Where are the newies?? (1 Viewer)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Weisy

woohoo!
and while everyone is busy (with singing and producing) ... ill be sitting back and relaxing ...:p
ill be the critic ...:)

kini mini

HSC
Re: Re: A song for entrance

ok...much of this has 'leaning', 'philosophy' and 'literature' connotations, but literally...

may Sydney Grammar school flourish
may the teachers and the boys, having been overseen, fourish
always may praise be to the lord.
After all that talk about the sincerity of spirit of Latin lyrics I find I've been singing that twaddle for 6 years ;). Thanks Weisy!

Thanks for the secrets, I'm going to start a few more threads in the French Forum :D

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Re: Re: Re: A song for entrance

Originally posted by kini mini

After all that talk about the sincerity of spirit of Latin lyrics I find I've been singing that twaddle for 6 years ;)
well, it makes you wonder why they're in Latin...there must be some reason...:D

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Re: Re: Re: A song for entrance

After all that talk about the sincerity of spirit of Latin lyrics I find I've been singing that twaddle for 6 years ;). Thanks Weisy!

Thanks for the secrets, I'm going to start a few more threads in the French Forum :D
a song in latin ... is more like a strange religious chant ...:D

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
just out of curiosity...anyone else got a latin school song?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
surge falco signifer ...
thats the first line of my school song ... :)

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
arg...where's my dictionary?

something about...sickles and constellations? :p

Milly

Here's my attempt:

Uh... arise, moon and star(s) (generalising singular?)

I think I've been away from Latin for too long.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
*wonders if the post above was just another meaningless one to add to the other 1400....:p*

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
*wonders if the post above was just another meaningless one to add to the other 1400....:p*
most definitely not, how dare you accuse me :p
i was actually being serious, what were you people trying to translate back there ...

sdpy

You really *are* all mad in this forum, eh?? I quite like the sneaky plan to attract new members, though.
Once again is there anyone doing latin 2003? or are you all already finished??

Where does the poet live? The poet lives in his country house. Why is the daughter adorning the table with roses? The farmer is hastening to his daughter's country house with spears. O! the queen is on the island!

Oh, that made me laugh...
Did anyone else do ECCE ROMANI?
or what was that other textbook?

Did you see the great clouds of smoke in the air, or feel the trembling of the earth beneath your feet, father?

Yes indeed. I did see the great clouds of smoke in the air and I felt the trembling of the earth beneeath my feet. Did you see that large black cloud in the sky?

Yes, i saw that large black cloud...
bla bla bla...

:eek:

Milly

Re: ...

Originally posted by sdpy
Did anyone else do ECCE ROMANI?
or what was that other textbook?
[/B]
We did good old Paterson and McNaughton, a little orange book written before WW1 for all those little Scottish schoolboys whose Latin teacher would cane them if they forgot how to decline "mensa"... we were one of the last grades in our school to use that book, I think our Latin department (can we call it a department now Weisy?) has switched to Oxford or Cambridge or something.

Oh, I miss Latin now!! O me miseram!

kini mini

HSC
Re: Re: ...

Originally posted by Milly

We did good old Paterson and McNaughton, a little orange book written before WW1 for all those little Scottish schoolboys whose Latin teacher would cane them if they forgot how to decline "mensa"... we were one of the last grades in our school to use that book, I think our Latin department (can we call it a department now Weisy?) has switched to Oxford or Cambridge or something.

Oh, I miss Latin now!! O me miseram!
I did Pat & Mac, 37 chapters in year 7 :p. It put me off Latin for life :d. Even Grammar has changed to the Oxford book now btw.

I thought the expression was "O me miserum", but what would I know...it's probably the feminine.

Anyway, coming to the real point of this post ;), I need some more French mods to give the forum the impression of activity. Not that it;s working here, but it's something :D.

Milly

Re: Re: Re: ...

I thought the expression was "O me miserum", but what would I know...it's probably the feminine.
Actually, I happen to be female :p

kini mini

HSC
Re: Re: Re: Re: ...

Originally posted by Milly

Actually, I happen to be female :p
I know, that's what I meant - I would only have bothered learning the masculine in year 7 and I was sure you would get your expressions of despair right ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)