Which Ext-2 topics have you done? (1 Viewer)

ssglain

HSC
I notice a lot of questions on conics and polynomials being asked around here so I'm assuming some school are currently doing these topics, which makes me a bit concerned about the rate at which my school is teaching the course, despite our teacher's constant reassurances. I've also heard from friends who did Ext-2 last year, not only from my school but others as well, that they couldn't finish it thoroughly, so by the end a lot of aspects were only very vaguely touched on. And then there are those rumours about certain schools that make all their potential Ext-2 students sit for the 2U HSC in Yr 11 so they can spend two terms of Yr 12 finishing all the Ext-1 and Ext-2 topics and the rest revising and revising more. In short, I'm a bit worried.

So, for a bit of comparison:
Which topics have you covered at school?
Which topic is your school currently teaching?
And also which topics have you learnt/are you currently learning externally?

The only Ext-2 topic my school has completed is Complex Numbers and we are just starting Curve Sketching. Also I've self-taught Integration.

Mill

HSC
You are a little behind but not excessively so.

sonic1988

The Rookie
HSC
i have done complex no, polynomials. i m doing conics now

P

pLuvia

I think we were about the same pace as your school when I did my HSC, having already learnt most of the topics at tutor though. But then we had extra classes for 4u by cutting down the 3u classes since we had already finished the course by 3rd term (2nd term this year)

haque

HSC
I'd advise going ahead urself-at this stage we had finished conics complex nos-we didn't manage to fit everything for the hsc-lots of topics were just rushed through

Eddyah

HSC
Fuck off...completed polynomials and complex numbers. My school is waaay behind

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
At my school, we've done Complex No and Harder 3U Inequalities last term and we're about half way through Conics.

I'm even more behind though as Conics has seriously bamboozled me.

haque

HSC
Eddyah said:
Fuck off...completed polynomials and complex numbers. My school is waaay behind
Who was that directed at and why use such coarse language?

kony

HSC
school learnt: complex numbers. (haven't had one class of 4u this year yet)
tutor learnt: conics, all of integration except reduction formula
self-learnt: polynomials, curve sketching

to do: volumes, mechanics, harder 3u.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
haque said:
Who was that directed at and why use such coarse language?
it looks just as if the poster was frustrated by how seemingly far behind his class is...but i agree the language was uncalled for.

bear in mind people that complex numbers, integration and mechanics are by far the longest topics, followed by harder 3 unit and conics, then the others (polynomials, graphs, volumes) can be flown through very quickly.....

this is just so people know not to be worried if they've only completed a couple of topics

good luck everyone, and don't stress!!

haque

HSC
ianc's right-there are some chapters that r really short so u shouldn't spend much time on it-harder 3u probably takes the longest time(to cover properly)

E

Ea22.007

schools done
complex, graphs, polynomial, halfway thru conics

G

gaoOO

We're really behind, and i go to a "good" school as well.

We've only done complex numbers and graph sketching. Apparently there's a chance we won't finish the course by the HSC- how do they expect us to get good marks?

kony

HSC
Ea22.007 said:
schools done
complex, graphs, polynomial, halfway thru conics
gosh that's a lot for 1.5 terms! which school is this?

rtkl

HSC
We've completed complex numbers ,juz finished polynomials and now starting to do graphs

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Ideally, you should have completed about 3 topics by now and finish 4 topics by the end of Term 1. Most schools would just complete 3 topics as a bare minimum by the end of Term 1. So if you've just started on the 3rd topic, don't worry, you're not that behind.
What most schools tend to do is rush the 'Mechanics' topic in order to finish on schedule. Even a few selective schools do this. My school spent only 3-4 weeks on it. Mechanics is actually the largest topic from the course with a bit more material packed into it than Conics and Complex Numbers (and if you did not do Physics, you may find Mechanics a bit more difficult to understand) and the frequency of schools rushing that kind of material is quite disturbing.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Trebla said:
What most schools tend to do is rush the 'Mechanics' topic in order to finish on schedule. Even a few selective schools do this. My school spent only 3-4 weeks on it. Mechanics is actually the largest topic from the course with a bit more material packed into it than Conics and Complex Numbers (and if you did not do Physics, you may find Mechanics a bit more difficult to understand) and the frequency of schools rushing that kind of material is quite disturbing.
Funny how you just mentioned that because my teacher was talking about it today and his plan is to teach mechanics thoroughly and rush through graphs if we are behind on schedule. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)