• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What's better, Cambridge 4u or Patel? (3 Viewers)

hayabusaboston

HSC
Hey what textbook is better for ext 2 maths, Patel or Cambridge? ext 2 cambridge is written by different people so I was wondering if it maintains the difficulty that cambridge had in 3u yr 11 and 12. But I heard even baulko uses patel, so wondered whats the way to go?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hey what textbook is better for ext 2 maths, Patel or Cambridge? ext 2 cambridge is written by different people so I was wondering if it maintains the difficulty that cambridge had in 3u yr 11 and 12. But I heard even baulko uses patel, so wondered whats the way to go?
Patel.

The Extension 2 Cambridge does not live up to the name and the reputation set up by the Extension 1 series, written by Bill Pender.

Peeik

HSC
Patel.

The Extension 2 Cambridge does not live up to the name and the reputation set up by the Extension 1 series, written by Bill Pender.
Does anyone know why Bill Pender didnt write an extension 2 text?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
K so Patel in general is probably the best right? Only, terry lee has worked solutions hmm.
Indeed he does have worked solutions. Some of them are pretty good, others are rather 'brute force' in nature.

Does anyone know why Bill Pender didnt write an extension 2 text?
Rumours are that he is indeed writing one, due to be released. I look forward to it because in my opinion the only textbook so far for MX2, that is clearly written by a Mathematician, is the Coroneos book (RIP Coroneos).

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
So then terry lee is better than patel, do u reckon carrotsticks?
Personally, I think Patel is better in terms of questions. However, Terry Lee's only advantage is that it has fully worked solutions and fabulous colours.

HSC
Use both lol. I have all of them...and fitzpatrick. But fitzpatrick has some very un-HSC like questions that are largely irrelevant (some of them)

iBibah

HSC
Personally, I think Patel is better in terms of questions. However, Terry Lee's only advantage is that it has fully worked solutions and fabulous colours.
Cambridge is putting 4U in colour too. 3U has already been made into colour (got both the new book and PDF) and it looks pretty good.

hayabusaboston

HSC
And ur opinion guys, for 3u, is it better to just work off yr 11 and 12 cambridge mainly, or to do past papers? or work through cambridge and THEN do past papers? same goes for patel, just the book and/or the book then papers.

Also do u guys reckon it makes sense to study ahead over these next 3 weeks in 3u and 4u so by term 4 I know all the stuff we're doing for the whole term? or do u reckon its better to just go with the flow?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Many of these textbooks take past paper questions from 1980s. But I would pick Cambridge over Patel.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
And ur opinion guys, for 3u, is it better to just work off yr 11 and 12 cambridge mainly, or to do past papers? or work through cambridge and THEN do past papers? same goes for patel, just the book and/or the book then papers.

Also do u guys reckon it makes sense to study ahead over these next 3 weeks in 3u and 4u so by term 4 I know all the stuff we're doing for the whole term? or do u reckon its better to just go with the flow?
Study ahead if you can.

Also, best to use both the textbook and past papers simultaneously.

Peeik

HSC
Rumours are that he is indeed writing one, due to be released. I look forward to it because in my opinion the only textbook so far for MX2, that is clearly written by a Mathematician, is the Coroneos book (RIP Coroneos).
I thought Coroneous didnt have a phD? He only had a B.Sc and dip ed...or did you mean symbolically that he's a mathematician?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Blast my memory.

Either way, he conveys a lot more Mathematical knowledge than any other textbook user apart from Bill Pender, and it reflects through the quality of the questions and explanations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)