where has chivalry gone? (1 Viewer)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
OZGIRL86 said:
So do I.

I don't think chivalry is gone, it just depends on the individual. Some people are just plain rude,others just can't be bothered, and then there are those who do make the effort.
that is not true. there is more than 3 types of guys.

you forgot guys who wont open doors because the girl wont gah gah over it. or because it is just plain rediculous. it is about gender issues in the end.

why dont girls open the door for us?

being chivalry does not make a difference...that goes with being nice as well...

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
OZGIRL86 said:
So do I.

I don't think chivalry is gone, it just depends on the individual. Some people are just plain rude,others just can't be bothered, and then there are those who do make the effort.

you forgot guys who wont open doors because the girl wont gah gah over it. or because it is just plain rediculous. it is about gender issues in the end.

being chivalry does not make a difference...that goes with being nice as well...

HSC
I still hold respect for women by opening doors, let them sit etc. but some think you're trying to get in their pants when its just being nice :(

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
I still hold respect for women by opening doors, let them sit etc. but some think you're trying to get in their pants when its just being nice
it think you hit the nail o nthe somewhat coroded head right there.

Chivilary has gone somewhat out the window, women nolonger want to be treated different just because they have a vagina, but it is important to treat them different to men as there are a few important differences, like they arent as physically strong so often i offer to carry her shit etc.

over time, or atleast for me Chivilary has been replaced with being polite, which means if i go through the door first, ihold it open for her to step through next, this has nothing to do with the girl being female, its about manners.
When ever i do omething that could be interpreted as chivilary it isnt really , i would probably do it for anyone else and its just common courtesy.

That said, gender equality and chivilary are 2 different things, if a girl wanted me to treat her all special i wouldnt do it because she was a lady, i would do it because she was afriend, or because she was my g/f and i loved her plain and simple, nothing to do with her gender at all but her relationship with me. I mostly dont do these things unless i think of it at the time, or i am at a formal social event cause when it comes down to it, no1 does it for me so to be equal i should just let the bitch open her own door, instead of implying that because she is female, she is inadequate to open the door

timtim

HSC
chivalry isn't gone, it's alive and very very well, people just aren't being chivalrous to you

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
loquasagacious said:
Personally I open/hold doors for everyone male or female.
Same - it's not chivalry, it's courtesy, which males and females should both show to each other. My mother always taught my brother and me that we need to open doors for "superiors" which we usually take to mean adults. But that doesn't mean that if a little kid is just behind me I won't open the door for them.

I think "Chivalry" is a frequently misused term. The problem is, a lot of boys in this day and age haven't been taught basic politeness. And, when you have to distinguish between many boys in your life, if one of them has a perceived "rare" quality, such as "chivalry", then he's more likely to get attention.

Having said that, I've probably perpetuated the problem because I usually judge that boys have matured sufficiently when they start opening doors for me and being all polite and stuff. But you could argue that most men are immature and won't understand "being polite" until they're grown-up.

I don't know what my stance is on "ladies first"...I've been exposed to it a few times but I've never gotten iffy about it. In fact, the fact that guys will do stuff like that for you is kind of empowering, that you know you can motivate them. Wow, an insight into my mind...scary...

kazan, I really feel sorry for you. But I reckon if anyone says something like that to you again, you should tell them that you hold doors open for both men and women. Because all people need to learn to help each other out, regardless of gender, and if we don't live together harmoniously we'll all be miserable.

davin

HSC
N/A
wrong_turn said:

next time someone says that, i propose the responce:
"if women wouldn't struggle so much during rape, we wouldn't have to hold you down"

teaches em a lesson

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Serius said:
it think you hit the nail o nthe somewhat coroded head right there.

Chivilary has gone somewhat out the window, women nolonger want to be treated different just because they have a vagina, but it is important to treat them different to men as there are a few important differences, like they arent as physically strong so often i offer to carry her shit etc.

over time, or atleast for me Chivilary has been replaced with being polite, which means if i go through the door first, ihold it open for her to step through next, this has nothing to do with the girl being female, its about manners.
When ever i do omething that could be interpreted as chivilary it isnt really , i would probably do it for anyone else and its just common courtesy.

