• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

whats needed to get IB (1 Viewer)

romanov12

HSC
Hi i just finished my VCE and landed a score 94.7 and am now doing a commerce/info sys at group of eight univeristy ( monash) ... due to ill ness in yr 12 i wasnt able to get a 97 plus score.. shoudli throw in the towel in terms of aspiring for career in investment banking .>> if not >> I have read previous forums on this site about similar topiks.. but i would like to know what i would need to do in uni from my current position( reasonablly low UAI/ENTER compared to ther applicants) to get inetrnship and grad position at IB>>> i would apreacite ur feed bak

Raj

Last edited:

Capitalist

HSC
Hahaha another one. I think Tacky will love this thread.

Maybe you IB pros should start a sticky on everything there is to know about IBs. So many people seem to want to work for them.

treason

HSC
1.) Try and transfer into Comm/Law

If not possible, that's still ok. The following still apply.

- Get a HD average for Commerce and IS (and all Finance subjects must be
HD)
- Get involved in extra cirriculars e.g. clubs (try and get and office position
- Read the Economist, WSJ, ASWJ, Bloomberg every single day. Concentrate on the big issues (interest rates, oil prices now) and big deals (Snowy Hydro, T3 in OZ. Globally Guidant and Boston Scientific, Chipotle recently, State banks in China going public - BOC next up, Mittal in Europe, etc).
- Develop a speciality focus in one or two areas e.g. Geography or Function and read up on everything related to it.
- Start trading shares.
- But the big WOW factor is if you could start and run a successful business while at UNI.

Your UAI/TER becomes irrevelant if you can show at UNI that your have what it takes (i.e. get a HD average).

phrred

HSC
Do they check for your UAI?

What about comm/arts with a language?

treason

HSC
phrred said:
Do they check for your UAI?

What about comm/arts with a language?
See what I've said above. The same applies to you.

Also further point to add to my list from the top,

- Network. Find someone on the inside who you can ask questions and who'll pass on your application to HR. It's that much more meaningful when you have a VP behind you or even a very popular star analyst.

romanov12

HSC
treason said:
1.) Try and transfer into Comm/Law

If not possible, that's still ok. The following still apply.

- Get a HD average for Commerce and IS (and all Finance subjects must be
HD)
- Get involved in extra cirriculars e.g. clubs (try and get and office position
- Read the Economist, WSJ, ASWJ, Bloomberg every single day. Concentrate on the big issues (interest rates, oil prices now) and big deals (Snowy Hydro, T3 in OZ. Globally Guidant and Boston Scientific, Chipotle recently, State banks in China going public - BOC next up, Mittal in Europe, etc).
- Develop a speciality focus in one or two areas e.g. Geography or Function and read up on everything related to it.
- Start trading shares.
- But the big WOW factor is if you could start and run a successful business while at UNI.

Your UAI/TER becomes irrevelant if you can show at UNI that your have what it takes (i.e. get a HD average).
yeh thanx ... im already on top of da things u listed .. ive been reading economist etc for year and half now.. but yeh i just gotta get involved in uni and.. get good grades. A question wit the georgrsaphy and function suggestion i dont follow..
if u get back to me.. on that one that woudl be great but thanx for all da help so far.

romanov12

HSC
Capitalist said:
Hahaha another one. I think Tacky will love this thread.

Maybe you IB pros should start a sticky on everything there is to know about IBs. So many people seem to want to work for them.
yeh .. maybe u shoudl start sticky dude.. but ppl like u got it in da bag..with ur com law degre and what not. so u kan afford to look down on the rest of us mofoz.. trying to scranmble to get a place.. in ib firms.

>> but dude its not our bad to aim for the bbest avaliabe position to gain with a commerce degree.

Capitalist

HSC
romanov12 said:
yeh .. maybe u shoudl start sticky dude.. but ppl like u got it in da bag..with ur com law degre and what not. so u kan afford to look down on the rest of us mofoz.. trying to scranmble to get a place.. in ib firms.

>> but dude its not our bad to aim for the bbest avaliabe position to gain with a commerce degree.
Firstly, I wasn't looking down on you at all. I was just half-expecting this thread to become a flame-war, like the others that have been started around the topic.

Secondly, I know little about IBs, as I said, we'll leave it for people who have done internships or received grad positions with them.

If you're straight BCom, why don't you transfer? And if you can't transfer, then go for a finance honours and/or postgrad.

But of course, networking is one of the most important in my opinion. Getting into IB becomes so much easier if you know people who can aid you in getting a foot in the door.

romanov12

HSC
yeh nah ... i get whsat u mean by flame war when i read the past forums on ib topiks..but yeh .. its all good. Yeh im gonna try to hit the books this yr hope flly transfer.. but yeh we will see

treason

HSC
romanov12 said:
A question wit the georgrsaphy and function suggestion i dont follow..
if u get back to me.. on that one that woudl be great but thanx for all da help so far.
Geography - China, US, Middle East anything but Australia (which you definitely must know about). Look at the deals, issues and transactions affecting that market.

Function - IT, Resources, Retail, Consumer Goods. Look at the deals, issues and transactions affecting that industry globally.

Become an expert. Getting an interview really isnt that hard. Once you get there, wowing them is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)