What you hate about UNSW (1 Viewer)

FeelBare

HSC
Basically. And this is bad to categorise them as such but, the snobs are the ones from HK. The rude ones are Indonesian. The nicest (and most helpful) you'll ever meet are the Singaporeans.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
FeelBare said:
Basically. And this is bad to categorise them as such but, the snobs are the ones from HK. The rude ones are Indonesian. The nicest (and most helpful) you'll ever meet are the Singaporeans.
meh, they all seem the same to me.

Everyone (asians inlcluded) ive met has been very very kind.

FOBS? Havent seen a single one :S (I think)

beentherdunthat

HSC
lol i feel weird at nsw. I think asians have the comfort zone there. But maybe it's coz it's only the first week.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
acmilan- People that cut in line for bus queues /quote said:
So true, Like yesterday some Male Blonde Haired ponytailed 40year old idiot who hadnt shaved for 10 years and has clearly wasted his life ran past like a hundred people (literally) and jumped onto one of the buses...

Pathetic.

karoooh

HSC
mitsui said:
Yes. It is.

I thought I was mentally prepared for the density of Asians... but wow!

I found it hard to make friends as a newbie because Asians just hang within their little groups.

& non-asians are nowhere to be seen. o_O

I think I will start jigging from next week as well.
OMG

No, Jing! Come find me and we'll hang! :eek:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Avanti said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the retarded 12 week semesters. And the fact we have a 2 day stuvac, weekend exams and a midsem break after wk 2 when we just got back from holiday.
Tbh the 12 week semesters are the only thing i like atm. I'm all for one less month at uni a year. Last I checked stuvac is exactly as long as it always is, exams always started on the thursday after final week of semester, and from what i remember seeing on the academic calendar, this year is exactly the same. Mid semester after week 2 sucks, but not much they can do about it because its the easter break, same thing happened a few years ago.

sarevok

HSC
Actually I'll throw in some support for the international students because all the ones I've met have been very nice. I've also done a bit of volunteering on campus and I can tell you that the majority of the volunteers are international students.

What annoys me:

- Why are the 891/895 buses going outside near NIDA now? Is this permanent? It's a bit of a walk
- Midsession break in week 3
- The congestion near the express buses on Eddy Ave around 8-9am is just ridiculous
- Roundhouse simply isn't a very nice bar
- Reiterating 'campus built on a hill...'
- Traveling times
- Whilst like I said the international students all seem to be very nice, the ethnic disparity, especially in commerce faculty, is somewhat disturbing

Chris.

HSC
sarevok said:
Actually I'll throw in some support for the international students because all the ones I've met have been very nice. I've also done a bit of volunteering on campus and I can tell you that the majority of the volunteers are international students.

What annoys me:

- Why are the 891/895 buses going outside near NIDA now? Is this permanent? It's a bit of a walk
- Midsession break in week 3
- The congestion near the express buses on Eddy Ave around 8-9am is just ridiculous
- Roundhouse simply isn't a very nice bar
- Reiterating 'campus built on a hill...'
- Traveling times
- Whilst like I said the international students all seem to be very nice, the ethnic disparity, especially in commerce faculty, is somewhat disturbing
politik has said this somewhere before, its not the international students who piss every1 off, its the locals who have their bboy societies and breakdance on the main walkway

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Favouring of policy which enhances financial income over quality of education and student life, e.g.:

- Shortening semesters in order to fit in more summer courses (i.e. more $$)

- Placing a general blackban on most of the small (< 20 people) seminar courses in the arts fac because of the 'low' student:teacher ratio

- Increasing the number of medical students each year despite overstepping the student capacity of the lecture theatres (Quote: "Due to the large number of students in phase 1, the CLB7 lecture theatre cannot accommodate all students safely. In order to alleviate this problem, when lectures are scheduled in CLB7, the CLB8 lecture theatre will also be used. The lecture will be broadcast to both lecture theatres.")

- Cutting out arts majors and entire arts schools (or rather, combining them - they now have a school of History, Philosophy & Phil of Science)

- Letting go of junior lecturing staff (or refusing to put them on contracts longer than 6 months) without hiring new ones and then expecting senior staff to cover their work load without an increase in pay.

- And on and on...

Bendent

HSC
Avanti said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the retarded 12 week semesters. And the fact we have a 2 day stuvac, weekend exams and a midsem break after wk 2 when we just got back from holiday.

The fucking stairs-i can hear my ears popping due to the change in altitude.

Why are people complaining just about the non-english speaking students? What about the teachers who hold our education in their hands, yet can not pass any knowledge on due to their inability to speak the language (*cough school of finance *cough)

Although i have to say, apart from the understandable fustration in communicating with international students, there's no reason for this asian bashing. Especially by fellow asians.

Please, get over your inferiority complex.
yeah i agree.

there aren't that many international students in my tuts this semester.

as long as u are able to communicate with ppl who cares whether they are asian/other race or not.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
For those that can't stand the queues at Eddy Avenue for the express buses, get off at Town Hall and walk over to Elizabeth Street and catch a normal bus instead. Those buses take maybe all of 3 minutes longer to get to uni, and are probably quicker if you take into account boarding times on the expresses.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
Chris. said:
politik has said this somewhere before, its not the international students who piss every1 off, its the locals who have their bboy societies and breakdance on the main walkway
what? In all my time at UNSW I've never seen the D2MG folks piss anyone off, they always seem pretty friendly to me. What's wrong with the local students?

IceOnFire

HSC
I think I've offended alot of ppl by asking them if they are international students when they sound or dress fob.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
^ smooth.

can somebody link me a website or just summarise it for me, why did we have a 12 wk semester to start with? and whose brilliant idea was it to have next to no stuvac before the final exam?

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
wuddie said:
^ smooth.

can somebody link me a website or just summarise it for me, why did we have a 12 wk semester to start with? and whose brilliant idea was it to have next to no stuvac before the final exam?
u go to UNSW? lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)