• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

where to buy good computer system? (1 Viewer)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
A gig of ram is worthwhile IMO ;) It's something you may be taking from comp to comp anyway .. at least I know I do.. ram gets transplanted more often than HDs :)

I suppose what kind of games you'd be playing, and how much you care? Since I got a gfx card I can't actually play properly using the non-gfx carded computer o_O makes my eyes go all ~_~ but before I could just play and not care ;) A $200-$300 card for a nonhardcore holiday gamer is more than enough

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Dell is near pointless. If you know much about computers you are far better off building your own.

Some of the systems they build are jokes, they chuck a massive CPU on crappy everything else. This is to feed on peoples ignorance, people think the only thing that effects performance is the CPU.

Your far better off with a better built system, that is a decent balance of CPU, mobo and RAM (this is assuming your not too concerned with gaming, in which case your better off with a relatively low-end CPU and a fantastic video-card + plenty RAM).

Try and get heaps of RAM, 512 is bare minimum in any system, frankly I would say 1gig is what you want.

PCUser magazine build a $1000 box every issue of the magazine, basicaly the best damn box out there for performance, everything is rather well matched, just get it built and add on the monitor and such. For the love of god don't be scared of CRT's, you can get utterly massive ones for fairly cheap.

Also, http://www.tomshardware.com/ is one of the best places for comp reading material, very respected and very professional, a great place for research.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Bone577 said:
Dell is near pointless. If you know much about computers you are far better off building your own.

Some of the systems they build are jokes, they chuck a massive CPU on crappy everything else. This is to feed on peoples ignorance, people think the only thing that effects performance is the CPU.

Your far better off with a better built system, that is a decent balance of CPU, mobo and RAM (this is assuming your not too concerned with gaming, in which case your better off with a relatively low-end CPU and a fantastic video-card + plenty RAM).
Read the first post:
i have no clue on putting parts together and building my comp

Besides not everyone wan't to play high-end 3D games on their computer. the new intel integrated graphics is good enough for most basic things.

Bone577 said:
Try and get heaps of RAM, 512 is bare minimum in any system, frankly I would say 1gig is what you want.
True, but that is also expensive, i reckon just add more later on if needed

Bone577 said:
PCUser magazine build a $1000 box every issue of the magazine, basicaly the best damn box out there for performance, everything is rather well matched, just get it built and add on the monitor and such. For the love of god don't be scared of CRT's, you can get utterly massive ones for fairly cheap.
Once you have used a decent LCD monitor you will never go back. The text is much clearer and it is easier on your eyes. However, if you want to make a gaming system by all means save on LCD and put into graphics card.

Bone577 said:
Also, http://www.tomshardware.com/ is one of the best places for comp reading material, very respected and very professional, a great place for research.
lol, they are ok i guess, but in the past they have destroyed their credibility somewhat....

Bone577

HSC
N/A
jm1234567890 said:
Read the first post:
i have no clue on putting parts together and building my comp
You can get others to do it for you, and considering she is asking us about this i would say it wouldn't be too hard.

Besides not everyone wan't to play high-end 3D games on their computer. the new intel integrated graphics is good enough for most basic things.
Note what i said. "our far better off with a better built system, that is a decent balance of CPU, mobo and RAM (this is assuming your not too concerned with gaming, in which case your better off with a relatively low-end CPU and a fantastic video-card + plenty RAM)."

True, but that is also expensive, i reckon just add more later on if needed
RAM is the cheapest way to improve all round performance in a computer, and essential for almost any application ESPECIALY when using Windows. Pre-built comps are usually RAM deficient.

Once you have used a decent LCD monitor you will never go back. The text is much clearer and it is easier on your eyes. However, if you want to make a gaming system by all means save on LCD and put into graphics card.
LCD monitors have issues with different resolutions, ontop of that they leave trails. The only real advantage of LCD is they are small, use less electricity and don't hurt your eyes as easily. Besides that, CRT is clearer, sharper, better coloured... in fact all round image quality on a CRT is better for the same price.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Bone577 said:
RAM is the cheapest way to improve all round performance in a computer, and essential for almost any application ESPECIALY when using Windows. Pre-built comps are usually RAM deficient.
512 -> 1gig is around an extra $250 :s, that isn't cheap....

Bone577 said:
LCD monitors have issues with different resolutions, ontop of that they leave trails. The only real advantage of LCD is they are small, use less electricity and don't hurt your eyes as easily. Besides that, CRT is clearer, sharper, better coloured... in fact all round image quality on a CRT is better for the same price.
lol, this comes from someone who hasn't use one before...

