Which degree is of more worth for quant analyst job? (1 Viewer)

Mr. Blonde

HSC
Which is of more worth if I want to get into a quant analyst type job?:

B. Economics (Econometrics / Finance) at UNSW
or a B. Science (Financial Maths and Stats / Pharmacology) at USyd

Does it even matter? I can't decide if I want to continue my Economics degree or change to science where I can still do the things I liked about the Economics degree, plus a Pharmacology major which widens my options and lets me indulge myself a little.

Affinity

HSC
You need a PhD in something quanty to do anything serious as a quant.

A good undergraduate background would be maths + computer science with some finance on the side.

That said, I think the demand for quants in the forseeable future will experience a decline, given that complex derivatives are not fashionable at the moment

Last edited:
HSC
Quants usually have a background in physics or mathematics rather than finance etc and yeah, you'd most likely need a PhD

ConanObrien

HSC
N/A
You should definitely do a B.Science (Honours) in mathematics. At USyd, you can still major in economics under the B.Science degree. Agree with Affinity that mathematics/computer science would be ideal for a quant.

You don't have to get a PhD to get a quant job. Here a few examples for Tudor Capital Australia (A highly regarded firm)

John Zhu - LinkedIn

http://www.careers.usyd.edu.au/students/handouts/ScienceModule22008.pdf

Page 6 - Guest Speaker

BeeCom

HSC
How much does an actuarial studies major/degree qualify you to become a quant analyst? As opposed to an applied maths or pure stats degree

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
You should definitely do a B.Science (Honours) in mathematics. At USyd, you can still major in economics under the B.Science degree. Agree with Affinity that mathematics/computer science would be ideal for a quant.

You don't have to get a PhD to get a quant job. Here a few examples for Tudor Capital Australia (A highly regarded firm)

John Zhu - LinkedIn

http://www.careers.usyd.edu.au/students/handouts/ScienceModule22008.pdf

Page 6 - Guest Speaker
Are you sure you can major in eco under science? I didn't think you could.

ConanObrien

HSC
N/A
Are you sure you can major in eco under science? I didn't think you could.
At USyd you can major in anything, as long as you have 1 major from science as well.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)