Where is Atrium, Building 10, Broadway Campus ??? (1 Viewer)

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Originally posted by jase-REX
No download limit, unlike certain unis :p.
Yer they stressed that at BIT interviews...

*We have unlimited wireless access, unlike our friends from Kensington

andiman

the downside of wireless is that access is controlled by MAC address restrictions.

this means that they can log every packet that you send receive, and every site you go to.

its unlimited download, buuuut just remember that cos of the uts music pirates (who incidentally did none of their pirating using uts systems) the uni went super paranoid and implemented the equivalent of the great chinese firewall.

this has the effect of stopping all file sharing appz and some IM clients from operating properly.

although i am happy to note that i often get a higher throughput transfer of data on wireless than i do on the lab machines. (i suspect they've been networked and patched in such a way that the max. throughput possible to a lab computer is 10mbps)

fatmuscle

HSC
Originally posted by andiman
its unlimited download, buuuut just remember that cos of the uts music pirates (who incidentally did none of their pirating using uts systems) the uni went super paranoid and implemented the equivalent of the great chinese firewall.
maestro is the king!

JRasnier

have u ever tried Connecting to a ftp server using internet explorer, as it would be going through port 80?

andiman

Originally posted by JRasnier
have u ever tried Connecting to a ftp server using internet explorer, as it would be going through port 80?
ftp/ssh/pop3/sometimes imap/http/https are allowed

no VPN or serving from port 80 will get through the firewall unless that MAC/IP addy combo is on the firewall acl.

but you can't use file sharing even if you try any of the open ports. the firewall also filters by protocol and something else. its pretty locked down.

UTS has the highest bandwidth net connection in sydney i believe. we're part of the backbone of AARNET, and we server usyd/unsw internet services (incidentally combine the 3 uni's and uts has about 25-30% of the students, but we use around 60% of the bandwidth available to the 3 uni's. hehe)

UTS often get's DoS attacks. recently the uni was swamped offline for a few days near the end of last year.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
It wasn't mostly coz of them :p. They did it more coz of the Kazaa trial thing and so on...

IronMike

HSC
N/A
whats the use of unlimited download, if u cant get the kazaa crackin..arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrh....
but im sure sumone will discover a loophole..

JRasnier

i found one i found one, go and unplug the firewall, yeay problem solved lolz
unless it acts as the proxy too, then disable the firewall service...

T

tactic

Originally posted by IronMike
whats the use of unlimited download, if u cant get the kazaa crackin..arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrh....
but im sure sumone will discover a loophole..

when they do bj will hang you from the top floor of building 10.

basicly you have to get through two networks of security firstly, break through the FIT protection and then secondly break through ITD protection because FIT gets its b/w from ITD

i feel sorry for usyd ppl who are only allowed 2mb a day of download or some shit like that :)

fatmuscle

HSC
u can dl stuff off webstes

but that's about it. 'clips' like trailers etc...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)