• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Whats the ANU college life like? (1 Viewer)

g4geexa

HSC
So what are the meals like? (for catered colleges) is it the same food everyday of the week eg. steak every wednesday, pasta on every thrusday)

Transport? How frequent are buses and trains to the 'city'?

Is the QVB (like the QVB in sydney) close to the uni? I would assume shops are the same, just not as many branches?

Oh yeah and is there a 'Chinatown'?? (I will miss my asian food)

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
So what are the meals like? (for catered colleges) is it the same food everyday of the week eg. steak every wednesday, pasta on every thrusday)
Bruce Hall has a set menu, so it's something like that. Generally speaking the general trend is the same (eg roast night gets you roast, but the types of roast may vary)

no trains into the city, but the city is a 10 minute walk from where the colleges are. Bus services are quite regular during business hours, especially the intertown service.[/quote]

Oh yeah and is there a 'Chinatown'?? (I will miss my asian food)
the Dickson shops is the de-facto chinatown in Canberra. it's a short bike ride away from uni, and there are a number of asian shops there.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
can you please look at a map of canberra, anu is next to the city. It takes 10 minutes to walk across campus into the city, even less if you're already in union court.

Is the QVB (like the QVB in sydney) close to the uni? I would assume shops are the same, just not as many branches?
Melbourne building, or just the upmarket shopping area in canberra centre, both a 10minute walk from anu.

moc2009

HSC
N/A
lol... Trains. That's funny.

There is one train station in Canberra (and that's not even in the city centre) It's the train out of here.

Canberra is tiny, but everything is close to ANU.

Trains, lol

Andi0390

HSC
Don't rely on Centrelink to support you.

If you are straight out of year 12 chances are they won't just give you money. They will judge it on your parents income.

The only way to get around that is be over 25 (22 with the new budget) or work for 18 months (2 years with the new budget) and earn a certain amount. Otherwise you are still classed as dependent regardless if you live at home or not, or receive money from your parents or not.

The only other way around it is to prove that it is unreasonable to live at home, where your parents have to declare that they will not let you live at home and refuse to support you, or you have the show a youth worker that the situation at home does not allow you to study. Its not just like you fill in a form and they accept, they will call your parents, need written statements from them and a third party like a counselor and you need to go to an interview. This may have changed since I went through the process but don't turn up to Canberra and expect to live of Centrelink as you may be sorely disappointed, as well as hungry and homeless.

If someone has already mentioned this or you have looked into this and solved the problem, then ignore my comment.

In regards to colleges, I was a local student so I didn't get in :mad1: but the only financially viable ones for me would have been Fenner or Burton and Garran. If you are wanting the whole 'on campus' feel Fenner isn't probably the best bet, as it is a 10 or 15 minute walk to the campus. I believe for those you are looking at about $160 a week and they are not catered.

Alternatively you could live with family, although that would be no fun, or share. Sharing a house with students or other people is quite common in Canberra, as the house prices are quite high and there are many students. The suburbs in 'North Canberra' which is where the uni is, all often have share housing. If you are lucky you could get a alright place for around $100 a week, and quite a good one at $170 a week. As a semi rule, the more people who live in a house, the cheaper the rent, so you may be able to cheaply live with four other people and it would not be like a college but still studenty. Also the rooms in the colleges are quite small, so with a house you may get a bigger one as well as the whole lounge room etc thing.

From your comments it appears you have not been to Canberra. Perhaps you are mistaken for what it is like and you should visit it before you decide to move here for three years.

There is not real QVB type place or train system. From ANU you can walk to Civic, where they have semi upmarket places, but it is not the whole inner city feel. Its just a mall with some outside coffee shops and a merry go round. Canberra is very different from most other Australian cities. Consider doing your research before jumping the gun and telling everyone you want to come here.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
wow, nice post andi. just to confirm, apparently the new centrelink budget says that you have to work for a minimum of 30 hours a week for 18 months to be able to apply for YA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)