What's the best way to self-mark extended response questions? (1 Viewer)

yanujw

HSC
I'm asking this in the eco forum, but it can be applied widely to all the HSIE subjects, or most subjects really.

I've been writing a few practice essays for eco recently, and I want to know the best way to see how good they are and if I'm improving. Right now I just compare it to general criteria that I assume markers are looking for, like word count, relation to the actual question, progression of ideas, examples + statistics and links to theory, terminology, specific analysis and explanation etc. What other criteria should I be looking at, or how can I get better at improving my essays?

AuroraXT

HSC
Impression marking is a thing for HSC since markers are probably paid for x amount of papers marked (cannot confirm) but something along those lines. For economics in particular, its probably good to read some economic/business-related news articles (as modern as possible), I recommend Ross Gittins from Sydney Morning Herald and the stats you use should also be as recent as possible. Basically you want your that essays to sound like you know your stuff to ensure you get a good first impression although to achieve the best marks every paragraph needs to be coherent (consistently good). Otherwise, I think your approaching essays well.

nourished.

HSC
I like to think of essays as a game of brownie points. The more brownie points you collect throughout the essay, the higher the mark. The actual HSC past papers with answers should provide a list of things you could talk about ('suggested answers'). These make up the crux of your brownie points. And diagrams and statistics that relate to this list give you bonus brownie points. The essay structure and flow of argument tie all your brownie points together for easy counting.

Everything you're doing is cool. You may even want to apply new, random stimuli to already-attempted questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)