Which is the best tutoring service?? (1 Viewer)

claudiflower

HSC
There are way too many, all I know is I live in a regional area so ones that are online are preferable, need a lot of subjects, need it to be reasonably cheap and I need a very patient tutor willing to deal with my mental illnesses lmao.

tutesmart? edxlearning? matrix? art of smart? talent 100? dux college? random people on Facebook? You guys tell me :p

idkkdi

HSC
There are way too many, all I know is I live in a regional area so ones that are online are preferable, need a lot of subjects, need it to be reasonably cheap and I need a very patient tutor willing to deal with my mental illnesses lmao.

tutesmart? edxlearning? matrix? art of smart? talent 100? dux college? random people on Facebook? You guys tell me :p
reasonably cheap varies a lot lol.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad

Depends quite a lot on the subject. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a major tutoring centre that’s known to be good for everything. If you need a tutor for your needs as you suggested I would probably recommend not going with a tutoring centre. In my experience they are pretty fast paced and wouldn’t cater to your specific needs as much as a private tutor.

Qeru

HSC

If you can find a 1on1 tutoring below $50 with a decent history and decent marks I would do that, since it looks like group classes may not be for you because of your mental illness (although I am a bit biased against them).

claudiflower

HSC
If you can find a 1on1 tutoring below $50 with a decent history and decent marks I would do that, since it looks like group classes may not be for you because of your mental illness (although I am a bit biased against them).
The group thing makes a lot of sense, I can still be afraid to ask questions in groups or id feel bad if they understand something and I don't yet haha.

claudiflower

HSC
Depends quite a lot on the subject. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a major tutoring centre that’s known to be good for everything. If you need a tutor for your needs as you suggested I would probably recommend not going with a tutoring centre. In my experience they are pretty fast paced and wouldn’t cater to your specific needs as much as a private tutor.
The subjects i'm doing this year are biology, maths standard 2, modern history and extension history :) I should have added that to the post. Could you maybe expand on what fast paced means? do you mean they kinda try to get through the whole syllabus instead of major focus on say exam prep questions or specific struggles?

claudiflower

HSC
reasonably cheap varies a lot lol.
Thats true, the best deal I can probably see so far is tutesmart, 33 dollars for access to a forum with tutors of all subjects plus one group class a week, I think i'd prefer 1 on 1 tho.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Claudiflower, I think that the characteristics to look for in a tutor are:
  • willing and able to individualise lessons for your needs - so they will respond to what you need, rather than trying to fit (or force) you into a mould for a pre-prepared set of activities. - and also to work at a pace that suits you. If the pace is too fast for you, the amount you will learn is much reduced. I believe it is better to work at a pace you can cope with and if this means not everything is covered, then either more time is needed or a discussion on what to prioritise is needed.
  • if you want to rote learn algorithms through repetitive practice, that is your choice - and in that case, group lessons (which are cheaper) may work well (note: not all group lessons are like this, but certainly some are) - but if your goal is understanding, make sure the tutor shares that goal. The tutor-student relationship needs to have mutual understanding, shared goals, and trust, so it is inevitable that some student / tutor combinations will not work out. This can happen because one side is not putting in the effort, or communication is ineffective, or a variety of reasons, and that is ok - just recognise when it isn't working and move on.
  • open to you asking questions and thus making sure you feel safe and comfortable talking with them, being open about your struggles (academic and those that impact on academics)
  • a style that fits with you, and especially the willingness to adapt when you don't understand - in other words, if an explanation doesn't make sense to you, you need to feel able to say so, and the tutor needs to be able to try a different approach to help you understand
  • questions / materials for exam preparation where you are assisted to recognise mistakes, see how to correct them, and to learn the skills of answering under exam conditions - telling you the answer is much less helpful than helping you to understand the theory and apply it to get to the answer yourself
Just some food for thought! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)