Whats wrong with this answer!!! (1 Viewer)

abdooooo!!!

Banned
i just got my module test back for production of materials and there was this question: assess the potential of ethanol as an alternative fuel and discuss the advantages and disadvantages of its use.

this is what i wrote:
The rate of consumption of crude oil as the main petrol chemical in society will likely see it run out in the next decade or so. Therefore it is important to research an alternative that can replace the non-renewable fossil fuel.
Ethanol is a renewable fuel that can be readily extracted from starches in plants. Currently ethanol can only be used as a fuel extender in a normal car engine (10-20% mixed with other fuels). With modification to the car engine by the car manufacturers, ethanol can easily be used as a main fuel.
Ethanol has the advantage of being renewable (as it is extracted from plants) and it is a cleaner fuel to the environment by producing less soot, and in theory it can also reduce greenhouse emissions therefore being greenhouse friendly.
But there are also many disadvantages in using it. One of the problems is that it is extracted from sugar canes and wheat which needs large amount of land to be harvested. Also large amount of smelly organic waste needs to be disposed of. Furthermore the fermentation process needed to extract ethanol costs much more than obtaining fuels from crude oil.
Ethanol has been tried as an alternative fuel in Brazil in the 80s and it was abandoned because it wasnt economically viable. The success of using ethanol depends on the governments support and funding. Also research must be done into finding out how to extract ethanol from breaking down cellulose which is a major part of biomass. With all these, ethanol can be a success in the future to solve the problem of the non-renewable crude oil as a renewable replacement.

is there anything wrong with it??? can someone tell me why would i only get 4 out 8 for it???:confused:

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
The unco thing about science, is that the teachers are like sheep and mark you according to a guideline. So if you don't say something they have on the list, they won't give u the mark.

"The rate of consumption of crude oil as the main petrol chemical in society will likely see it run out in the next decade or so."

You're assuming more won't be discovered. Science teachers like nit picking.

"Therefore it is important to research an alternative that can replace the non-renewable fossil fuel."

You're meant to assess potential of ethanol, not promote it.

"Ethanol is a renewable fuel that can be readily extracted from starches in plants."

Readily? Fermentation is inefficient, costly and is hopeless for mass production. btw, you might have to mention fermentation and briefly explain it if you want full marks.

"Currently ethanol can only be used as a fuel extender in a normal car engine (10-20% mixed with other fuels). With modification to the car engine by the car manufacturers, ethanol can easily be used as a main fuel."

Again, you're not assessing enthanol as a fuel. Only persuading how good it is. You didn't mention that ethanol is less efficient (less heat of combustion per mole? cant remember) than octane.

"Ethanol has the advantage of being renewable (as it is extracted from plants) and it is a cleaner fuel to the environment by producing less soot, and in theory it can also reduce greenhouse emissions therefore being greenhouse friendly."

Why would it produce less soot? Making of ethanol requires electricity too. Electiricty = burning coal = soot. You can only say less soot, if solar power is used, but you didn't mention it.

"Ethanol has been tried as an alternative fuel in Brazil in the 80s and it was abandoned because it wasnt economically viable. The success of using ethanol depends on the governments support and funding. Also research must be done into finding out how to extract ethanol from breaking down cellulose which is a major part of biomass. With all these, ethanol can be a success in the future to solve the problem of the non-renewable crude oil as a renewable replacement."

Now that brings back memories from reading conquering chem. I fink u've juz basically copied that and added a few sentenses of your own, than don't really deliver a punch.

Your teacher is tight. That's a good thing. He/she is training you to answer a question as close as possible to perfection. So when you do your HSC exams, your answers will be so good, that the markers start sweating trying to find something wrong.

Edit: Another thing wrong wiv ur response is your structure. You answered the advantages with mostly your own words and made ethanol sound like a wonder fuel. But then your disadvantages contradict what you said in the advantages.

And you should ask ur teacher what you did wrong. If you know what ur teacher looks for, then next time u'll know what he/she is after.

Last edited:

abdooooo!!!

Banned
after reading that i think i am very very wrong:( ... maybe i should start paying more attention to the actual question and answering it as complete as possible with lots of details (could've done a more complete one but no time)

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
so your not so perfect after all abdoooooooo

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

HA.......................i should stop now

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by abdooooo!!!

what does it mean by "not so perfect"? you're either perfect or flawed to some degree...but i still believe that i am "perfectful" (i think there is such a word)
perfectful : whats that sposed to mean?

here's a saying i always follow : Practice makes perfect - Nobody's perfect - SO WHY PRACTICE ????;)

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by Da Monstar

perfectful : whats that sposed to mean?
it means that i am fully perfect or otherwise flawless

here's a saying i always follow : Practice makes perfect - Nobody's perfect - SO WHY PRACTICE ????;)
interesting saying...i might just use it on one of those annoying teachers who always says: "Pratice makes perfect blah blah blah..."

N

ND

Originally posted by abdooooo!!!

what does it mean by "not so perfect"? you're either perfect or flawed to some degree...but i still believe that i am "perfectful" (i think there is such a word)
lol that's ironic. there is no word perfectful (at least i don't thnk so), which means you made a flaw in declaring your flawlessness. :D ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)