• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

When to discuss the five areas in religious rites (2 Viewers)

roadcone

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
The 2004 HSC question for Religious Rites was as follows:

Assess how ONE rite of public worship OR ONE rite of personal devotion is significant to believers. In your answer, refer to ONE rite you studied in TWO religious traditions.

In this instance, do we still discuss Symbolism/Sacred Writings/Role of the Celebrant/Human Experiences (can't remember the other one), or do we simply assess the religious rite without reference to these areas?
In my opinion the best way to tackle this question is to show how the rite is significant to the believer through reference to symbolism/role of celebrant (or whatever you have studied.

I say this because I think that it allows you to show exactly what you know and makes it much clearer why the rite is significant to the believer.

For example in Christian marriage the ring is used within all variants as a symbol for the life-long commitment the couple are making to each other. This highlights that marriage as a rite of passage is significant as not only does it reaffirm the central beliefs of the Christian tradition of marriage for life, it also creates defining roles in terms of the obligation that is made between the man and woman.

This is an aspect also made clear within the Anglican, Orthodox and Catholic variants of Christianity through the symbolic drinking from the cup of wine. This gesture is significant as it symbolises the unity that the couple share in Christ as a result of marriage, in essence they share one life and one life source. etc etc etc

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Cool. Thanks roadcone :)

Just another question: what exactly is the difference between "human experiences" and the "impact on the everyday life of the believer"? To me they seem very similar in that both require a discussion of how the religious rite affects the individuals in the religious community e.g. Holy Communion has an impact on the everyday life of the believer in that it allows a Christian to communicate with God, but this can also be seen as a human experience.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Cool. Thanks roadcone :)

Just another question: what exactly is the difference between "human experiences" and the "impact on the everyday life of the believer"? To me they seem very similar in that both require a discussion of how the religious rite affects the individuals in the religious community e.g. Holy Communion has an impact on the everyday life of the believer in that it allows a Christian to communicate with God, but this can also be seen as a human experience.
If your talking about human experiences as one of these:
they are totally different things
everyone does diff ones.
Students learn to:
compare and contrast examples from the same religious rites within TWO religious traditions in relation to TWO of the following:
– the nature, role and function of officiating celebrants
– significance of sacred writings
– use of symbolism
– social structure
– human experiences.
I do sacred writings/symbolism
u may do human experiences
If they ask either/or both everyday life of believer and human experiences u refer to both.
Everyday life of believers is how the rite affects ppl in their everday lives
I do not know what human experiences relates to as we didnt learn that.
But with symbols, u show how symbols are similar and different in the different traditions ie. compare and contrast dotpoint.

Make more sense now mate?
Joe.

volition

arr.
HSC
are you sure? I was under the impression that in your answer you should refer to ALL 5

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
volition said:
are you sure? I was under the impression that in your answer you should refer to ALL 5
did u learn 5? the syllabus states learn 2

d_a_n_z

HSC
what do you think the lieklyhood is of us doing both? and then if they do...are we do one in alot more detail than another (grrr to anyone else who is stuck with officating celebrants) do you think we will be penalised?

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
goan_crazy said:
did u learn 5? the syllabus states learn 2
depends on the detail you go to. Writing about all 5 could sound like you are grabbing for straws but if well written and well done (ie they link) all the power to him I say!

@ Danz...good chance of them asking as its in the syllabus. It should be an even balance between the two re details as if you look at past marking criteria, thats the criteria!
Not penalised as in lose you marks but you will be "locked" into a certain mark range(eg 15-17, 18-20 etc) and probably couldnt get out of that range if that makes sense

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)