what's more important--rank or marks? (1 Viewer)

what's more important--rank or marks?

• rank

Votes: 36 72.0%
  • mark

Votes: 14 28.0%

• Total voters

bettina44

HSC
i got my physics test the other day and i got 70%but i came second in the class-crap mark,
on the other hand i got my ist asessment and got 97% but my ranking was like 20th-good mark,crap rank

so what's more important a good mark and a crappy rank or a crappy mark and a good ranking?

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
your assessment marks are important for you to get a top rank in your cohort.
your rank is then important in determining your final hsc mark for that subject.
Hence, if you come 1st in your cohort, the highest exam mark will be yours. Then they average your exam mark with the highest exam mark. And if the highest exam mark was yours in the first place then your hsc mark will be that.
That's what I've gathered. Correct me anyone if im wrong.
SO ranks and marks are both important in lead up to your final hsc mark, but they are just important in different ways and times.

TurkStyle

HSC
it depends
if you know that people that got a higher rank than you will get a better hsc mark then it doesnt matter
but getting a high rank insures people who got a higher rank but did shit in hsc mark wont decrease your hsc.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Ranks. I usually don't look at my mark, but I usually try to ascertain my rank.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Well of course ranking is more important, but in saying that, you should always try and maximise your marks, because it's better to come first by 10 marks, then come first by 1 mark - gives you a bit more assurance you can keep your high ranking.

selablad

HSC
the-derivative said:
Well of course ranking is more important, but in saying that, you should always try and maximise your marks, because it's better to come first by 10 marks, then come first by 1 mark - gives you a bit more assurance you can keep your high ranking.
Slightly random, but when they're calculating your UAI/whatever, do they take into account how much you beat everyone by? As in, is it better UAI-wise to come first by 10 marks instead of 1?

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
selablad said:
Slightly random, but when they're calculating your UAI/whatever, do they take into account how much you beat everyone by? As in, is it better UAI-wise to come first by 10 marks instead of 1?
Even though you get the top exam mark as your assessment, if you come 1st internally, for the other ranks, yes, they do take difference into account for your individual subjects.

The UAI itself is a direct rank, but for the individual subjects, differences apply.

Last edited:

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Great marks achieve high rankings. 100% in exam = rank 1. Therefore mark is more important.

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
Aplus said:
Great marks achieve high rankings. 100% in exam = rank 1. Therefore mark is more important.
Yes, but some schools have incredibly easy assessments, and some have needlessly hard assessments.

It's inter-subject as well, I know because heaps of people in Economics at my school who got marks like 91/100 when in their HSC they achieved Band 5, and in Modern History, some guys who got in the 60s ended up with similar results, and pretty much everybody who beat 70 got above 85 in the actual HSC.

bored of sc

HSC
You need the get decent marks to get decent ranks (well at least I think so) or at least get the best mark out of your class to be ranked number 1. They are just as important as each other. It is a mutually beneficial relationhship. Top mark = top rank. I know this sounds stupid and straight forward but if you don't realise if you get a relatively higher mark in comparison to your class you get the higher rank!

Also, in the HSC isn't half your subject's mark determined by your external examination MARK?

Furthermore, as others have stated; marks allow an individual to forget the strugles and dog-eat-dog world of marks and see if they have met their individual goals (I understand an individual goal can be a high rank, but that is comparing yourself to others). A mark allows you to see how you are fairing in a course, whether your exam technique needs fine-tuning and whether your study quantity and quality needs to be adapted to better suit the demands of a subject.

However, regardless of all this, as you all have said - it is a dog eat dog world where the marks turn into ranks and your UAI shows your HSC performance in comparison to the rest of the state. Also, for your assessment mark (50%) of your HSC mark it is ranks that establish your marks for this, rather than the other way around. So in this respect, ranks are vital.

Conclusion to be made: they are both important - equally important.

Last edited:

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Mark means nothing.
Rank means everything.

The only thing that matters at the end of the year is what your rank is. It doesn't matter if you get 99% in your test but all 99 other people got 100%, you'll get a shit rank of 100/100. So in the HSC, if you get 100% in the external exams (which means 1st for your school) and the rank last person got 20 (for some reason), then that will be your assessment mark.

Your final HSC mark will then be (100 +20)/2
That gives you approximately 60 in your final HSC mark. I know it's not that simple, as scaling comes into consideration, but that's the general way of doing it.

selablad

HSC
It depends on what you value more. If it's personal mastery, then marks are more important. If it's getting a good UAI, ranks are more important...

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah.. In short they are both important.

Just say you get 40% but come first. Now assuming the teacher has marked and set the exam correctly and to decent standards, is you 40% justified by coming first? I say no. If you get 40% then (assuming the above) it is BAD. Rankings are good to look at to see how you are going compared to your peers, and although this has value, your marks are what are important.

That said, in terms of your HSC marks, school assessment rank is more important to marks.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I think ranks are more important because they reflect your performance against your peers. What's better getting 45% and coming first with the next highest mark of 10% or 20 people getting 100%?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)