What's the meaning behind this particular reaction (1 Viewer)

Farmerism

HSC
in chemistry contexts theres an equation on how ozone is formed due to the passing of electric current through oxygen,

O2 -> (electrical energy) 2O(g)

2O(g) + 2O2(g) -> 2O3(g)

i ask, why is the (electrical energy) in the products side of the first reaction? shoudnt it be on the reactants side?

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
What page of chemistry contexts is this equation on? Is it printed exactly the way you posted it up?

I think the (electrical energy) is supposed to be under the arrow to represent a needed catalyst for the reaction to occur.

Last edited:

ne plus ultra

HSC
if you want to form an ozone molecule, you need one oxygen atom and one oxygen molecule.
in the first equation it given:O2 -> (electrical energy) 2O(g), the reason why the two oxygen atoms in the products side of the first reaction, i think it s just like a PREPARATION of the next step equation:2O(g) + 2O2(g) -> 2O3(g), which just want to attract your attention to 'see, here is where the oxygen ATOMS come from~'.

dont know if i ve made sense...coz english is not my first language...|||:p sorry if its hard to get my point...```><

tristambrown

HSC
the reaction should read

Electrical Energy
O2 ---------------------> 2OG

As the electrical energy (such as that from high atmosphere lightning) is actually being used up (not like a catalyst which is not used or is regenerated)

Note that UV energy can cause this split aswell (i think it is UVC that can cause this split....

In this same way O3 "protects" earth from UVB & some C

UV Radiation
O3(g)---------------------> O(g)+O2(g)

Uv energy is used to break the co-ordinate covalent bond between O2 and it's extra O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)