• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Where do you collect your data/economic commentary from? (1 Viewer)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Considering the emphasis of using empirical data to justify arguments in Economics, where are you collecting your data and economic commentary from?

Last edited:

deswa1

HSC
Re: Where do you collect your data from?

Umm, textbooks, newspapers, the internet. Anywhere pretty much. If I hear something good, I'll remember it.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Any websites in particular?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

ABS for lyf~?

deswa1

HSC

Any websites in particular?
Not really tbh. The news websites often have some decent things (like SMH, AFR etc.).The RBA has some good things but I hate the layout of ABS so I never use that. The economist has interesting reads. My dad though sends me these reports that he gets at work from analysts from Citibank etc. and they often have some nice things.

theind1996

HSC
N/A

Not really tbh. The news websites often have some decent things (like SMH, AFR etc.).The RBA has some good things but I hate the layout of ABS so I never use that. The economist has interesting reads. My dad though sends me these reports that he gets at work from analysts from Citibank etc. and they often have some nice things.
Does your dad work in finance/as a financial analyst? Because my dad can probably get these things too... if I ask him haha.

I don't really collect much economic data as of yet, since it's not really a ncessity in Year 11 - but the data that I have found has been from:

- ABS
- Other websites such as those from Japan (when comparing economic data for Australia and Japan).
- Tobacco in Australia website when I was writing an essay discussing the price elasticity of different products.

I don't read 'The economist' or newspapers (at least anything economic) - I should get into reading them.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Does your dad work in finance/as a financial analyst? Because my dad can probably get these things too... if I ask him haha.

I don't really collect much economic data as of yet, since it's not really a ncessity in Year 11 - but the data that I have found has been from:

- ABS
- Other websites such as those from Japan (when comparing economic data for Australia and Japan).
- Tobacco in Australia website when I was writing an essay discussing the price elasticity of different products.

I don't read 'The economist' or newspapers (at least anything economic) - I should get into reading them.
The Economist has a lot of content on international affairs which isn't really economic in nature. Keep that in mind.

deswa1

HSC

- ABS

Nah, he's a finance manager so he's not really directly involved in that stuff but he gets them anyway which is useful.

The Economist has a lot of content on international affairs which isn't really economic in nature. Keep that in mind.
Yeah this. Often the economist doesn't have those one line stats or whatever that you can throw into an essay (especially since it rarely has anything on Australia) but it is very useful to get an appreciation of global economic forces.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Yeah this. Often the economist doesn't have those one line stats or whatever that you can throw into an essay (especially since it rarely has anything on Australia) but it is very useful to get an appreciation of global economic forces.
The Economist/EIU should have statistics on their website, you just need to delve a bit deeper.

In terms of economic commentary, it's a great source to use considering they are usually comprehensive with their analysis. It's difficult not to find some good tidbits of information to use in your essays, especially for the part regarding The Global Economy.

Last edited:

theind1996

HSC
N/A
What Year 12 topic/s require heaps of stats? And what topic/s focus on the international economy too (and consequently require international stats)?

deswa1

HSC
What Year 12 topic/s require heaps of stats? And what topic/s focus on the international economy too (and consequently require international stats)?
Depends realistically on how high you are aiming. For a decent performance, you'd want to know current indicators in Aust and trends such as eco growth, unemployment, CAD etc. To penetrate very high B6, you want stats for everything literally. The first topic is called The Global Economy and that is obviously focussed on international factors but its nice to look at the course holistically and not just four seperate topics.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Depends realistically on how high you are aiming. For a decent performance, you'd want to know current indicators in Aust and trends such as eco growth, unemployment, CAD etc. To penetrate very high B6, you want stats for everything literally. The first topic is called The Global Economy and that is obviously focussed on international factors but its nice to look at the course holistically and not just four seperate topics.
Hmm - well I wouldn't mind that high band 6 :p, so how regularly/frequently would you recommend that one collects stats? And how many different stats would you have for all of Yr 12? Inflation rate, interest rate, CAD etc - ~50?

chrisman9519

HSC
i usually read books about economics, but none have been about australia. No reallly good economics books are about Australia...
i read the economist, its rly good, although it has a lot on international events and politics, they usually highlight something economically relevant.
the RBA statistics section is good, u should check out the chart pack.
also, the economist did a special report on australia about a year ago, look around their website to find it, it really is a great read, very informative and relevant.

In my opinion, newspapers such as the AFR are underrated and difficult to read because they are a newspaper. I think there are some genuinely brilliant articles in there that are relevant to students, but because its in the broadsheet format, I don't read it as often as I would like. It's disappointing :(

2 books i highly recommend:

The return of depression economics by Paul Krugman, and Balance sheet recession by Richard Koo

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Ross Gittins from SMH just for reading and leisure.

Currently reading book called 'Bad Samaritans' by economist Ha-Joon-Chang which talks about globlization and also some uni books o_O?

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
SMH/AFR usually

Leading edge has a page of up-to-date statistics which is also quite helpful. http://leadingedge.com.au/statistics/

I find the economist is better for my case study (China), as there's not too much stuff on Australia in it.

HSC
Re: The p00n thread

Bloomberg + The Economist + AFR (whenever I get my hands on it) combination is the best

deswa1

HSC
Re: The p00n thread

Bloomberg + The Economist + AFR (whenever I get my hands on it) is the best
Protip: Go to your local library and ask them if they can give you all of their newspapers before they throw them out. I don't collect them any more because it takes too long but until around July, I'd go to the library every month and just get the previous months Herald, Australian and Fin Review and then just scan them for any dazzling economics stats or examples or whatever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)