What's life at TAFE like? (1 Viewer)

CloudDeter

HSC
I am seriously considering TAFE as a pathway after the HSC. I am wondering what life is like at a TAFE campus. Are there any other students of a young age going there? And also do they have those clubs/groups like at uni? I wouldn't mind making some new friends there.
I've heard some great things about TAFE, one being cheap and another being practical. Share your experience with me please! :)

redsxzz

HSC
N/A
No clubs like the chess or glee club or anything, there's a student association but thats for shit like parking and whatever. Its not like a school environment at all, no SRC, no assemblies etc, its very austere, you come for classes and then you leave really. YOu can still make friends and what not though hey, I guess it would be cheaper because there's less excursions and that shebang. The subjects are of course condensed because its over a year, so you can either do a lot on your own or just study very concisely for the tests. The kids there are slackers often with a lot of personal problems so if you want a decent atar, you have to keep your ranking up. Students generally range from 17-21ish. The eldest we have is 25. I go Bankstown Tafe.

coffee_

HSC
It's an adult institution, you refer to the teachers by their first name. You'll get students of a variety of ages, ranging from 15 to even 50 lol. There was a class that my friend went, after year 12. Her class had mostly 17-18 years olds, a few students in their 20s and a parents in her 40s. There are some "trouble makers" who talk during class, play loud music, disrupt the class, etc but they get dealt with immediately and are asked to leave the class. You will definitely make friends but don't expect life-long friends because most of people just want to finish the course. It's like a blend between school and uni, they expect you to be more independent than school but the teachers are more personal with you, you can get help with them whenever. Yes! Great thing about Tafe is that it's really cheap and you can even be eligible for Fees-help or get centre link benefits

CloudDeter

HSC
That sounds really great! I'm hoping I might get some friends out of it though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)