Whats Wrong With Speeches?? (1 Viewer)

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
For 'different readings of the speeches', is that essentially to do with their reception in different contexts, or is it more about the different ways the speeches can be interpreted? I've never even heard this phrase when talking about this module! Gaah!

Oh and also...I would think that 'reception in different contexts' refers also to the way it was recieved at the time of the speechmaking. For example, with Lincoln, the crowd rected well while the newspapers and critics reacted more harshly.

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
One more thing...I think the reception in different contexts is more something they just want you to be aware of. I don't think they'd ever expect you to hypothesise about how each of the speeches *might* have been recieved in different contexts. Rather, they want you to be awareof the fact that context shapes the speech and thus explain why the speeches are so diverse.

welshi

Clearly unemployed again.
HSC
gemita said:
For 'different readings of the speeches', is that essentially to do with their reception in different contexts, or is it more about the different ways the speeches can be interpreted? I've never even heard this phrase when talking about this module! Gaah!

Oh and also...I would think that 'reception in different contexts' refers also to the way it was recieved at the time of the speechmaking. For example, with Lincoln, the crowd rected well while the newspapers and critics reacted more harshly.
yeah that, and just how it's received now compared to how it was received originally eg. king's when it was first given (anyone hear the original recording? "heyll yea!" "no we ain't!" i love that dame in the front row...) and the effect it still has.

GEM! i am so screwed for 2moz...halfway through simple plan, know NOTHING of speeches and CANNOT under ANY circumstances miss the oc. aaaargh.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
gemita said:

Here are a few HSC style questions in a booklet from my teachers:

"Your local library is running a series of lectures that explore how the nature of the audience affects the way texts are received and valued. You have been asked to speak about different receptions of your prescribed text. Compose your speech explaining how you have valued your prescribed text and evaluating a different way it has been responded to and valued. In your response you should consider the structure, language and ideas of the text. You must refer to at least TWO speeches."

"'Once responders understand that the effect of context and the varying questions of value mean we each read a text differently to some degree, we understand that there can be no agreed value.' Write a transcript of a dialogue which debates the quotation above with reference to the text studied. Base your answer on the consideration of at least TWO speeches set for study"

"You have been asked to represent your school at a forum where students are presenting talks on Module B: Critical Study of Texts set for the 2004 HSC. The focus for the evening is: 'Text and Context: different places, different times, different values.' Write the text of a speech that explains how different places, different times or different values have influenced the distinctive qualities of a speech. In your speech you should refer to at least THREE speeches."

So yeah, from those you can see how they might want you to respond to the syllabus requirement of "reception in a range of contexts".

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
reception in diff contexts

i always thought it had to do with differnet periods in time

but i guess it can relate to background. .....

Also
are you guys using any critique's?????

billieroseanna

Seraph said:
are you guys using any critique's?????
Yeah, what's the deal?
I had to use them in my trials! No one's mentioned them. It's kind of a problem because critical readings are hard to find with some of these speeches. Or should I just not bother?

billieroseanna

Goldman was appealing to democractic ideals, freedom, equality, human rights, free speech and patriotism. Have a look at the allusions she makes to historical figures - she's identifying with their values. Also look at her appeal to the audience's patriotism with her descriptive language of the country's beauty. Her speech itself is an example of the importance of freedom of speech, which she demonstrates. The fact that she makes this speech although it is unlikely to help her legally (rather than making a more apologetic or legally-based speech) shows her defiance of the system and determination to do what she belives is right despite adverse consequences.

By the way, why are you studying this now, after it's all over?

Vampire

KOLLARZUP!!
HSC
thanks billieroseanna, im in year 11 thats why im studying it. Another thing - what values were King appealing to...apart from freedom and equality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)