Trust me, I was skepical too before. But it is worth the money everything on a CRT just looks blury now.

for your next upgrade go to a computer shop and use an LCD for a while and you will see.

It does blur a bit for moving images, but not enough to be of bother.
btw, i'm using a 16ms panel. 10 and 8ms panels will become mainstream in a year or so. However, a word document or a webpage isn't exactly a moving object....
I guess if your going to be watching alot of movies and playing alot of games mabye a CRT would be preferable....

fantasia

HSC
yeh i'm thinking either 17" LCD or 19" CRT..

yeh i will be playing some pretty hardcore games on the sytem, Doom 3 etc. But do you guys think 1gb of ram is necessary?

should i get amd athlon or p4?

other than that i have no idea about video cards, sound cards etc.

Bone577

HSC
N/A
jm1234567890 said:
It is better spent on RAM then on getting a higher-end processor. That is for pretty much everything bar archiving... or playing a realy CPU intensive game, maybe something with the Unreal engine, but even then i doubt it.

lol, this comes from someone who hasn't use one before...

Trust me, I was skepical too before. But it is worth the money everything on a CRT just looks blury now.

for your next upgrade go to a computer shop and use an LCD for a while and you will see.

It does blur a bit for moving images, but not enough to be of bother.
btw, i'm using a 16ms panel. 10 and 8ms panels will become mainstream in a year or so. However, a word document or a webpage isn't exactly a moving object....
I guess if your going to be watching alot of movies and playing alot of games mabye a CRT would be preferable....
I have used them before, and the so called "8ms" panels are still more along the lines of 25ms in real numbers, it is just that they get 8ms every now and then. I really don't like it.

shiny

The Shiny One
HSC
N/A
jm1234567890 said:
Generic DDRs are ~120, Geil branded ram at 400mhz are only $145. Forking out 145 on performance ram is very much worth it. Don't even bother considering higher speed ram. The performance increase is negligible.

fantasia said:
yeh i'm thinking either 17" LCD or 19" CRT..
Depends on your budget. You can get a 17" LCD at fluidtek from 400-500. 19" CRTs are relatively cheaper. If I were you, I'd get a flat 19 CRT.

I agree that pre-built systems are a joke. They either have pathetic amounts of ram or ridiculous modelled video cards. In fact, on Thursday I went to Dick Smith and picked up their catalogue. On the front page, there was a system so sad you could cry for 2 hours just looking at it. It said nothing about the CPU speed, the graphics card... nothing. It only showed the ram and something else -_-

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Bone577 said:
I have used them before, and the so called "8ms" panels are still more along the lines of 25ms in real numbers, it is just that they get 8ms every now and then. I really don't like it.
I know 8ms means 8ms minimum

but they are still better than all 25/16ms panels in comparison.

It all comes down to whether you watch alot of movies and play games on your computer.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
fantasia: if u playing games:p.. well u need a gaming system

X800XT or 6800GT (flashed to ultra)
1 gig ram.. no generic crap it crashes.. stuff like kingston, geil.. Corsair DDR500@ 2.5-4-4-8:p
SATA hard drive, 120gig+
CPU- go for A64 Socket 939 (not 754).. or P4
oh and good sound too.. audigy 2 ZS
LCD vs. CRT i think thats more a personal choice.. 'tis up to u

i think what i quoted might not be ideal, but hehe... if i had that much money to dosh it would be going into waterblocks, rads, and a XP-M cpu;)

in temrs of getting it built. if u get dell high end systems they tend to rather expensive, whereas their lower end systems seem to be alright in value

otherwise get someone to build it for you.. i think local puter shops charge 50 bucks to build/test..

otherwise do it yourself:)

Bone577

HSC
N/A
jm1234567890 said:
I know 8ms means 8ms minimum

but they are still better than all 25/16ms panels in comparison.

It all comes down to whether you watch alot of movies and play games on your computer.

