Where can I get some timber for woodworking? (1 Viewer)

timothytt547

HSC
Upfront: I may not reply as I don't check up very often here, don't take it the wrong way. Every response I get will be appreciated.

My major work is coming up, and I need to start planning where to get my timber from. My teacher advised me not to do coffee tables, and to go with cabinets. My crude plan is a square cabinet with 4 drawers, about waist height or lower. Somewhere around thigh height. Then hope that'll get decent score.

I'm thinking of using some darker coloured timber (in contrast with radiata pine, creamy colour), they'll have to be harder for the face of the drawers. Any suggestions on what type of timber I should use? I don't have a very big budget, so I can't use any expensive hardwood.

And secondly, where do I get it? Should I look around Bunnings or Mitre10, do they cut in-store so my parents' little sedan can fit the timber? Or should I start the other way around, look around those stores, then choose the type of timber? Sorry for so many questions. I guess I'm jittery.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Hey Welcome to BoS :D

I used to do wood work in year 9 and 10 and enjoyed it heaps

As for all your questions in regards to your major work (i.e. Where to buy the wood, what type of timber you should use, etc.) I think you'd be better off posting in the Industrial Technology section of the forums

Here's a link if you have any difficulty navigating it on the website: http://community.boredofstudies.org/64/industrial-technology/

Other than that I hope this helps and I wish you all the best with you project :D

cub3root

fight another day
HSC
bunnings and hire a ute (iirc like $20 or something)

AirbusA380

HSC
N/A
It all depends how complicated you want to get in terms of construction and joinery techniques. It also depends on your knowledge of woodworking and the equipment your school has. Bunnings is only really good for plywood (and even then its not really furniture grade ply), they do sell pine that they can cut to size but its not great either. Basically, what skills and knowledge do you have so far? This is probably your best guide as to the type of timber and construction techniques you should use (in my opinion). If you dont know much, just start off with some ply or pine, learn the basics and see how you go. Easier to work with then a hardwood and its often pre-milled so all your teacher has to do is cut to size.

enoilgam

HSC
Bunnings would probably be the easiest, but shop around and look at some of the trade stores/warehouses because you might be able to buy the timber you are looking for at a cheaper price.

Machiavelli1

HSC
Bunnings would probably be the easiest, but shop around and look at some of the trade stores/warehouses because you might be able to buy the timber you are looking for at a cheaper price.
Yeah look at the smaller businesses cause they sometimes have items at a lower cost. Also once you find them, get a quote on it or something and then show it to the bunnings ppl, in their ads they beat it by 5% or something.

In these types of situations i thought the school provides materials?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)