Which economics majors involve the most maths? (1 Viewer)

Equilibrium1

HSC
My favourite subjects in school are economics and maths (I do maths advanced and MXI). I attended the UNSW info day with some friends and read that the Economics degree has three majors (Economics, Financial Economics, Econometrics).

Considering these three majors only, which of them contains the most (and hardest) math work? I know that you can always do a major in Mathematics, Statistics etc... but what about these three majors on their own?

If you can please rate them, I would really appreciate it. Furthermore, I know that econometrics mainly involves statistical mathematics, but what about the other two majors? What kind of maths do they involve?

Thanks heaps
=)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
you didn't ask this question at info day... why?

Equilibrium1

HSC
I asked so many questions that I forgot to ask this one.
=/

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
econometrics probably has the most maths.

alex1992

HSC
The 'maths' in economics at uni is not so much maths, but more so statistics and probability. Basically, econometrics is all statistic and you will use related computer programs a lot. Economics is mostly theory with a some of statistics and regular maths, and Financial Economics is half way between these two.

The high school type maths in any economics major is not difficult at all, mostly 2 unit and some easier 3 unit topics, however, the statistics is what gets most people, so stick to an economics major (like i did) unless you really enjoy your statistics.

Uni statistics is mainly regression models. In your first semester you will study ECON1203 which will give you a taste of the statistics to come in an economics major, so i guess this will be a good indicator of what major you should take.

Cheers.

Equilibrium1

HSC
The 'maths' in economics at uni is not so much maths, but more so statistics and probability. Basically, econometrics is all statistic and you will use related computer programs a lot. Economics is mostly theory with a some of statistics and regular maths, and Financial Economics is half way between these two.

The high school type maths in any economics major is not difficult at all, mostly 2 unit and some easier 3 unit topics, however, the statistics is what gets most people, so stick to an economics major (like i did) unless you really enjoy your statistics.

Uni statistics is mainly regression models. In your first semester you will study ECON1203 which will give you a taste of the statistics to come in an economics major, so i guess this will be a good indicator of what major you should take.

Cheers.
Wow, thanks so much for your help mate ... *rep*
You really helped me out =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)