That said, gender equality and chivilary are 2 different things, if a girl wanted me to treat her all special i wouldnt do it because she was a lady, i would do it because she was afriend, or because she was my g/f and i loved her plain and simple, nothing to do with her gender at all but her relationship with me. I mostly dont do these things unless i think of it at the time, or i am at a formal social event cause when it comes down to it, no1 does it for me so to be equal i should just let the bitch open her own door, instead of implying that because she is female, she is inadequate to open the door
imo, 100% truth

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Chivalry ha!

Rohypnol's where its at :p

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
choco said:
hey there,
where has male chivalry gone?...i mean girls will go gah gah over you if you show some,,,,so how come no one does?...
because you might go gah gah, but many others except guys to just do it and then just portray a figure of pure arrogance. Why would someone in their right mind do such a thing? girls instantly assume you're a creep and just pretending to do it to get in their pants

i do it all the time at work (pub) and it busy, and we'll be carrying kilos of glasses and we let people through and they still knock into you and keep walking. Out of the hundreds of times i've done it i have only EVER ONCE had a girl come up and say it was nice, and 95% of the rest of the time they assume that it's your job to open doors for them, or get out of their way. Their god-given right it isnt, and they then complain when they cant just walk right on through a packed crowd.

i'd just go with AsyLum, Rohypnol would work alot more

HSC
braad said:
because you might go gah gah, but many others except guys to just do it and then just portray a figure of pure arrogance. Why would someone in their right mind do such a thing? girls instantly assume you're a creep and just pretending to do it to get in their pants

i do it all the time at work (pub) and it busy, and we'll be carrying kilos of glasses and we let people through and they still knock into you and keep walking. Out of the hundreds of times i've done it i have only EVER ONCE had a girl come up and say it was nice, and 95% of the rest of the time they assume that it's your job to open doors for them, or get out of their way. Their god-given right it isnt, and they then complain when they cant just walk right on through a packed crowd.

i'd just go with AsyLum, Rohypnol would work alot more
yeh I always open the door for women first, let them sit first and that sort of thing and I get a wierd look when i tell them what i'm doing; thats why chivalry doesnt exist, women condemn it but at the same time demand it

olchik

HSC
What chivalry are you talking about? Unfortunately, they all disappeared long time ago:(

minushuman

tafe pride
HSC
olchik said:
What chivalry are you talking about? Unfortunately, they all disappeared long time ago:(
Chivalry isn't people in the same way that Asians aren't really people, please do not address them as such.

HSC
Casmira said:
yeh I always open the door for women first, let them sit first and that sort of thing and I get a wierd look when i tell them what i'm doing; thats why chivalry doesnt exist, women condemn it but at the same time demand it
Maybe they're just wondering why you're constantly wiggling your eyebrows at them you lecherous fiend!

Re the thread: I'm with the others, I hold doors open for everyone, and if someone, male or female, looks less able to stand on public transport, etc, I'll give them my seat. Thus far I've never had anyone throw my courtesy back in my face, and heads will roll if they ever do.

That said, I think to an extent the problem arises sometimes in the way that other people go about this. When I hold a door open for someone, I don't stand there with my hand on my hip and a cheesy grin like I just saved the world, and when I move for someone to sit down, I don't lurk around with some big shit eating grin like I expect sex due to my huge act of charity or something.

The instances where I've seen problems like this arise (And I'm not suggesting that everyone who has had this happen carries on like this, but perhaps it's part of what has given some people that perception), have been where the person makes a huge effort to let the other person know that they're doing them a huge favour, thinks it earns them the right to a conversation that the other person isn't interested in, and so on; and I agree, a big fuck you to everyone who thinks they're a hero for giving up a seat or holding open a door. It's not a stageshow, it's a basic gesture of decency and that's all it needs to be, there are no medals to be had here.

While I'm on a roll, I'd also question what chivalry means to people. Personally I see it as something a little more meaningful than basic courtesy. If you find no evidence of chivalry, either you're looking for the wrong things or you're looking in the wrong people.

HSC
neither do i have a big smile, or flutter my eyebrows; i just open it routinely and let them through and they give me dirties as they enter then i put on a "wtf?" face

flutter eyebrows is only used too pickup ladies, and its known to send them into a trance-like state!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)