Whats the enivironment like? (1 Viewer)

chris_c28

Random Member
HSC
Contrary to popular belief, I think there are still many international students who speak English as a first language and coincidentally, they do come from Asia. :)

elfm

HSC
chris_c28 said:
Contrary to popular belief, I think there are still many international students who speak English as a first language and coincidentally, they do come from Asia. :)
I doubt there are many international students that speak english as a 'first language'. However, there are many with very good english speaking skills, but a majority of them come from Malaysia.

I find that a lot of international students from China are very bad mannered, and that they don't have intentions at all to get to know anyone outside their 'group'. You'll commonly find them walking around uni in groups of 10 or more, talking loudly. However, people from Malaysia, I have no problem with whatsoever. In fact, I'd classify them as Aussie as it gets. They have a slight accent that isn't annoying at all, and their manners and ethics are very similar to what we have in Australia.

dissipate

HSC
N/A
chris_c28 said:
hmm actually.. i think singapore is about the only country in asia that teaches english as a first language. every other international asian student speaks english as a second language.

yeah elfm, malaysians speak english pretty well!

Sharpshooter

Random Hobo
HSC
dissipate said:
well perhaps if the locals made more effort to get to know international students, they'd discover that international students aren't as bad as they made them out to be.

imagine yourself going to a foreign country on your own where the majority of people don't speak your first language. one way to handle homesickness would be to hang out with other people from the same country or who speak the same language.

if locals stick to the english side of rooms, then they themselves are doing what they accuse international students of doing - keeping to their own.
actually ill correct myself there. it isnt right to sterotype hundreds of students into one group and im sure there are heaps of great people who are international students who sadly thus far i havent taken the time to get to know very well.

as for going to uni in a foreign country where its not your first language, yep, that in itself would be one helluva challenge and everyones gotta respect em for trying that.

however what i did mean to do is address the issue of environment which was the topic of the thread, i attempted to decipher between international students and local students who are asian, since they are the majorities at uni? (correct me if wrong, somehow i dont keep stats on hand abt this sorta stuff..) and i hope i did so.. once again addressing the issue of the environment at unsw ill still stand by my earlier post to a degree as what i did write i wrote from my own experiences of the environment, granted as above i sterotyped, but nonetheless its an expression of what i have experienced.

either way my opening line statement stands, "definately should not be a consideration when choosing which uni to goto" addressing the issue of international students + environment etc, all in all its a good campus with great ppl. oh and kudos to any intl students who post on BoS! =D

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I really hate to stereotype but I can only speak from my experiences over the 2 years I've spent at the uni.

Once in a lecture I asked this little asian girl if I could borrow a pencil and she reacted with a nervousness as if I was barking an order at her. She seemed quite taken aback that someone like me would actually talk to her. So I think many of them are just very timid outside their circles.

Last edited:

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Lundy said:
I really hate to stereotype but I can only speak from my experiences over the 2 years I've spent at the uni.

Once in a lecture I asked this little asian girl if I could borrow a pencil and she reacted with a nervousness as if I was barking an order at her. She seemed quite taken aback that someone like me would actually talk to her. So I think many of them are just very timid outside their circles.
She was probably thinking that lending her pencil would mean a loss of marks for her.

Last edited:

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Pfft. She had a whole pencilcase full of them. Unless she was one of those Obessive Compulsives.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I bring 2 pens to uni and that's it. Pencil cases are for sissies.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
elfm said:
UNSW certainly does have one of the most highest rates of international students from Asia. You'd probably find more aussies in courses like engineering, but I'd say there's more asians in UNSW than most other unis in Sydney.
uhh k

there is like 400:1 ratio of asians to australians in EET
pretty much the same in mech and some other engos, nfi what ur on about

dissipate

HSC
N/A
Sharpshooter said:
once again addressing the issue of the environment at unsw ill still stand by my earlier post to a degree as what i did write i wrote from my own experiences of the environment, granted as above i sterotyped, but nonetheless its an expression of what i have experienced.
understood :)

She was probably thinking that lending her pencil would mean a loss of marks for her.
rofl!!

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Lundy said:
Pfft. She had a whole pencilcase full of them. Unless she was one of those Obessive Compulsives.
Fobby insurance policy.

chris_c28

Random Member
HSC
elfm said:
I doubt there are many international students that speak english as a 'first language'. However, there are many with very good english speaking skills, but a majority of them come from Malaysia.

I find that a lot of international students from China are very bad mannered, and that they don't have intentions at all to get to know anyone outside their 'group'. You'll commonly find them walking around uni in groups of 10 or more, talking loudly. However, people from Malaysia, I have no problem with whatsoever. In fact, I'd classify them as Aussie as it gets. They have a slight accent that isn't annoying at all, and their manners and ethics are very similar to what we have in Australia.
I'm so sorry. Should have made my comments clearer. I was simply hinting at the fact that there are many Singaporeans and Malaysians in university who converse well in English.

elfm

HSC
Li0n said:
uhh k

there is like 400:1 ratio of asians to australians in EET
pretty much the same in mech and some other engos, nfi what ur on about
yeh k i guess you know all about civil engineering as well

and by 'more aussies' i didn't mean a higher ratio. i meant more aussies than some other courses

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)