no.2's hard work was in vain.

laterz laterz

HSC

Does that mean no.1 gets 98 as assessment mark? I'm so confused lol. And no.2's hard work was in vain.
lol what no
bro its your overall mark that matters

if you come 1st internally but you do shit externally, your overall mark with be bad because overall mark is determined by the average of assessment mark and HSC examination mark. so you still need to grind for externals to keep your overall mark up

specificagent1

HSC

yes, but you cant give up because your own external mark is your performance

uniqueusername1

HSC
kk

So if you come first internally you are not guaranteed highest overall mark?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)