Which book t use? (1 Viewer)

AFGHAN22

HSC
Hey guys

im just a bit ambivalent as to which textbook i should be using for 4 unit maths. i am currently using the fitzpatrick book which i find very easy and also the coroneos book which is more challeneging. However, everyone has been saying that the cambridge, terry lee book and the patel book are the books to go for if you want to succeed in the course as they provide the more challenging type of questions. Im very confused as to which book to use! there are so many out there an any suggestions would be very much appreciated!!!!!!!!!! thanks a lot

Riviet

HSC
N/A
The fitzpatrick one does have some harder questions near the end fo each excercise, has plenty of excercises for good practice.

The cambridge textbook has easy examples but much harder questions, so should only be used for more practice of questions.

I use the terry lee book for school, and it is not bad, has a variety of questions, quite a few harder type questions, and does have worked solutions. However, the worked solutions are not fully worked and can sometimes skip a few lines of working but is better than no worked solutions.

There are actually two patel books, one is the purple textbook and the other is the excel edition. The purple one mainly has questions for practice and only a few worked examples. However, the excel book has very well explained worked examples AND answers, but fewer questions for each section. This is also a good textbook for revision.

I don't have coroneos but I have heard that some of the questions are very challenging.

If you really want to do well in 4 unit maths, I suggest you get a hold of as many of these books as you can, so you get all the practice and experience with questions for a variety of sources.

I hope that helps. :)

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
I have: Cambrige by Arnold and Arnold
Advanced Mathematics 5th Edition by Tery Lee
Pheonix practice questions

The Terry Lee book, in my opinion, is the most complete, since it has many questions, much more than Cambridge. I used to only have the Cambride, and it was much harder to understand the concepts since the examples given are really simple, whereas the questions are difficult in comparision.

So I recomend you buy both Terry Lee and Cambridge since they would supplement each other well. Terry Lee with the extensive ammount of questions and worked solutions (which as Riv said aren't always complete, but good nevertheless) and Cambridge with the harder questions. Note that Terry Lee has hard questions too, but they come at the end of the sets.

Pheonix practice questions would be good before an exam.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
It doesn't matter which 4u textbook you use as long as you understand the content and practise a few harder questions from elsewhere.

VQ

HSC
I did it coz:

1. Scaling
2. Challange and fun of it
3. I LOVE MATHS
4. Nice teacher

Undertoad

HSC
I used fitzpatrick, excel, coroneos, patel and cambridge. They all have their good bits and bad bits so if you start a topic in one textbook and its too easy or the questions are weird then go to another one. The best thing is to do them all though, give you the most experience. Past papers are also great! But I suggest doing them after you have a fair idea of everything in a topic, then you really test yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)