When you come across a word you don't know, do you look up its meaning? (1 Viewer)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Hello everyone. I was just wondering if you look up the meaning of a word you don't know when reading a book? I quite frequently come across words I don't recognise in books and sometimes I stop to look them up and sometimes I don't. I find that it makes it less enjoyable and makes the book drag on if I do:(. So what do you do:)?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
nahh i dont bother. usually i read the sentence again and then the meaning becomes apparent.

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
if the word is bothering me, i'll look it up, otherwise i'll make a note of it and look it up later

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
yeah im not a big reader of books, but when i was reading stuff for skool e.g. english or textbooks, i would just look up the meaning on the computer

e.g. online dictionary or go through the thesauraus

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
I do if it stops me from understanding the sentence. Sometimes I'm just a little unsure of what it means, so I make an effort to look it up, but that only works when the dictionary is close by.
I love learning new words though. :) For books I am reading a 2nd+ time I try to make a list of words that are unusual and their meanings, so I can refer back to it if I ever get confused again or if I want to use it in an essay or something.

I do agree that it can make the book less enjoyable, but only if there's a lot of words I don't know. And I haven't had that problem in a while. It depends on what sort of book it is though.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
i've always wanted to start a list of words i don't understand in books and then look them up later... helps for future reference too.

but i'm lazy.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
nope, its nearly always possible to find the meaning of word from the context its in. Unless your reading a crazy book.

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
I don't think I've ever looked a word up, I either ignore it or I try to figure out what the word implies through its context

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by mic
if the word is bothering me, i'll look it up, otherwise i'll make a note of it and look it up later
Originally posted by honky tonk
http://www.dictionary.com

My saviour. :)
:D Who needs later when you have a permanent connection?
Originally posted by Grey Council
nope, its nearly always possible to find the meaning of word from the context its in. Unless your reading a crazy book.
Not true, especially if reading Classics or pleonastic writers. I often find myself using obscure words (usually mythological references) just to piss off readers.

Anyway, I rarely encounter a word or reference of which I am completely ignorant, but when that happens it is all the more incentive to consult the Lexicon! This situation happens to me a lot more frequently when reading in other languages (usually Japanese, but sometimes Latin and Greek bilinguals). When I hit a word I don't know in Japanese I have this wonderful program called JWPce to turn to. It's really a Japanese Word Processor, but the inbuilt dictionary is amazingly powerful.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Indubitably. Tis' better to look up unknown words rather than leave them unknown. Nothing wrong with adding to your vocabulary. Who knows when you could get into a stimulating conversation with prosopopoeia or Hegelian dialectics as a vital element?

Last edited:

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Now that I think about it, it's more often than not that I look up a word purely to ensure that it's the right word I am thinking of. In essays last year, I would often slot words into my sentences and later check that it suits the context of the statement. :p

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
heeheh, i don't read many classics (which is why i got a list from Gregot) so my experience is solely with fantasy trash, and popular culture novels.

as i said, unless your reading a crazy novel, context is usually enough.

virgin^sexy

ctn, t9
HSC
i try to keep a dictionary next to me when im reading at home because lately ive come across a lot of words i dont know the meaning of. but if im say, on the bus reading and i dont know the meaning of a word, i try to work it out by looking at the context, and sometimes put it as a reminder in my phone and look it up later..

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
A question, which sort of extends to the original question. Where do you guys and gals go if you don't know how to pronounce a word?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)