Which car should I buy (1 Viewer)

synthesized

HSC
N/A
looking to get a new car, i will buy just about anything that can be legally driven in this country as long as it fits the following criteria:

- max price $13,000
- very fast acceleration and high torque
- all wheel drive, or otherwise handling/traction realistically good enough for the track
- is not expensive to maintain/repair
- built 1994 onwards

what cars are like this description???? so far i've looked at: wrx, celica gt4, lancer gsr, calibra turbo, but what else is there??

Last edited:
HSC
Lexus Soarer, V8 or turbo version.

Damn nice car, both speed wise and looks.

Can pick a used one up for around 10,000 to 11,000

blackkatz

HSC
Well, I dont live in Australia but...

I heard the Nissan Pulsar GTi is good, equipped with AWD and turbo fi im correct.

A Nissan Silvia (180SX/S13/S14)? They're old, but I reckon they would do a track job nicely given you can handle and maintain them properly.

But if you ant a new car: get a wrx.
Dunno bout the price but i reckon its humane enough for city driving and track use.

These are the cars I would get within your given range.

CieL

HSC
Sounds like you're unrestricted, right?

CieL

HSC
Oh right... didnt realise you were in SA...

But yeah, if you obtained your Ps in NSW afterrrr like what, June 05 or thereabouts? You have a condition in which you can't drive V8s and above, can't drive high performance V6s, can't drive turbocharged cars, cant drive supercharged cars... (did I leave anything out?)

Unless you appeal with valid reasons
eg. You live on a farm and you need a turbo diesel 4WD to get across your 50 acre land or whatever...

Cept cars like the Elise and Cappucino you can still drive under restrictions...

synthesized

HSC
N/A
CieL said:
Oh right... didnt realise you were in SA...

But yeah, if you obtained your Ps in NSW afterrrr like what, June 05 or thereabouts? You have a condition in which you can't drive V8s and above, can't drive high performance V6s, can't drive turbocharged cars, cant drive supercharged cars... (did I leave anything out?)

Unless you appeal with valid reasons
eg. You live on a farm and you need a turbo diesel 4WD to get across your 50 acre land or whatever...

Cept cars like the Elise and Cappucino you can still drive under restrictions...
wow stupid rules how else are you going to get practice with these cars if you can't drive them... besides, your driving skills increase at a faster rate when you own a vehicle that is more complicated to drive, compared to owning a simple little city runabout that you can get away with driving poorly for the rest of your life.

CieL

HSC
synthesized said:
wow stupid rules how else are you going to get practice with these cars if you can't drive them... besides, your driving skills increase at a faster rate when you own a vehicle that is more complicated to drive, compared to owning a simple little city runabout that you can get away with driving poorly for the rest of your life.
Well the restrictions are only for the duration of your provisional licence... so once you get off plates you can drive whatever the damn heck you want!

What do you mean, complicated to drive.... or driving poorly in a little city runabout...?

You're driving a car, not a semi-trailer....

Jiga

Yeah I dunno m8... a modern car like an SS is going to be less 'complicated' to drive then a 1980's Toyota Camry with no power steering or any other features to speak of apart from radio cassette.

The rules being a real biatch aside (Not that I could afford any of the cars listed), I can see why they have put them in place... I cant count the times where Ive done stupid things in my car which is only a little V6, you get away with for example flooring it around a corner because it doesnt have that much power. Put yourself in a big V8 and you do the same thing and you've wrapped yourself around a poll. I think the stupid part about it is having a total ban on like WRX's etc as well, because they are AWD so I personally at least think they would be more safer than most less powerful cars under accleration at least. But I spose they have to ban them all because it would be unfair on car manufacturers.

synthesized

HSC
N/A
ok complicated probably wasn't the right word, what i meant was if you have an unwiedly car you NEED to learn how to drive it properly - sure you might come close to having a crash the first few times but if you learn from you mistakes then you learn a lot more than someone who drives in a pedestrian fashion for the rest of his life.

also we probably have a different perspective on what it means to hammer your car. i'm not talking about hammering it through city streets, i'm referring to hammering it through hilly roads in the wilderness where there is only really your own life at risk. assuming this, then someone who spends 100 hours in a v8 racing through the mountain pass but driving sensibly on city streets becomes far less of a danger to other drivers than someone who spends 100 hours just driving on city streets, because one is FORCED to learn skills while the other does so at their own leisure. i know in reality this isn't true and some people will hammer their cars in urban areas. but as long as you put in the effort to learn then i really don't think it matters.

Jiga

also we probably have a different perspective on what it means to hammer your car. i'm not talking about hammering it through city streets, i'm referring to hammering it through hilly roads in the wilderness where there is only really your own life at risk. assuming this, then someone who spends 100 hours in a v8 racing through the mountain pass but driving sensibly on city streets becomes far less of a danger to other drivers than someone who spends 100 hours just driving on city streets, because one is FORCED to learn skills while the other does so at their own leisure. i know in reality this isn't true and some people will hammer their cars in urban areas. but as long as you put in the effort to learn then i really don't think it matters.
Yeah I can see where your coming from... like I always say to my mum that I recon I could handle situations on the road better then her cos I have pushed my car to its limits and know them and what to do, she does not (She is a VERY slow driver, painfull at times) - and being realistic, all most people ever do is drive normally, which they say means they have more 'experience' for emergency situations, but I disagree with because a monkey can honestly be trained to drive, its a whole new order of skills and expereince to react correctly in an emergency etc.

BUT I think it doesnt take a V8 to achieve this, like I kinda alluded to before, its more about pushing whatever car you have to its limits in a safe place, ideally a track, or in my car at 3am in the morning on a 3 lane road... so you have a good feel for the car and know its characterisitcs such as understeer etc.

PS. Today on my way to uni, 2 cop cars checkin speeds AND 3 RBTS (2 of which had the mobile truck thingy), the two on my side of the road pulled the the cars ahead of me in and I didnt. What I dont understand, is why are they doing it on a Wednesday at 10am!! Surely at like Friday at night or Saturday they would have more succes... maybe they were just making their presence known or somthing

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)