Where are you up to? (1 Viewer)

ButterflyFish

HSC
Its nearly the end of NSW holdidays...
Where are you up to?

Ive done just over 5000 words, (out of an 8000 word story). i havent started editing yet..
Is that really behind? I dont know if I can finish it in time!

So where is everyone else up to?

caelestis_draco

HSC
Finished the second draft (8300 words- I'm torn between loving it and hating it. I feel bipolar). I'm going to have to re-edit it again sometime next week:mad1:

As for the reflection statement, I'm starting that today or tomorrow. Not to freak you out or anything, but I'd get a move on if I were you. With the trials and all that you're not going to have very much time.

Emph

HSC
Finished 3rd draft of MW... its sitting at about 7400 words so I have a bit to play around with

Most of the way through writing Report to be handed in August 16th

Preparing for Viva Voce which is in week 2

Thinking about writing the Reflection Statement

Hermzie

rarrrrrrrrr
HSC
I'm stuck on my 9th draft (we we expected to have a certain number of words by different dates so we finished our first draft in April). I have around 7000 words and it'll probably dance around that number.

Editing is becoming a pain in the ass and I'm trying hard not to please everyone who reads my majorwork. Am currently preparing for the report which is due first day back (eek!).

HinikuTheNinja

one helluva naughty ninja
HSC
I'm halfway through writing my third draft, just waiting for my dad to give me back the singular hard copy I had which had all my scribblings on it... Hurry up and read it, dammit! *shakes a fist at him*

I'm currently writing the first draft of my Reflection, whic was due last day before the holidays... I was meant to email it to my teacher, but never got around to it. ^_^; Not my fault. Entirely...

kisschasysunday

HSC
I'm at 8100 words, should be editing but am stuck doing stupid stupid Report. We did Viva Voce last term sometimes, and I've started my Reflection Statement. I'd try to get a hard day's work done on your story, writing the Report or Reflection Statement would be difficult without a completed work.

ButterflyFish

HSC
No not stressing me out at all!
great
my teacher says im doing fine...
9th draft?
wow...

but mine doesnt need that much editing, i dont put it in unless im entirely happy with it so...
it'll be ok, and the reflection statement sounds easy. :)

Trillium

HSC
I'm on my seventh draft... but then, none of the other drafts got past about 2000 words, and this ones only at 1700, so... we'll see.

Trillium

HSC
ButterflyFish, i am indeed doing a short story.
*thinks*
*dies*
I should probably write a bit more on that. Glad it makes you fell better though :)

blamethesystem

alpha and omega
HSC
im sitting on about 4500 words and am utterly stuck, and i hate a massive chunk of it for being to cliched. im struggling to write the report without having done the actual MW
everyone who reads it is like 'its good.. but i dont get it' problem is im struggling to make it mean something too
grrr
sick of writing, i hate pressure, but it does make me work *sighs*
does that make you feel better?:p

HSC
N/A
Something I feel about writing is that "writing for other people" or "writing a story with the intention of doing ___" and "writing it to mean something" is fine as a starting block, but at a certain point you really just have to stop writing for this or for that, and just write the darn story :p

From critiquing quite a few EE2 MW's and various creative writing pieces, I can always tell the stories where the author let it flow and build organically, and the ones that literally "constructed" their works with a certain goal in mind. Now, this isn't to say that structuralism or post structuralism or any sort of "chunky" story format is instantly bad just because it is, but when you start worrying too much about "I have to get my meaning across" and "I want to delve into this aspect of blahblahblahism" is suicide. It's like trying to put a cast-iron roof on a house that basically has no foundations.

Basic fundamental things like plot, tone and flow are your best friends. DO NOT FORGET THESE. If they don't work, you can bet your boots that any sort of "grand themes" and "grand meanings" you had aren't going to work because they're built on air. And air is boring, as a sustained piece :p Sometimes, taking the work too seriously can be your downfall. All good works are built on good stories.

blamethesystem said:
i hate a massive chunk of it for being to cliched. im struggling to write the report without having done the actual MW
everyone who reads it is like 'its good.. but i dont get it' problem is im struggling to make it mean something too
*I had a big cliche bit in my MW at some point too (actually that's a lie, I didn't. But I did have a massive section that looked like it should be something from DANCE Australia, so I had a hunch it might not be appropriate :p). If the direction is totally wrong, pintsy little edits aren't going to fix it. Cut it off at the root! Copy and paste it to another file. Name it something random so it gets lost and you can never find it again. Then, have a READ (yes, reading your work is good to keep everything in perspective) of your work up to that point, and write WHAT FEELS NATURAL. Listen to your gut instinct. Your personal style and personal taste got you this far - if you continue listening to it, it will tell you where to go next. :uhhuh:

*When you say not finished, do you mean "haven't hit the workcount yet" or "I actually don't think this is anything like the final product I'm aiming for"? If the earlier, pretend you have finished. For the latter, I'd work with what you have (you don't have to justify what you've done, you're just analysing and whatnot. Pretend someone else wrote it, if it helps :p).

* Little Seeds

This is something I got caught up on in my own major work. So the story goes - YOU HAVE A THEME. Your story has MEANING! Dun dun duun! etc etc. If you have been writing in "chunks" all year then chances are you have developments in one section that kinda come out of the blue (ie when the next chunk starts). The solution to this is relatively easy - sit yourself down and write a chronological plot list. If it helps, write a second list on the side that talks about what the audience is supposed to think at which point - ie "everything is fine now"/ "oh no, main character is in trouble!"/"audience is given clues about a hidden past"/"audience thinks that jacktheripper is a murderer"/"audience finds out that jacktheripper is in fact a dog looking for a home in the local newspaper" etc etc.

Get a grip on what's happening. Then, plant the 'little seeds' to make sure that everything actually works as a whole. Without focussing to hard on any grand theme of meaing you have in your MW, it will only really come across if the entire work reinforces it and builds up to it in some way. Think about Aesop's Fables, if you will.

Last edited:

ButterflyFish

HSC
haha sorry trillium...
I hope it all works out for you as im sure it will. :)

thanks for the wisdom glitterfairy, definately helpful.
My problem was not trying to create a greater meaning, but creating a character and plot to go with it.

Trillium

HSC
Butterflyfish, im in the same boat as you if slightly lagging.
I have a concept. It's huge and grand and floating around in my head refusing to be tied down to characters and plot.
On the upside, 1900 words! :ninja: meep

blamethesystem

alpha and omega
HSC
wow thanks heaps glitterfairy :)
gotta get this damn thing done, but now trials are in the way!
time is running oooout
but youre advice is helpin a lot.
you wanna read mine and then offer criticisms? i need to know if its too angsty. and non-sense-making

Hermzie

rarrrrrrrrr
HSC
FINISHED THE STORY! (final draft, no more edits needed, it's ready to go) But now I have to do the Reflection Statement:(

I weep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)