When do you write your notes? (1 Viewer)

liamlolz

HSC
For those of you who make your own notes, when do you do it?
During class? Free periods? Weeknights? Weekends? Daily? Weekly? Holidays? etc.
I'm asking this because I feel as if I never have time to do notes :/

Last edited:

duhdevitt

HSC
Well let's take an example for biology(any subject but I do bio so yeah)
I have two books, 1 book for class work and the other for syllabus and exam study
Book 1 I take into class and I write down everything he says and it doesn't matter if it's messy. Then I'll write which dot point it's allocated to. When I get home, I'll get book two out and write the dot points we covered in class, my notes are structured like
1)Dot Point Name
2) Notes:3 subtitles, class,video,textbooks
3)Diagrams
4) Answer to the dot point

so with that I can not waste time in class and be able to take in as much info without worrying about if my notes are neat. It works for me so yeah

atar goal:91 but will be happy with 85+

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad

With me is that I did it as soon as I learnt something because it stayed fresh in my mind.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Back in Year 12, I tried to do it daily after the corresponding syllabus section has been covered in class.

Sometimes, I would try to go ahead of the class.

Holidays was a suitable time to catch up on notes if I have fallen behind (this might be due to exam periods).

If you feel like you never have time to do notes, you can try to go ahead and then there'll be less pressure to ''keep up''. Alternatively, you might be a person who doesn't need notes (i.e. you can rely on the textbook and doing practice questions).

klee98

HSC
Usually after you finish a chapter in school, probably at the end of the week.
The holidays is when you catch up, your not going to have enough time balancing note making and hw at the same time.

watermelondayo

HSC
N/A
If your school requires that you bring a laptop to school every day, then it's fairly convenient for you to take notes during class time. What I do is whenever the teacher is speaking or demonstrating something that I believe is or will be of value to me, then I make a note of it with however much detail I feel necessary. At this point, the most important thing is to keep up with the teacher, so it's fine if your notes aren't impeccable the first time - it's sufficient to ensure they are comprehensible by you so that you can later refine them when you have time (after school, free periods), where you can then organise them as you feel comfortable.

So when you initially come across the information, I would jot down the essential points; remember not to leave out anything you feel important, and as as quality can always be improved later on while you may forget the main ideas, the main ideas > quality

This applies to any kind of information, worksheets could be invaluable sources of information, as well as diagrams and even random google searches on the internet to clarify things.

If you bring exercise books to school instead, the process is the same, bar the higher efficiency, so it becomes even more crucial that you take in the main ideas and not mind the quality too much.

Kaido

be.
HSC
Or you could just work ahead of the class and make notes during holidays (like right now). This is one of the key advices I've seen on the forums.
School time should be devoted to focus and understanding as well as strengthening already learnt concepts. Content covered in school should not be new to you. (engrish no good, but u get what i mean)

Honestly takes <2 weeks to finish entire syllabus considering 16-18hours a day for 8units (at least for me :lol: )

Gonna get reaped by esl english, gg

Last edited:

liamlolz

HSC
Thanks for your replies everyone :) They've been really interesting to read.

I do take notes is class of what the teacher says, but I'll try to do my 'proper' notes the night after the class.

kyusungasong

HSC
Take notes of what is explained in class. When you get home cut down all the useless words to make the most concise phrasing as possible. Use these to answer the dot points and after repeated practice keywords can be used to bring up a load of information

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)