Which engineering course to choose :S (1 Viewer)

eez

HSC
N/A
Hi guys

I'm stuck.

Its the near the end of the year and i don't know what I want to be :confused:
I know one thing for sure, is that I wanna do an engineering course.
Either in, Mechanical/Mechatronics, Civil, or Chemical

I'm interested in all three pretty much equally :eek:

If anyone can give me any advice on the courses ie,
1) If many jobs available? (i hear for chemical engineering there arent many jobs around in sydney, is that true?)
2) Is the course at uni hard?
3) If its boring to you? (i know everyone has a different opinion here, but it would be nice to know)
4) Money, yup money is a small factor, i know since there all engineering courses starting salary for a graduate is ~35k?? or around that, though what job would possible have the big $$ in it? (yup i know a job should be chosen on what I'm interested in)

all I need is some insight on each course.
Only couse that looks appealing atm is the Flexible 1st year engineering course at sydney uni, Im cosidering this as a last option, if i cant make up my mind

Any help would be appreciated.
thanks in advance

theone123

blue essence
HSC
all of them are good in a way, but the thing is that you should go to the open days of each uni and attend the lectures for the above subjects, it will help you gain a first sight experience of the interested courses you are seeking and also help you decide on what you would really like to do in uni.

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
Yeah, this is another question which has been talked about for a while here. Just go to the Open Days and have ALL your questions answered, rather than one or two.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
well im doing mechatronics engineering at usyd and i will tell ya a lil about it

1. first of all, you shouldnt really pick the course ur going to be doing because of jobs... NO ONE knows what is going to happen or whats going to be in demand in 4 years time.

2. engineering is one of the toughest courses at ANY uni... our hours r ridicuosuly insane... its about 25 hours a week, while most of the other courses are bout 15-20 hours

3. mechatronics engineering so far has been pretty good. its a variety of programming, electrical systems, mechanics and the like. if you like computers/maths and physics and are interested in this type of robotics stuff, then mechatronics is a good idea

go to the open days. they will run through each course and its streams very very breifly, but you can always consult current students and lecturers during the open day

anyway, good luck :)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
tooheyz said:
2. engineering is one of the toughest courses at ANY uni... our hours r ridicuosuly insane... its about 25 hours a week, while most of the other courses are bout 15-20 hours
I agree 1000% with that!!! i think only pure science has more work load.

however, ppl doing double degrees with bludgy courses like commerce or arts have it a little easier since they can spread the engineering courses out over the years.

asdf

HSC
wats pure science? never heard of that before.

eez

HSC
N/A
yeh I intend to go to both open days, though it isnice hearing from ppl on the forum.

Lucky I asked, I had no idea that it was about 25 hours a week :confused: that like 5 days a week, or is it like 4 days with long hours? (or is it up 2 me)

thanks for the reply tooheyz.

Anyone else looking to contribute, feel free.

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
I doubt you'll be able to move everything to four days. There's sure to be at least one stream of lectures where you can't move at all which force you to come five days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)