• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

When your teachers leave... (1 Viewer)

go-anna89

HSC
I have an incling that i have been dealt the short straw when the reliability of teachers is concerned. Its just that leading up to the preliminaries, a majority of my teachers simply disappeared and we were left to teach ourselves because the casuals at our school are hardly reliable.

I lost my PDHPE teacher, (whom was the best teacher i have had throughout my whole schooling life) to the Board of Studies as a consultant.
My Religion teacher literally vanished of the face of the earth - knowbody including the principal knows where she is.
My Chemistry teacher went on compassionate leave
My English advanced and Extension teacher became (officially) the Deputy of our school so out of five lessons per week, we saw him for three.
The Maths teachers has a new baby
And finally my Biology teacher is on leave because her daughter is currently doing her HSC and wants to support her.

I mean could i have any worse luck? I am really sick of going to school to just have frees all day and then going home only to teach myself the stuff that i should've learnt at school.
I go to a Selective/Community school so you'd think that that would 'entice' teachers, yet i suppose you could easily guess why they don't all come in their thousands because honestly "its the place to be"...we have an unfortunate stigma attatched to out school name, which may i add is highly untrue.

I am hoping that the teachers will treat us with a bit more respect in year twelve and actually turn up to class seeings as we have to...but i was wondering if anybody else was in the same boat and what i could do to build up my lagging enthusiasm about going back?

And does anybody think that changing schools is an unwise option this late in my schooling career?

Thanks heaps

Zephyrio

HSC
Well, that's not an easy question to answer.

There would always be the option of asking the principal for you to change classes, right?

Can I ask which school you go to?

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Wow...that sucks. :(

Is this the same for every other class at your school? If not, just ask to change classes, seeing that you'd not cope as well without a teacher. But if this is the same for everyone, and if you know another school with more responsible teachers, then by all means, change the school :)

anniea89

HSC
My Chem teacher left our school in the 5th week of Term 3. He was one the best teachers I had.

vizman

HSC
we've lost quite a few quality teachers in the past two years, it really sucks

j-e-s-1

HSC
i know how you feel.. :-( i lost my chem teacher in week two of term one.. as he left on stress leave.. so for the next to terms i had substitute. which where just as unreliable as your's sound.. but the problem with my school is even though its a private school its in a rural area.. so the year 12 chem teacher now teachers us too.. but out lesions overlap all the time!! so where always in the library..

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Moving schools this late mightn't be good imho because the other schools may not have the same subjects that you've currently got so it'd be a bit tough, however, you might want to talk with your year coordinator first since they'd obviously know a lot more about you and your situation.

Btw, all the best for you.

go-anna89

HSC
Hey, well thanks firstly for your advice - i realised that there are probably other people who have lost their teachers throughout the years, I'm just really hoping they're not going to do it as much if they have year 12 classes.
Btw I go to Macquarie Fields high school - its probably the worst ranked selective school in NSW - but oh well i like the place and really don't want to have to consider changing.
And i suppose that's why we don't have an influx of teachers wanting to teach there.... they're all too scared!!! hahaha... Pity its not really our school or the students that cause all the disruptions and news headlines.

I'm really hoping that some of the teachers will return, they've simply gone on leave but then they can always decide not to return.... Grrrrr....

Ah well i will just have to live through another really confusing year and then thats it for me

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
omg i was wondering why the scenario sounded so familiar, i was just thinking, hang on a second my religion teacher vanished, and my english adv/ext teacher is deputy, and i heard that clatty has vanished
and i said hang on don't I go to a selective/community skool?
and then i saw that it was none other than ANNA!!!
lol
hang on but didn't magriplis sacrifice his 06 yr 12s for us, and so we have normal periods with him, and we have mckenzie for religion now so thats ok. plus from my experience of clatty she's useless anyway i rekn any sub would be better than her =P

i don't think you should change skools, for starters the other selective skools won't accept you ( or at least hurlstone doesn't) and no point going to another school cos you don't know how they'll scale, but i rekn our school will do ok, and being yr 12s now i'm pretty sure we'll get priority...i hope.
or yeah go wait for mrs kidd to come back ( hey she's on leave too wtf!) or just go see seddy then and ask to change classes cos im not having any issues with teachers, but then again i do different subjects to you... you'll work something out! =D

Last edited:

go-anna89

HSC
Hahaha.....Neha it is true that Magrippy did choose our class over the current yr 12 but i think it is becuase he has so many preoccupations that would've kept him too busy for that class. So he does have the option to screw around with us.....but i dunno he is a genuinely nice & great teacher, I've never had a teacher who has taught me as much as him.....excpet Gooch.

Yeah about Religion, isnt it funny our class (without a teacher) did better in the prelims than the class with a teacher!
Even more ironic is that the subjects i did have teachers for were the ones i failed!! I was crapping myself about the subjects that i didnt learn anything in.

I really hope that they have sorted everything out now....especially with all of the classes reshuffling anyhoo if i get crap results i will just take a two year gap year and go to uni as a mature aged student.....Ahh the beauty og being an old girl!!

dorablogz

HSC
ahhh that would have been horrible! yes i know how you feel. ok mine was quite as extreme but yes it does suk when the best teacher you have ever had (one that can finally get through to you) announces shes leaving a week before the prelim exams! :mad1: oh dear it was awful! now my new teacher just wants to talk the whole time and not teach! i mean c'mon! does anybody out there realise that we are now in the HSC, and are in need of some top of the range teachers!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)