What's the difference between a radical and peroxide? (1 Viewer)

teridax

HSC
N/A
A radical as an initiator are substances that produce atoms which do not have a full outer shell of electrons, so a covalent bond would be left loose. That's pretty much what it is.

(and peroxide isn't an initiator lmao; it's a byproduct of a radical. you may want to recheck your understanding :haha: )

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
^ as an initiator?:D

Thanks<3
Don't understand the question O_O. They aren't comparable lol.

A radical as an initiator are substances that produce atoms which do not have a full outer shell of electrons, so a covalent bond would be left loose. That's pretty much what it is.

(and peroxide isn't an initiator lmao; it's a byproduct of a radical. you may want to recheck your understanding :haha: )
Radical is just a molecule/atom/ion with unpaired valence electrons, it can have an incomplete outer shell but still not be a radical. The unpaired valence electron is what leaves the radical highly chemically reactive, so it can be usually to bond with other chemicals to initiate w/e process you want.

Last edited:

teridax

HSC
N/A
Radical is just a molecule/atom/ion with an unpaired valence electron. This leaves the radical highly chemically reactive, so it can be usually to bond with other chemicals to initiate w/e process you want.
This is also true.

I just didn't understand OP's question as it was taken out of context slightly lol.

Fiction

HSC

Thanks for the clarification~

I have no understanding of this haha It's clean out of my head by now c:

Don't understand the question O_O. They aren't comparable lol.

Radical is just a molecule/atom/ion with unpaired valence electrons, it can have an incomplete outer shell but still not be a radical. This leaves the radical highly chemically reactive, so it can be usually to bond with other chemicals to initiate w/e process you want.
:D Thanks <3

For anyone else who is a super nice person and would like to clarify

What exactly is peroxide? And why is it that I have a bunch of notes saying that to make HDPE "A moledcules, called the initiator is used, usually a peroxide."

However, I remember someone else using the word radical, so still confused c:

Last edited:

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
Thanks for the clarification~

I have no understanding of this haha It's clean out of my head by now c:

:D Thanks <3

For anyone else who is a super nice person and would like to clarify

What exactly is peroxide? And why is it that I have a bunch of notes saying that to make HDPE "A moledcules, called the initiator is used, usually a peroxide."

However, I remember someone else using the word radical, so still confused c:
Organic Peroxides are split into R-O radicals, which are used in the addition polymerization process. You can kind of say peroxides are O-O with a single bonds and the oxygen atoms in the peroxide anion have an oxidation state of -1, in contrast to oxide with one of -2. (Peroxides are used since they have fairly low bond dissociation energies in the O-O bond)

Last edited:

Fiction

HSC
Organic Peroxides are split with R-O radicals, which are used in the addition polymerization process. You can kind of say peroxides are O-O with a single bonds and the oxygen atoms in the peroxide anion have an oxidation state of -1, in contrast to oxide with one of -2. (Peroxides are used since they have fairly low bond dissociation energies in the O-O bond)
Thank you! Repped<3

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Cool question, can't really be answered though since there is no real 'difference' per se. A peroxide is an example of a free radical. Organic peroxides (R-O-O-R) have an O-O bond (this bond is literally called the peroxide bond, as a bit of a give away). Two radicals are formed when this bond is cleaved (and it's super easy to cleave by the way). Organic peroxides are the initiators we use to make addition polymers like polyethylene, benzoyl peroxide is really popular. Hope this also answers your question as to what a peroxide is and why it's such a great initiator!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)