Where do you Work? (Employment Advice Line) (1 Viewer)

santaslayer

HSC
Re: Employment Advice Line

I've just been employed by Telstra to work in one of their Telstra Shops as Retail Sales officer. Haven't started though. :p

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC

Ive worked at Maccas (for a year, ew), some random gourmet pizza place (making pizzas), at cotton on (as a christmas casual).

im hoping to get this job as a receptionist for a Ray White saturdays only :D:D:D:D saturdays only job being my ideal job right now

and i might be working at DJs as a Christmas Casual. Dont know..

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC

I was previously a pool lifeguard...noting that it's not on the list =P

(I'm not in that job anymore).

Aryanbeauty

HSC

I'm wondering how taxes are deducted? I got paid about $ 18 per hour as nightfill at Big W and how many % will be deducted as taxes? I am Casual and I work mostly from 7 pm to Midnight and sometime up to 1 or 2 am. Am I entitled some extra $$ by working in such late night shifts? Please enlighten me :p

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC

There's an withholding tax chart published by the ATO that tells employers how much to deduct based on your fortnightly pay. I have one lying around at home somewhere.

And yes, you're entitled to extra pay working late night shifts. Check your EBA. For Safeway/Woolies, there's an extra loading for working past 10pm - don't remember how much but it's in the lines of 50%. Woolies, so far, are pretty good payers so it should already be taken into account.

Seeing as you're probably 19 or 20, $18/hour for nightfill sounds like they've put that loading on for you.

Again, check your EBA.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC

i dont work there anymore, but i know enough about the reject shop to answer any queries.
*sigh* i'm currently looking for work atm. i've applied to lots of places, just waiting for that blissful call "interview" ahhh... hey i did all the online application shiz for colesmyer...but would it hurt to actually rock up to my local coles with my resume, you know go in and actually talk to someone? or wouldnt they want that.

"Chubby"

HSC

Aryanbeauty said:
I'm wondering how taxes are deducted? I got paid about $ 18 per hour as nightfill at Big W and how many % will be deducted as taxes? I am Casual and I work mostly from 7 pm to Midnight and sometime up to 1 or 2 am. Am I entitled some extra $$ by working in such late night shifts? Please enlighten me :p

when i used to work at big w, i remember my line manager saying its about $30 hr if u work after 12 midnight.

Aryanbeauty

HSC

I got the pay rates sheet which I don't understand at the moment. hourly rate is 17.61, overtime 1.5 first is $ 25.0005, overtime doubletime is $ 32.29 ; 25% loading is 21.28, 30% loading is $ 22.02. What is the meaning of these overtime first, overtime doubletime and loading please. :p

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC

question: i applied online for woolies about maybe a week ago (less even) and i wanted to look up the job i applied for again so i could check the closing date for application...i know i got in in the right time frame, i just forgot the date and wanted to know...but even after i entered exactly the same search info they said there were no jobs matching my criteria - does this mean that they have filled the position i applied for and just havent told me?

Aryanbeauty

HSC

it will simply disappear if it already reached the closing date. You can look again using your browser History on internet explorer but it will say its no longer available or something like that. I think you'll get an email from them in about a week or so from the closing date.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC

^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
question: i applied online for woolies about maybe a week ago (less even) and i wanted to look up the job i applied for again so i could check the closing date for application...i know i got in in the right time frame, i just forgot the date and wanted to know...but even after i entered exactly the same search info they said there were no jobs matching my criteria - does this mean that they have filled the position i applied for and just havent told me?
They take it off usually during the interview process. Well, that's what it was for me. They called me 2 days after the close date and the ad removed a few days after.

They shoudl call you soon if they want you in for a group interview and most people do get through to the group interview stage if you fulfilled criteria (liek citizenship and age etc).

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC

I don't know if we're still using the list in the first post, but if we are feel free to add me - I work at Greater Union Cinemas.

HSC

^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
hey i did all the online application shiz for colesmyer...but would it hurt to actually rock up to my local coles with my resume, you know go in and actually talk to someone? or wouldnt they want that.
From personal experience, I wouldn't recommend it. I went in to my local coles with a resume and got my head bitten off. They sound pretty strict on their "online application" policy.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC

babikakez said:
From personal experience, I wouldn't recommend it. I went in to my local coles with a resume and got my head bitten off. They sound pretty strict on their "online application" policy.
Is crazy if they're acting like that to potential employees; ultimately, they want to have their candidate pool as large as possible. Further, you're a (potential) customer, and shouldn't have your head bitten off under any (reasonable) circumstances. You were probably dealing with someone who wasn't quite as informed as they should have been, but I'd be writing a complaint to head office regarding how it was dealt with, and remind them they're discriminating against those without internet facilities, and in turn on age and socioeconomic basis, which are legal offences.

You might even get a Coles gift voucher out of it! ;)

...Though, come to think of it, I don't know that I'd want to work under/with people who'd bite my head off for something so little.

ChrissyGirl2007

Vivimus Vivamus
HSC

i work at KFC, if your gonna add me to the list. i also have done a few weeks work experience at IGA and ive also got about 5 friends who work thier so i know heaps.

dodgyfilokid

HSC

i work at kmart....did two weeks at citybeach parra but didnt like it and well didnt bother ringin up for more shifts.....

btw aryanbeauty..overtime first means you get paid 1.5times your normal pay and the same goes for overtime double (2 times normal pay)...you get them if you work on weekends..usually sundays altho not to sure about bigw eba...and the other two you mentioned are the ones that apply if you work past a certain time on normal paid days (monday to friday or saturday..again check your eba), and also go look up the tax sheets under the ato site...heres the link http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downloads/n1005-05-2007.pdf it would be wise to check the tax bigw takes out of your pay against the rates on the ato table..if theres a discrepancy ask your payroll office to clear it up

Last edited:

chemicalex

HSC

i just got a job at woolworths today
so i guess i know their "latest" techniques

Also Roger David

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)