• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Whats the best degree to combine with Law? (1 Viewer)

bebe<3

HSC
Im tossing between Arts Psychology/Laws OR Business/Laws...

I have no idea if Ill actually like Psychology but I do have an interest in it whereas, I have zero interest in Business or Commerce subjects but I would consider doing it if it gives more job opportunities..

I want to work in Law so not sure if doing Business will be relevant.. I dont have definite (or any) plans on working in Corporate Law but Im just wondering does doing Business/Law give better access to that field?

What do employers prefer?? :)

One thing for sure, I dont like Accounting or anything finance related! Which doesnt leave me with many options for majors in a Business degree..

Im leaning towards psychology but just wanna read what the smart people here think!

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
it really shouldn't matter. go with your interest. it seems that corporate firms do not have much of a bias towards commerce/business-combined graduates...

on the other hand, should you choose not to drop your law degree or not work in law, then your choice of degree may have to take into consideration employment opportunities available.

Lainee

HSC
I faced the same problem last year (but I was split between Science (Psych)/Law, Arts (Philosophy)/Law and Comm/Law). Eventually I narrowed it down to Arts or Comm and chose Comm, partly out of parental pressure. :rolleyes:

I didn't choose Psych because if I don't intend to focus on a law career later down the track, I'd have to add a few more years (on top of the 5 yrs I already finished) to be properly qualified to be a psychologist. Also, psych and philosophy interested me but they were things I could read and learn about outside uni (ie. I didn't need a uni degree to fulfil my interest in those areas), whereas I don't think I would be able to manage a working knowledge of business on my own.

It just boiled down to where it was best to spend my money on to boost my knowledge bank. And I thought the returns on a Commerce/Business degree would be greater than the others.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Frigid said:
it really shouldn't matter. go with your interest..
:uhhuh: thats what I think, unless you don't want to practice law, then you may want to consider what degrees would be helpful in such a situation... but I think that you are better off picking something you have an interest in, rather than something that you choose for the sake of it

Good luck :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Mmm..I wouldn't do a business co-degree if you have practically zero interest in it. No matter how smart you are, you'll hate it (most likely) and consequently you won't do as well as you'd like to

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I agree with all the opinions above

Business would provide you with a nice context for working in the corporate law world, and it is the more practical choice, but if you want to practice law then you shouldn't be at a disadvantage for selecting one combination over another.

While not of great importance to law firms, your non-law marks may well end up consistently lower in a business combination if you have absolutely no interest in commerce or accounting. (I would like to have a commerce degree under my belt but I don't have the mental tuning or stomach for things like accounting, etc. My marks would probably have been terrible.)

Edit: Make sure you work hard for your law subjects though!

Last edited:

phrred

HSC
if u dont wanna work in corporate law then definitely go with arts/law. ull notice that most lawyers have BA/LLB and not BComm/LLB. u can do psych and sociology or sumthn, or even politics which is like public law a bit, or u can do english to improve ur writing skills coz lawyers really need communication skills

Demandred

HSC
Ok.... how about economics? If I had no interest in it, would it be a good complement with my LLB in the business world?

I was told it would not be a good complement, but other lecturers begged to differ. et tio?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)