Which is best for weight loss, exercise or diet? (1 Viewer)

rozymisty

HSC
I am edging 90kg and I am upset and miserable about that fact. Now I decided to go to the personal trainer for $65 for an hr once a wk....i was talking to mum tonight and she feels that i should spend the $65 on seeing a dietician...

Which do you think is better? I know both are the best to do together but yeah...I feel i need to do both but with me having little motivation to get up to the gym when I have days off or am doing an early shift, i find it would be better to do the PT once a wk....

quik.

HSC
Honestly?

The answer is both are important and that you should save your money. Unless you have a medical condition requiring specific nutritional needs be met/worked around, you already know what is healthy and what is not. You already know what to eat and how much of it.

On the off chance that you DON'T know, it is very simple to figure out.

You also have a wealth of free resources (the internet is useful for research and such) on training. Many personal trainers are absolutely horrible, researching things yourself and getting started with a good plan will get you much better results imo.

If you are only getting one session from one or the other, I would pick the nutritionist and compare the information and advice they give you to solid personal research, but it's still a waste of cash.

chamelia

HSC
As said above, save your money.

Eat healthy. Stop eating packaged, carb filled foods. Eat less calories per day.

If you do want to work out more and have the cash - join a gym. If you are self motivated and have the time - download free workout vids from the net - Workout Videos - ExerciseTV

You don't need a dietician or trainer. You can do it yourself with a little self motivation.

Tim035

HSC
You can do it yourself with a little self motivation.
This would be the one and only underlying reason to do personal training sessions, if you feel you can't motivate yourself or just really need a kick start, then a couple of sessions could help (mind you they will call you constantly suggesting you continue training with them for atleast X period of time grr...).
Just make sure they are well qualified and experienced in training individuals who come from a similar position as yourself. So many of them are just gym junkies that decided to do a 6 month tafe course in personal training.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I am edging 90kg and I am upset and miserable about that fact. Now I decided to go to the personal trainer for $65 for an hr once a wk....i was talking to mum tonight and she feels that i should spend the $65 on seeing a dietician...

Which do you think is better? I know both are the best to do together but yeah...I feel i need to do both but with me having little motivation to get up to the gym when I have days off or am doing an early shift, i find it would be better to do the PT once a wk....
Personally, I think all you need to know about nutrition can be found online or in books. My boyfriend has been struggling with weight and I have been helping him and this is what I have learnt. Both is important but I think the personal trainer will help you more. I am not trying to be preachy, just trying to give you some simple tips.

First of all EAT breakfast, so many people I know who struggle with weight do not eat a proper breakfast. Even if you don't feel like it start with a glass of milo milk or something you can tolerate and you will find once your body gets used to it you will feel like breakfast. IT is essential in getting your metabolism started.

Second, EAT small but frequent meals, it is suggested you eat five to six smaller meals rather than three big meals. Your meals should start off bigger and get smaller over the day. If you have a snack between breakfast and lunch you wont need a massive lunch. Just make sure your meals are healthy and filling.

Sometimes you need to force yourself to prepare your meals and pack snacks. Don't cut out carbs or eat less and less, often people aren't eating enough good food. If you eat too little your body stores it as fat, unsure of when it will next get food.

Do not 'diet' in the sense that you deny yourself as this always leads to binging. Just eat in moderation and make healthy choices. If you want a fried piece of fish have salad with it instead of chips, or have grilled fish with chips for example.

Look up the low gi diet, its one of the healthiest ways to lose weight. Also try weight watches, they teach you how to eat healthy and I don't know anyone who was hungry on their program.

Good luck and use the internet there is heaps of info out there.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Dietitians are fucking idiots and every dietitian I've worked with is fat. It's paradoxical.

And worthless.

Anyone can learn good eating habits without paying for it, it starts with cutting down on fats and shit food and replacing them with healthier alternatives. Nuts instead of chips for a snack, shit like that.

idk it's fairly basic.

russs

yeeeee
HSC

Don't spend money on either.

Learn how to motivate yourself. If you look around the gym, the most successful people there are self-motivated.