True, i mean the number by itself is meaningless and your point that they are improving by leaps and bounds is correct.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
t-i-m-m-y said:
fantasia: if u playing games:p.. well u need a gaming system

X800XT or 6800GT (flashed to ultra)
1 gig ram.. no generic crap it crashes.. stuff like kingston, geil.. Corsair DDR500@ 2.5-4-4-8:p
SATA hard drive, 120gig+
CPU- go for A64 Socket 939 (not 754).. or P4
oh and good sound too.. audigy 2 ZS
LCD vs. CRT i think thats more a personal choice.. 'tis up to u

i think what i quoted might not be ideal, but hehe... if i had that much money to dosh it would be going into waterblocks, rads, and a XP-M cpu;)

in temrs of getting it built. if u get dell high end systems they tend to rather expensive, whereas their lower end systems seem to be alright in value

otherwise get someone to build it for you.. i think local puter shops charge 50 bucks to build/test..

otherwise do it yourself:)

i'm sure that will cost under $1500 :rolleyes:

shiny

The Shiny One
HSC
N/A
t-i-m-m-y, one of those video cards alone would cost 700 bucks. Please think realistically. That's half the cost of her goddamned machine!

Look, fantasia, even a Radeon 9600XT could handle Doom 3 very well. And guess what? It's 1/3 of the price of those high end useless gfx cards with a ton of frills.

I'd say 1 gig of ram is pretty good, just grab a Geil dual channel twin stick combo from fluidtek for 275 (2x512mb, 400mhz). Having low latency is great, but you seriously cannot tell the difference when you're doing stuff on the computer. Seeing numbers and stats is one thing, but feeling the performance increase is another. If you're going to blow $50 just so that your ram has 1 less latency on all aspects, don't bother.
Don't believe the hype of DDR2, or 533mhz ram. It's just plain stupid. You don't need the BLEEDING EDGE of computers. People with $3000 lying on the floor can spend a shitload of money on those expensive components. I'm sick of people recommending other people fancy schmancy stuff at high prices. It's like buying a top rig costing their life savings, only to waste it on checking email and chatting.
Basically fantasia, you don't need to buy one of those really really expensive video cards. Unless you have money of course.

If you have a look at the benchmarking for both the P4 and AMD64 speeds, the AMD systems are generally faster at gaming. It is recommended to get an AMD, as they are currently crushing Intel :p
For gaming, most of the tests don't even bother with the speeds of the CPUs. It all comes down to what video card they're using, but yeah, I'm getting an AMD one. As azn_boy said, there's a good CPU/Motherboard set at centrecom.com.au, AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (S939) $257.40 and Asus A8V Deluxe (VIA K8T800Pro/939) $212.30 . That's an exceptionally good price. Great motherboard too... just a bit ugly =/
Getting a socket 939 board is better because that's where AMD's future CPU lines lie. It will grow further in its series, so if you don't feel you are getting enough in a few years, AMD will have plenty of sk939 CPUs for you to buy :D

Getting a top gaming/DVD/music soundcard is not really important. If she wants to spend $165 on an Audigy 2 ZS just to experience Advanced EAX HD in games, then fine. Onboard sound is enough these days to compete with PCI soundcards. It's quite scary. I'm assuming onboard can go up to EAX 2. Which is still very good (considering I don't even know what mine is which=no EAX)

Get a roomy hard drive. They're dirt cheap. My advice, customise your own system. If you're lucky, you might find a nice case too.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
i just saw

256MB 9700 Pro “AGP” DVI VGA Card $125 “HOT”

is 9700 a good card? i havent heard people talk about it. they always recomment either a 9600 or 9800

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
SashatheMan said:
i just saw

256MB 9700 Pro “AGP” DVI VGA Card $125 “HOT”

is 9700 a good card? i havent heard people talk about it. they always recomment either a 9600 or 9800
I have a Radeon 9700 Pro - good enough for me at the moment (I bought it off ebay for $115)
Can handle Battlefield 2 on all Medium settings with 2x FSAA with smooth framerate.
It's a good card for around ~$120, but of course, if you have $270'ish to spend, go for a GeForce 6600 GT.

I bought a system off www.custo.com.au 2 months ago for $1499 (fantasia's budget):
Athlon 64 3500+ (socket 939)
Abit AV8 Motherboard (VIA K8T800 Pro)
1GB generic DDR PC3200 RAM
200GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 7200 RPM etc
Radeon 9550 256MB (upgraded to Radeon 9700 Pro for $115)
17" LCD
DVD burner
sound system etc

For that price, my system would beat the shit out of any Dell pre-built system

If anyone uses 3DMark05 - I got 2338 on 1024x768, No AA or AF

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Minai said:
For that price, my system would beat the shit out of any Dell pre-built system
I've been watching the dell site lately, and this is correct in my opinion.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
so is 9700 better or worse then 9600. it sounds like its worse , even though its number is highere

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)