• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What's Computer Engineering like? (1 Viewer)

exquisite

blah
HSC
Hi, ive currently just gone into year 12 and im thinking of studying computer engineering at UTS. I just wanna know what the course is like and what the job opportunities are like after the FIVE years at uni

MoNNiE

HSC
don't be fooled by the course being 5 years along,
remember 1 year of this course is devoted to industrial exeperience..

most of the jobs relate to the IT industry..
from the people i've spoken to, they said its hard to actually land yourself a job within the computer engineering sector..

but eh.. someone prove me wrong at that..

PG5

HSC
mon is a net junkieeeee

mon is a junkieee!! 1000+ posts already... how's ur boi ay?
;-)
haha do u ever see him around?

umm yeah, it's hard to land a job in the IT industry nowadays because the IT industry is saturated already... that means there are a lot of people looking for IT work, but less jobs are available nowadays...

a person i met at camp at the beginning of the year is starting another course this year after something like 8 years part-time in his IT course previously because it was really hard for him to find a job in IT.

i think that's the same with telecommunications if you want to major in that...

So yeah... keep asking around.
It's better to know what you want to do sooner rather than later. hehe if not, you'll probably end up doing a course that you really have no interest in (like other ppl i know) and end up trying to get a credit average, so u could internally-transfer courses within the uni.... if you do that, worse case scenario, you might end up dropping out of uni...

good luck though!

subice

*Veni*Vidi*Vici*
HSC
exquisite said:
Hi, ive currently just gone into year 12 and im thinking of studying computer engineering at UTS. I just wanna know what the course is like and what the job opportunities are like after the FIVE years at uni
The best option for you would be to borrow or purchase a copy of this year's UAC guide. It has a brief description of all the courses available at all the major universities in Australia... i think... That'll probably help you the most with your decision making. But also remember that UTS offers at least 48 weeks of work experience. This will become extremely handy after you graduate.
Do take visits to uni open days as uni's tend to try and show themselves off and i think you can get a lot of answers directly from the lecturers of the engineering courses.
Job opportunity is always an unanswerable question. I don't think any one can really predict what the industries will be like in 5 or 6 years time. But as for current situations, it seems that most computer system engineering employment is around Aus Defence Industry and a few computer hardware industries. And that's really is the case for most engineers these days. But who knows, things might be very different in 6 years time (i really hope so coz i want a job dammit!).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)