If you can't motivate yourself to train and fix your weight problem, no personal trainer will help you.

Here is all the diet advice you need:

Cereal + Milk
Tuna Sandwiches
Chicken Breasts
Vegetables
Eggs
Rice
Salmon/Sushi

Here is the training advice:

60 Min running until you nearly pass out every day of the week.

Do this for 2 weeks, check the scales. If you don't loose weight, see a doctor.

quik.

HSC
Most cereals are basically candy in a box, be careful read the box etc if you choose to have them for breakfast

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A
your lack of self-motivation is normal, the hardest part is getting into a routine, imo.
from there its pretty smooth sailing.
eventually, you will find that your day is incomplete without exercise and you will subconsciously bypass foods that aren't good for you.

rozymisty

HSC
Thanks for the advice.

My sister is hopefully going to join Fitness First with me and then come to the gym with me, get me off my arse and help do weights etc...feel so weird doing them alone... will be good to finally have someone come with me.

Zozo6969

HSC
dieticians are useless because anyone can read the nutritional info and the amount of calories in food. avg calories is about 2000 per day, men are slightly higher than women, and the heavier u r, the more calories u need. dont starve, try eat every 2 hours and at least 5-6 times a day. aim for calorie consumption of about 75% of what your intake should be.

personal trainers are pretty useless too, they just tell u how to use a machine or do an exercise. there are endless free websites for all this. may be advisible to join a gym if u still want to use weights, and since ur paying for it, ur more inclined to use it more often than just going for a jog. best time to work out is morning on an empty stomach, and at moderate intensity. this is where heartrate is at about 60-65% of its max. walking is widely acknowledged as the best exercise to lose weight as it uses more calories than riding a bike or other forms since u r carrying ur own weight, not sitting down. if an exercise is intense, u firstly burn carbs youve eaten then start breaking down muscle. when it is moderate u burn the carbs then start breaking down fat. intervals are also good for weight loss. if u are weight training too, do weights first, cardio last.

i believe supplements are also pretty important. protein powders help a fair bit in recovery and diet. get one that has no fat, a little carbs, and at least 75% protein. many also have additives like l-carnitine to break down fat, t3 fat mobilisers and thermogenic effects such as caffeine, guarana and green tea extract (although these are pretty dangerous if overconsumed so maybe best to leave these). additives are also available in capsules.

losing weight isnt easy, but is infinitely worth it

dood09

Frontier Psychiatrist ☻
HSC
N/A
starve the shit out of yourself imo tbh

Silent_Sniper

Watching you through my sniper scope!!! Getting re
HSC
dieticians are useless because anyone can read the nutritional info and the amount of calories in food. avg calories is about 2000 per day, men are slightly higher than women, and the heavier u r, the more calories u need. dont starve, try eat every 2 hours and at least 5-6 times a day. aim for calorie consumption of about 75% of what your intake should be.

personal trainers are pretty useless too, they just tell u how to use a machine or do an exercise. there are endless free websites for all this. may be advisible to join a gym if u still want to use weights, and since ur paying for it, ur more inclined to use it more often than just going for a jog. best time to work out is morning on an empty stomach, and at moderate intensity. this is where heartrate is at about 60-65% of its max. walking is widely acknowledged as the best exercise to lose weight as it uses more calories than riding a bike or other forms since u r carrying ur own weight, not sitting down. if an exercise is intense, u firstly burn carbs youve eaten then start breaking down muscle. when it is moderate u burn the carbs then start breaking down fat. intervals are also good for weight loss. if u are weight training too, do weights first, cardio last.

i believe supplements are also pretty important. protein powders help a fair bit in recovery and diet. get one that has no fat, a little carbs, and at least 75% protein. many also have additives like l-carnitine to break down fat, t3 fat mobilisers and thermogenic effects such as caffeine, guarana and green tea extract (although these are pretty dangerous if overconsumed so maybe best to leave these). additives are also available in capsules.

losing weight isnt easy, but is infinitely worth it

Great information!!! +rep!

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
nutrition > sleep > exercise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)