When do we put calculator into radians? (1 Viewer)

coyney

HSC
Just wondering when do we change our calculator over to radians?
Is there any other time other than when using newton's method?

HSC
There is no need to do this other than Newton's method. Even then, you don't need to convert your calculator into radians.

To input radians,

e.g.

Press the following after you enter

At *, enter

This is assuming you have a CASIO of some sort. This will put a superscript r on the angle and put it into radians without converting the calculator into radians (which can be tedious and along the way you might completely wreck your calculator and die)

Makematics

HSC
the question is when DON'T you need your calculator in radians?!? And when do you ever need degrees? since you are posting this in the extension 1 forum, i assume you are an extension 1 student. if this is so, you will need to get used to radians. however, if you don't like radians, there is a trick to get around this problem. just kidding. there is no way out. i didn't like radians much when i first learnt it, but you'll quickly learn to use it regularly after a while. although newton's method might be the only topic that explicitly requires newtons method, anything involving trigonometry, including inverse trigonometry, will use radians. don't bother trying to escape radians by using degrees, as you will only make it harder on yourself. exams always use radians and only in rare cases such as 3D trig and angle between two lines will degrees be used. also markers will mark you down if you give your answer in degrees unless they explicitly ask for it. Also, i dont know how much you have learnt or if you plan to do 4 unit, but radians are ALWAYS used in integral. personally i have never lived to see an integral with degrees. that would just be a laughing matter. The answer to your question is that the only other SPECIFIC use of radians that i can thing of is in graphing trig/inverse trig functions and quite importantly for finsing arc length, areas of minor segments, etc. which is a part of the 2 unit course. I cannot emphasise enough how important it is to learn radians at an early stage. Ideally one should have mastered radians by the end of the preliminary 3 unit course.

Nws m8

Banned
HSC
Uni Grad
Just wondering when do we change our calculator over to radians?
Is there any other time other than when using newton's method?
To change from degrees to radians :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)