what would you buy for $20k (1 Viewer)

deon_c

since i've been looking at car prices ive noticed you can buy a fair few decent sports cars for under 20k. skylines, 180sx's, s14a 200sx's NA supra's the list goes on. What would you buy for 20 grand or less?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Anything you've listed would be good - check insurance issues though.....

SlipStream

HSC
I'd probably buy an older car and spend the money doing it up - or an MY98 or whereabouts WRX sounds good, but when an insurer gets the hint that a WRX is to wear a P-plate they either: a) fold up their suitcase, jump in their Camry and disappear, or b) make you get another job to pay for the premium. And you'll probably need insurance to cover the price of the excess on the other insurance. Especially with the NRMA.

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
ok well it might be a bit more than 20 grand (maybe 21-22k)

but a VU series II storm ute... i'll prob be getting one of those (or maybe a standard VY ute) next year...

i've heard that one of the VU models has really bad gear boxes though - anyone know anything about that?

SlipStream

HSC
ballerinabarbie said:
i've heard that one of the VU models has really bad gear boxes though - anyone know anything about that?
Sounds like hogwash to me. Sometimes these weird rumours get around - like the one about the first model BA Falcon having dangerously dud stoppers. Yer right!

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
SlipStream said:
Sounds like hogwash to me. Sometimes these weird rumours get around - like the one about the first model BA Falcon having dangerously dud stoppers. Yer right!
yeah, XR6 shared the same as the Taxis :p ??

i'd go buy a BA ute :eek:

then again, thats what im aiming for atm :p

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
i would buy a vw golf... or a second hand mx5 or somethiing like that so that it has decent performace, but the insurance company isnt going to look at it, then charge you half the price of the car in the first year to keep it insured... for that reason i would steer clear of wrx.
i might consider a softer car like a mazda 6 or a suburu liberty

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
ballerinabarbie said:
nah holdens all the way... they just look better
:/

yeah, well you can stick to your holden and i'll take my BA

im not going to argue over something pathetic

SlipStream

HSC
*sits on fence*

Nah I used to be obsessed with Fords but nowadays I'm a lot more impartial to all manufacturers. Generally Ford sell better products than GM Holden though.

Back on topic: there's so much you could buy for $20k. I'd have to have a really good sit down - E30 328i, MX5, R32 GT-R, WRX... too much!

deon_c

hmm i reckon performance oriented i coudlnt go past an r32 gt-r but for 20 grand I'd get a totally thrashed specimen which will cost alot of money in maintenance and insurance woudl be a killer.... As for the NA supra's does anyoen know how their gearboxes cope with extra power?

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
deon_c said:
hmm i reckon performance oriented i coudlnt go past an r32 gt-r but for 20 grand I'd get a totally thrashed specimen which will cost alot of money in maintenance and insurance woudl be a killer.... As for the NA supra's does anyoen know how their gearboxes cope with extra power?
supra boxes get put into heaps of performance cars (street) :/

turbo boxes are obviously stronger, but N/A ones still hold their own i think...to an extent of course, they ARE a mass-produced gearbox

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
Back on topic: there's so much you could buy for $20k. I'd have to have a really good sit down - E30 328i, MX5, R32 GT-R, WRX... too much!
Heh. Just not to confuse anybody, I think you meant E36 328i (the E30s never had that model designation). The E30s (four round headlights) go upto 325i/e. The E36 328s are a tad more expensive than 20k, though.

No pedanticism implied :)
That aside, Bimmers are definitely the way to go.

SlipStream

HSC
petar13 said:
Heh. Just not to confuse anybody, I think you meant E36 328i (the E30s never had that model designation). The E30s (four round headlights) go upto 325i/e. The E36 328s are a tad more expensive than 20k, though.

No pedanticism implied :)
That aside, Bimmers are definitely the way to go.
(Don't worry - all benefactors are always under pressure to be 100% correct.)

Excuse time: I think I was thinking of the 325e with the eta 2.7L then somehow it all got messed up with the 323i (which is what I meant, a good example) and the 325i and then it all just went down hill from there... I did mean E30 though; they're one of my favourite cars.

So, err, thanks for that...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)