• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Which combination of subjects is better in trying to get a high ATAR? (1 Viewer)

shelbshoe

HSC
I was previously doing:
Standard eng
Adv maths (2U)
Bio
Chem
PDHPE
Legal

SORRY FORGOT TO ADD IN STUDIES OF RELIGION 1U! (which is compulsory at our school)

I recently changed... i dropped PDHPE and picked up extension 1 maths. I'm starting to regret this and want to change back to what I was previously doing but i'm still not too sure. I want to get an ATAR of at least 90 and i'd like to do animal or vet science.. which would be the better combination?

Btw i do equally well in maths and pdhpe.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Cl324

HSC
N/A
Change to adv eng ASAP & keep mx1
also you have to do 12 units in yr 11, do you currently do 11?

enoilgam

HSC
I was previously doing:
Standard eng
Adv maths (2U)
Bio
Chem
PDHPE
Legal

I recently changed... i dropped PDHPE and picked up extension 1 maths. I'm starting to regret this and want to change back to what I was previously doing but i'm still not too sure. I want to get an ATAR of at least 90 and i'd like to do animal or vet science.. which would be the better combination?

Btw i do equally well in maths and pdhpe.

Thank you!
First, do advanced english as standard aligns terribly. Other than that, pick subjects you enjoy and you are good at. By doing that, you are giving yourself the best possible chance to succeed.

jmadden

HSC
keep extension maths.
scales much better than PDHPE.
if you want to keep standard english and are still keen on social sciences, drop legal and pick up eco.
and pretty sure you need 12 units for preliminary.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
You can get ANY ATAR with your previous and current subject combinations! (Just depends on how well you do in your subjects)
Indeed, Extension 1 Mathematics has beneficial scaling but I'm hoping you chose it because you know you can do well in it not cause' of the scaling!
Maybe drop Legal Studies to keep PDHPE since you want to do health/science-related courses at university?

Doing Advanced English is also a wise option if you want to maximise your chances of a high ATAR!

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Please read that the choice is between MX1 and PDHPE. OP stated that he/she does equally well in it. So OP has a greater chance of attaining a high ATAR with MX1.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
keep extension maths.
scales much better than PDHPE.
if you want to keep standard english and are still keen on social sciences, drop legal and pick up eco.
and pretty sure you need 12 units for preliminary.
English is compulsory?
Also, why would she drop Legal Studies to pick up Economics? (Don't tell me because Economics scales higher)
I'm assuming she chose Legal Studies because she likes it and/or that she knows she will do well in it...

Examine

same
HSC
English is compulsory?
Also, why would she drop Legal Studies to pick up Economics? (Don't tell me because Economics scales higher)
I'm assuming she chose Legal Studies because she likes it and/or that she knows she will do well in it...
I think he said this for OP to balance out their ATAR.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I think he said this for OP to balance out their ATAR.
Hmm...

@OP:
Also, I'll tell you something that my maths teacher told me in our first MX1 lesson - "usually the dux of this school (Sydney Tech) only does 2U Maths"

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Please read that the choice is between MX1 and PDHPE. OP stated that he/she does equally well in it. So OP has a greater chance of attaining a high ATAR with MX1.
But I think OP also implies that they "regret" taking up mx1, possibly because they don't enjoy it as much as pdhpe which means that over the long term there is a risk that they lose motivation, something that doesn't happen if you pick up subjects you enjoy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)